• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Aix | cuisine du terroir

epicurious

The food was terrific... oysters, foie gras, bison, chocolate soufflé (been eating carrot sticks since then...) with great wines. The only downside was the attitude of one of the waitresses (we had many peope serving us that night, as the place was really busy). First she made a fellow staff member wrong in front of us, then came out to "challenge" my fiancé when his dish ended up not being what he ordered, telling him HE made the mistake! After a quick chat with the maître-d' about our lack of satisfaction with the service, we were offered a nice bottle of dessert wine, which was a nice way to deal with this. But the rest of the staff was very pleasant and helpful and we ended up leaving the place very satisfied with our evening. I would definitely recommand it!

So here I am, getting ready to tour the local circuit again after travelling like a mad man. Inlaws are back from sailing the world, ready to take the kids on a last minute notice. As I look forward to sleeping in for the first time in my life in the last 5 years at Hotel Place D'Armes and tasting the Aix dishes, I am told the chef is on paternity leave ? Will I ever get a lucky break ?

Congrats to the chef, I know exactly what you are going through, but please, make it short, I want to see some magic next week end ! Trust me, your man breasts have no chance in the early days.

So here I am, getting ready to tour the local circuit again after travelling like a mad man. Inlaws are back from sailing the world, ready to take the kids on a last minute notice. As I look forward to sleeping in for the first time in my life in the last 5 years at Hotel Place D'Armes and tasting the Aix dishes, I am told the chef is on paternity leave ? Will I ever get a lucky break ?

Congrats to the chef, I know exactly what you are going through, but please, make it short, I want to see some magic next week end ! Trust me, your man breasts have no chance in the early days.

Identifiler, don't worry about the magic this upcoming weekend. You are in good hands with our current chef Anthony Young. He has actually taken the reins for quite some time now, being promoted to chef de cuisine way before Janick's paternity leave. The menu epicurious sampled was actually Anthony's.

Epicurious, sorry to hear about that one loose end. I am really glad to hear you enjoyed the rest of your evening.

Dimitri

• 2 weeks later...

The food was perfectly prepared at Aix, nothing was mind blowing but I rarely had such perfectly seasoned, cooked dish in a long time. Simple and elegant. I had seabass, she had braised lamb, the broths, spritzels, finger potatoes, baby carrots were really all good. I can't comment on price, I did not see the bill. The wine list could be more intricate. Lots of christmas office parties everywhere in Montreal.