• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sign in to follow this  
alexhills

wild mushroom/truffle stores in SF?

I'm cooking thanksgiving for a couple of vegetarians and was thinking I'd go with some kind of mushroom and/or truffle risotto. Can anyone recommend any stores in SF that have nice selections?? Fresh wild mushrooms and the odd proper truffle (summer truffles booooo....) would be especially appreciated... cheers, Alex

There's a mushroom shop at the ferry building. The truffles I saw there yesterday were domestic, but the other mushrooms looked good.

Where do you live? Besides the Ferry Building which Melkor mentioned, the Pasta Shop in Berkeley has a great selection as well. They also carry imported truffles.

Edited to add that when I was at 99 Ranch last weekend, they not only had some great Asian mushrooms (maitake, shiitake, and woodear) as well as chanterelles. Really inexpensive!

Edited by Carolyn Tillie (log)

There's a mushroom shop at the ferry building.  The truffles I saw there yesterday were domestic, but the other mushrooms looked good.

The Whole Foods store on California/Franklin is bursting with mushrooms right now. Just saw the biggest display of chanterelles ever.

I don't know if you have a Japanese store near you, but usually they are stocked with a bunch of different kinds of mushrooms, not sure if they're the kind you want though.

I love cold Dinty Moore beef stew. It is like dog food! And I am like a dog.

--NeroW

Where do you live? Besides the Ferry Building which Melkor mentioned, the Pasta Shop in Berkeley has a great selection as well. They also carry imported truffles.

An addition to Carolyn's comment. There's also a Pasta Shop in Oakland, part of the Market Hall complex near Rockridge.

Derrick Schneider

My blog: http://www.obsessionwithfood.com

You have to eat. You might as well enjoy it!

I'm cooking thanksgiving for a couple of vegetarians and was thinking I'd go with some kind of mushroom and/or truffle risotto. Can anyone recommend any stores in SF that have nice selections?? Fresh wild mushrooms and the odd proper truffle (summer truffles booooo....) would be especially appreciated...  cheers, Alex

The mushroom shop at the Ferry Building (Far West Fungi), which others have mentioned, had black truffles from France and a few white ones from Alba last Saturday. The incredible heat wave in Europe last year sent prices sky-high, and they don't seem to have come down much at all this year. Far West was selling white truffles for around $230/oz last weekend. I didn't buy any, but I took a sniff of one little one that they had in its own holder ... it was the most intense truffle smell I've ever experienced. Pretty amazing.

They also had fresh porcini, chanterelles, black trumpets, cinnamon caps, and a few small matsutake. I've been really pleased with everything I've gotten there, though they do charge Ferry Building prices.

Far West was selling white truffles for around $230/oz last weekend.  I didn't buy any, but I took a sniff of one little one that they had in its own holder ... it was the most intense truffle smell I've ever experienced.  Pretty amazing.

I'm surprised they didn't charge for the smell.

I am so glad I can easily live without truffles or foie gras. I know, more for the rest of you, but JeeeeeHOvah.

I'm waiting for someone to brag that their Humvee gets mileage similar to this cost. $230/gas per ounce (or gallon, let's be generous). "Decline and fall of the Roman Empire for $800, Alex?"

On the other hand, I'm friends with some mushroom foragers who are having a great year, though not at the $3700/pound level.

The mushroom shop at the Ferry Building (Far West Fungi), which others have mentioned, had black truffles from France and a few white ones from Alba last Saturday.  The incredible heat wave in Europe last year sent prices sky-high, and they don't seem to have come down much at all this year.  Far West was selling white truffles for around $230/oz last weekend.  I didn't buy any, but I took a sniff of one little one that they had in its own holder ... it was the most intense truffle smell I've ever experienced.  Pretty amazing.

D'Artagnan has white truffles for $175/oz. Hardly cheap, but even with shipping a fair bit better than the ferry building.

Well, I shall head to the ferry building this afternoon and report back. $230/ounce might be a little steep for the white truffles..... sigh.... On the UK board people were buying them for around $4500/kg which if my metric conversion is right is about half the price. Fresh porcini seems, indeed, less likely provoke the fall of our new rome... give me truffles over gasoline any day though.

It may be a little late now (and it isn't in SF), but I've often found a very good selection of mushrooms at a very good prices at Monterey Market in North Berkeley. I bought chanterelles there last Friday at $9.00/pound. I've gotten fresh porcini and black truffles there in the past as well. And with the Monterey Fish Market and Magnani Poultry up the street . . . what a fun trip.

The mushroom seller in the Ferry Building seems pretty good. While higher than Monterey Market, the prices seem to be within the bounds of reason (white truffles notwithstanding).

The mushroom seller at the Marin Farmer's Market, however, is ridiculously overpriced. When Monterey Market was selling chanterelles for $9/pound earlier in nthe fall, the farmer's market price was, I think $25/pound. Just a little rant.

Charley Martel

Far West was selling white truffles for around $230/oz last weekend.  I didn't buy any, but I took a sniff of one little one that they had in its own holder ... it was the most intense truffle smell I've ever experienced.  Pretty amazing.

I'm surprised they didn't charge for the smell.

Y'know, I would've been willing to pay for that smell. I've joked about that before, at a truffle dinner at La Folie where they brought out the basket of black truffles and let us take a sniff ("that was probably a two-buck sniff right there!"), but the aroma of the white truffle at Far West was truly in a league of its own.

One of my friends, who I took to the Ferry Building for the first time a couple months ago, commented that one of the best things about it was all the free good smells. And while truffles are anywhere in the neighborhood of $230/oz, free smells are all I'm going to be having.

Well, just made my trip to Far West. It has to be admitted that in a way the process does seem slightly illict, all that weighing and sizing up... However, I bought one very excellent looking fresh porcini, a tub of black trumpets and an Oregon black truffle. The truffle smells pretty nice and potent actually, a good size and texture, $25/ounce. They had euro black and oregon white as well, no imported white at the moment. The oregon white was pretty underwhelming on the nose and they were very small, only $16/ounce. Thanks for the tips on where to go, now looking forward to eating the fellas....

The Berkeley Bowl is my favorite place to get wild mushrooms, but I doubt they have truffles. The Bowl almost always has a half-dozen different types of wild mushrooms and their prices are really great. The last time I purchased chanterelles there I did so for under $15/lb, which might not sound like a great price to everyone, but it sure did to me. In the past I've purchased morels, lobster mushrooms, as well as your more common shiitake, portobello, etc...

I recommend taking a look if you're looking for wild mushrooms.

I also agree that you should take a look at the place at the Ferry Building for the mushrooms. I got some of the French black truffles a while ago and I would definitely buy them again. I can't wait to try the alba truffles... as for whether I'll work up the courage to put down that much cash...

The Bowl almost always has a half-dozen different types of wild mushrooms and their prices are really great. The last time I purchased chanterelles there I did so for under $15/lb, which might not sound like a great price to everyone, but it sure did to me.
Tonight Bi-Rite market on 18th Street in the City had chanterelles for $14 and change per pound. Nice-looking ones, too. Too bad they were not in the budget for today's shopping.

Cheers,

Squeat

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Bhukhhad
      Breakfast in India vs Breakfast in our homes outside India
      My breakfasts have varied from the time I started to cook for myself instead of just enjoying my Mother’s cooking. At first they were a mix-match of meal fixings, or just dinner leftovers. Or the good old breakfast cereal and milk. But as the years passed and I was more organized, the meals I enjoyed in my Mother’s home began to swim in my memories. And I began to prepare those for my family. However, I am no amazonian chef, so depending on  the hectic nature of the days plans, I switched back and forth from convenience with taste, to elaborate and of course tasty breakfasts. We do have both vegetarian and non vegetarian foods but Indian breakfasts will mostly be vegetarian. 
      So here are some of the things I might make: 

1. Poha as in mostly ‘kande pohe’.
      2. Cheela/ Pudla
      3. Masala toast
      4. Indian Omelette
      5. Handwo piece
      6. Thepla
      7. Vaghareli rotli
      8. Dhokla chutney
      9. Idli sambhar
      10. Leftover sabji
      11. Muthiya
      12. Khakhra
      13. Upma
      14. Paratha

1. Kande Pohe: 
      The dish derives its name from Maharashtra where the Kande Pohe are celebrated as breakfast. They can of course like any breakfast, be eaten at any time. 
      Pohe/ Poha are steamed rice grains that have been beaten flat and then again redried. So they are like Rice flakes. Except they are hand pounded, so have a knobbly texture. 
      You get several varieties in the market. I prefer the thick white variety. 

1 cup dry poha per person
      1 medium onion sliced
      1/2 jalapeno deseeded
      1 sprig curry leaves
      2 small garlic cloves
      1/4 t cumin seeds
      1/2 lemon 
      1/8 t asafoetida
      1/4 t turmeric
      small handful of cilantro leaves
      1T fresh grated coconut
      2 T Peanut oil 
      salt to taste
      sugar to taste

In a pan heat some oil and add cumin seeds. When the seeds sputter, add sliced onions and stir. Saute on medium heat till they turn slightly browned here and there. Do not burn the onions. 
      Meanwhile wash the Poha in a colander and drain. Do this two or three times to get rid of any dirt and also to allow them to rehydrate. They do not need soaking. Fluff the poha with a fork. Add salt sugar turmeric asafoetida and chopped cilantro. Mix and set aside. 
      Once the onions are ready add minced garlic and chopped jalapeno along with the curry leaf sprig. 
      Turn the heat to low and add the poha mixture. Stir to coat and to allow the turmeric and asafoetida to cook. The poha will turn mildly yellow and start giving a wonderful fragrance. 
      Turn off the heat. Fluff gently and plate. Garnish with fresh grated coconut and a squeeze of lemon juice. 
      Finger licking good!! 
      Now when I make this next I will post a picture. 
      Update: Ok I felt the urge to have Kande Pohe for tonight’s dinner. So here is a picture. I am certain to enjoy it for breakfast as well. The measurement of 1 cup poha per person is too much for one meal. But carried over to another meal thats super good! I will also have some stir fried bok choy greens made in the same kadhai after the poha was done, and some cooked and sliced beetroot for salad. My family will add some haldiram sev on the poha for extra crunch! And we will all have some chaas to round off this meal. 

2. Cheela/ Pudla

These are essentially crepes but in the Indian style. 
      1/2 cup sieved garbanzo bean (Besan) flour. 
      Water to form a thin batter
      1T plain yogurt 
      1/2 t ginger garlic paste 
      1/4 or less green chili crushed
      2 t heated oil *
      pinch asafoetida
      pinch turmeric 
      salt to taste
      chopped cilantro (two sprigs)
      some ‘masala’ from a readymade pickle

Method:

mix the ingredients together except oil. Heat oil in a separate pan and add about 1 to 2 t of the hot oil onto the batter. It will sizzle. Use a whisk to stir thoroughly. The batter should be pouring consistency. 
      Let the batter soak for about half an hour if possible. 
      On a hot griddle, pour a ladle full of the batter. Turn the griddle with your wrist to spread the batter around. Cook on moderate to high flame. Flip the crepe when all the sides look like they are ready. You can add a little oil to the sides of the frying pan to make the edges crispy. 

In my home we usually have a Besan cheela with some yogurt its a quick and filling breakfast. You can have a small salad or fruit with it to make it more complete. Or fill the center of the cheela with some cottage cheese and fold for added creaminess! 
      3. Masala Toast : 

1 slice of bread (your choice) toasted
      1/2 small red onion minced
      1 medium roma tomato diced (or whatever you have)
      cilantro (few leaves)
      1/8 t cumin (optional)
      1/4 t chaat masala ( available in stores)
      1 inch cube paneer
      1 T peanut oil
      pinch turmeric (optional)

Heat the oil in a pan and saute the onions. Add the tomato and cook down to mush. Crumble the paneer and add the dry spices. Stir for a few seconds to warm the paneer. Add the cilantro and though I have not written it as an ingredient, I like a few drops of lemon juice. Do not overcook paneer.
      I started this topic because someone asked for Indian recipes on the new forum. I don’t think they have seen any yet. I hope they find this useful. I am enjoying it. 

I will add recipes to the list slowly. I have to however add that after a certain ‘age’ I have now resorted to having to make sure I have three things for breakfast besides coffee: a glass of water, a small portion of fruit and a small portion of some protein not necessarily meat. 
      Bhukkhad

• By David Ross
      Ah, the avocado! For many of us, this humble little fruit inspires only one dish. Yet the avocado has a culinary history that is deeper than we may understand.

The avocado (Persea Americana) is a tree thought to have originated in South Central Mexico.  It’s a member of the flowering plant family Lauraceae.  The fruit of the plant - yes, it's a fruit and not a vegetable - is also called avocado.

Avocados grow in tropical and warm climates throughout the world.  The season in California typically runs from February through September, but avocados from Mexico are now available year-round.

The avocado has a higher fat content than other fruits, and as such serves as an important staple in the diet of consumers who are seeking other sources of protein than meats and fatty foods.  Avocado oil has found a new customer base due to its flavor in dressings and sauces and the high smoke point is favorable when sautéing meat and seafood. 

In recent years, due in part to catchy television commercials and the influence of Pinterest, the avocado has seen a resurgence in popularity with home cooks and professionals.  Walk into your local casual spot and the menu will undoubtedly have some derivation of avocado toast, typically topped with bacon.  Avocados have found a rightful place back on fine dining menus, but unfortunately all too often over-worked dishes with too many ingredients and garnishes erase the pure taste and silky texture of an avocado. 

When I think of an avocado it’s the Hass variety.  However, a friend who lives in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida, can buy Choquette, Hall and Lulu avocados in the local markets.  This link provides good information about the different varieties of avocados, when they’re in season and the differences in taste and texture. https://www.foodrepublic.com/2012/10/18/know-your-avocado-varieties-and-when-theyre-in-season/

I for one must challenge myself to start eating and cooking more avocados.  I think my recipe for guacamole served with chicharrones is superb, and the cobb salad with large chunks of ripe avocado is delicious, but as a close friend recently said, “one person’s ‘not especially new’ is another’s “eureka moment.” Well said and as history tells us, we’ll find plenty of eureka moments as we discuss and share our tales and dishes of avocado during eG Cook-Off #81: The Avocado.

Fun fact: The name avocado derives from the Nahuatl word “ahuacatl,” which was also slang for “testicle.”
      See the complete eG Cook-Off Index here https://forums.egullet.org/topic/143994-egullet-recipe-cook-off-index/
    • By liuzhou
      Perhaps the food-related question I get asked most through my blog is “What's it like for vegetarians and vegans in China. The same question came up recently on another thread, so I put this together. Hope it's useful. It would also, be great to hear other people's experience and solutions.

For the sake of typing convenience I’m going to conflate 'vegetarians and vegan' into just 'vegetarian' except where strictly relevant.
      First a declaration of non-interest. I am very carnivorous, but I have known vegetarians who have passed through China, some staying only a few weeks, others staying for years.

Being vegetarian in China is a complicated issue. In some ways, China is probably one of the best countries in which to be vegetarian. In other ways, it is one of the worst.

I spent a couple of years in Gorbachev-era Russia and saw the empty supermarkets and markets. I saw people line up for hours to buy a bit of bread.. So, when I first came to China, I kind of expected the same. Instead, the first market I visited astounded me. The place was piled high with food, including around 30 different types of tofu, countless varieties of steamed buns and flat breads and scores of different vegetables, both fresh and preserved, most of which I didn't recognise. And so cheap I could hardly convert into any western currency.
      If you are able to self-cater then China is heaven for vegetarians. For short term visitors dependent on restaurants or street food, the story is very different.

Despite the perception of a Buddhist tradition (not that strong, actually), very few Chinese are vegetarian and many just do not understand the concept. Explaining in a restaurant that you don't eat meat is no guarantee that you won't be served meat.

Meat is seen in China as a status symbol. If you are rich, you eat more meat.And everyone knows all foreigners are rich, so of course they eat meat! Meat eating is very much on the rise as China gets more rich - even to the extent of worrying many economists, food scientists etc. who fear the demand is pushing up prices and is environmentally dangerous. But that's another issue. Obesity is also more and more of a problem.
      Banquet meals as served in large hotels and banquet dedicated restaurants will typically have a lot more meat dishes than a smaller family restaurant. Also the amount of meat in any dish will be greater in the banquet style places.

Traditional Chinese cooking is/was very vegetable orientated. I still see my neighbours come home from the market with their catch of greenery every morning. However, whereas meat wasn't the central component of dinner, it was used almost as a condiment or seasoning. Your stir fried tofu dish may come with a scattering of ground pork on top, for example. This will not usually be mentioned on the menu.
      Simple stir fried vegetables are often cooked in lard (pig fat) to 'improve' the flavour.

Another problem is that the Chinese word for meat (肉), when used on its own refers to pork. Other meats are specified, eg (beef) is 牛肉, literally cattle meat. What this means is that when you say you don't eat meat, they often think you mean you don't eat pork (something they do understand from the Chinese Muslim community), so they rush off to the kitchen and cook you up some stir fried chicken! I've actually heard a waitress saying to someone that chicken isn't meat. Also, few Chinese wait staff or cooks seem to know that ham is pig meat. I have also had a waitress argue ferociously with me that the unasked for ham in a dish of egg fried rice wasn't meat.

Also, Chinese restaurant dishes are often given have really flowery, poetic names which tell you nothing of the contents. Chinese speakers have to ask. One dish on my local restaurant menu reads “Maternal Grandmother's Fluttering Fragrance.” It is, of course, spicy pork ribs!
      Away from the tourist places, where you probably don't want to be eating anyway, very few restaurants will have translations of any sort. Even the best places' translations will be indecipherable. I have been in restaurants where they have supplied an “English menu”, but if I didn't know Chinese would have been unable to order anything. It was gibberish.

To go back to Buddhism and Taoism, it is a mistake to assume that genuine followers of either (or more usually a mix of the two) are necessarily vegetarian. Many Chinese Buddhists are not. In fact, the Dalai Lama states in his autobiography that he is not vegetarian. It would be very difficult to survive in Tibet on a vegetarian diet.

There are vegetarian restaurants in many places (although the ones around where I am never seem to last more than six months). In the larger cities such as Beijing and Shanghai they are more easily findable.

Curiously, many of these restaurants make a point of emulating meat dishes. The menu reads like any meat using restaurant, but the “meat” is made from vegetable substitutes (often wheat gluten or konjac based).

To be continued
    • By Deeps
      This is one of my daughter favorite dishes, being mild and less spicy she loves this rice dish.  Its super easy to make and goes well with most Indian curries.
      Do try this out and I am sure you will be happy with the results.

Prep Time : 5 mins
      Cook Time: 5 mins
      Serves: 2

Ingredients:
      1 cup rice(basmati), cooked
      1/2 cup coconut, shredded or grated
      1 green chili, slit
      1 dried red chili
      1 1/2 tablespoon oil/ghee(clarified butter)
      1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
      1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
      1/2 tablespoon chana dal(split chickpeas)
      1/2 tablespoon urad dal(split black gram)
      1 teaspoon ginger, finely chopped
      A pinch of hing (asafoetida)
      Few curry leaves
      Salt to taste

Directions
      1) Heat oil/ghee(clarified butter) in a pan in medium flame. I used coconut oil here because it tastes best for this dish.
      2) Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, chana dal(split chickpeas), urad dal(split black gram), green chili, dried red chili, ginger and curry leaves. Fry this for 30 seconds in medium flame. The trick is to ensure that these are fried but not burned.
      3) Add a pinch of hing(asafoetida) and mix well.
      4) Now add the cooked rice and coconut. Stir well for about 15 to 20 seconds and switch off the flame.
      5) Finally add salt into this and mix well. You could add peanuts or cashew nuts if you prefer. Goes well with most curries.
    • By Ling
      Hi everyone! In our last Iron Baker challenge, I was given the task of coming up with a modern take on the retro classic Pineapple Upside-down Cake. For those who missed it the first time around, a picture of my creation can be found here. Now that the first round is over, it's my pleasure to introduce gfron1 as the next baker who will be presented with the new challenge!
      gfron1 is a very talented baker who has posted beautiful dessert creations in our Dessert thread. I am a huge fan. Here is a look at what he can do!
      So, my challenge to gfron1 is this:
      Make a dessert containing an animal ingredient or product other than lard or bacon by October 10th.
      I think all of us will be waiting with bated breath for whatever innovative/scary/(and most importantly) tasty combinations you come up with!
      (Now we just gotta wait around until he notices this thread and accepts... )
      P.S. If you're vegetarian, I can change the challenge.