• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Pho in Vancouver

cabrales

I would be interested in recent visits made by members to Pho Hoang on Main Street.  The food appears to me to have deterioriated -- including the spicy version of the soup for the beef noodles.  Do other members have data points?  :)

I'll vouch for Phnom Penh, with branches on West Broadway and East Pender. Not sure if that constitutes a data point, though. I have a friend in Vancouver who really knows this stuff, though. I'll see if I can cajole him into posting something about this.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

• 4 months later...

Pho Hoang has deteriorated somewhat relative to earlier visits, although I still consider it one of the better Vietnamese restaurants in Vancouver for "pho".

I had the noodle soup with beef balls and rare beef. The spicy version of the soup base for this dish was ordered. Sadly, instead of the nicely complex rendition of the spicy soup I remember, the soup sampled had undue sugar-based connotations. I liked the mixture of coriander, onion, parsley, etc. that was served with the soup, and the elastic texture of the beef balls.  :wink:

• 8 months later...

I have recently come off a Pho and Bah Mi binge. I love the food and the low budget operations that seem to be on every block here in Vancouver. For me the best can be found at Kim Phong (formerly Hoong Giong) on Victoria Drive.

This spot has recently changed hands and gone through some typical restaurant growing pains. however they still offer the best bowl of soup in town. The one I recomend is the spicy beef and pork with vermicelli. It is a bit unusual but authentic. Watch out though after you become a regular they start putting more and more unusual ingredients in you soup. My last visit netted me two squares of Pork Blood. I'm afraid that is about one mile south of where I draw the line. I managed to get one down. It had the same flavour as you get when you cut your finger and lick the blood. Yuk. I digress from the original point. All the Phos here are the best I have had.

David Cooper

"I'm no friggin genius". Rob Dibble

http://www.starlinebyirion.com/

Went to Pho Hoang today had the Pho with Rare Beef, Brisket and Tripe. This was my first visit to this place and all I can say is "not good". The broth was salty and dull. I began to think Knorr, oh no. However on my way out I looked in the kitchen and saw a pot with what looked like beef broth on the simmer so maybe it is authentic. If Denny's did Pho this would be the place. I would not recomend this place when there are so many better in the East Vancouver area like Kim Phong, Au petit Cafe, Dakao or Pho Thyng.

David Cooper

Coop -- Did you order the spicy broth, which has to be specifically requested?

I had a small-sized raw/rare beef pho at Pho Hoang recently. The item is Item #1 on the pho menu. The spicy broth (this has to be requested specifically, to a dining room team member that, in my case, had limited English skills) was good, although I have had it on other occasions when it was average. Small pho around $5; large around 6.50, depending on the variety.

Edited by cabrales (log)

The Pho Hoang on Main Street is a few blocks from both my studio and my home so I have found it's pho to be always available and very inconsistent. When it is good, it rocks. When it is less than good, it sucks. Fortunately it is better than worse for the most part.

Part great pho, part convenience for me. I still go back and find that the spicey broth with rare beef is a must and definitely insist on fresh thai basil with the dish.

Cabrales and Coop, care to join me for pho at the Hoang one day to compare the experience? Feel free to PM me on this one.

"Expect nothing, be prepared for anything."

I've never been to Pho Hoang before, but my personal favourite for Pho is Pho Lan on three road and Granville in Richmond. Out of the numerous Pho restaurants in the Lower Mainland that I've had the opportunity to try I find it has the tastiest soup, as well as the best meats.

One of these days I'll get my lazy butt over to Pho Hoang so that I can make a comparison :raz:

• 7 months later...

I have been back to Pho Hoang lately and found the pho to be a slight improvment. As for asking for something off the menu, I'm not up toasking the miserable women that work there for anything other then what's on the menu. Here is my list of great Vietnamese places:

1. Kim Phung, great Pho and friendly staff.

2. Le Do, Best all round Vietnamese, good pho, great Bahn Mi etc.

3. Pho Thy, best Bahn mi, best Curry, kind of an old school place, dumpy.

4. Au Petit Cafe, very good all round, busiest place in town.

David Cooper

Just tried Kim Phung, on Victoria drive just off 41st St.

Really nice little vietnamese place. Very busy yet smiling and inviting service,

small, cosy, down to earth atmosphere. It feels they just genuinely wanna warm you up with a good bowl of soup, and yep... that feeling is great ! :smile:

Coming from France, where opportunities for unexpensive, unprententious and good value food are abundant, i was certainly happy to discover Kim Phung.

Reminded me of these little authentic places i used to go to in Paris' chinatown. :rolleyes:

Had the rare beef vermicelli soup and the shrimp and meat rolls. Nicely flavoured stock, deep and rich, not fat, with hints of lemongrass, coriander and just enough garlic and onions. Decent beef, properly cooked + all the usual fixings, basil, soya...

Pretty good rolls with a traditional peanut dipping sauce.

At 5 bucks the small soup (and small is big enough !), this place is a valuable asset for Vancouver. We need more restaurants like this that offer such simple tasty food and such a great value for money.

Thanks for sharing your adresses, coop !

Edited by edm (log)

Eddy M., Chef & Owner

Se.ed Artisan Foods, Vancouver BC

Follow Se.ed's growth at: http://spaces.msn.com/members/fromseedtofood/

edm: They always make me feel warm and satisfied at Kim Phung. I'm glad you had the same experience. Have you tried Kintaro for Ramen? It is on Denman street on the east side of the street two doors north of Robson. It's a little more expensive (7.50) for a huge bowl of Ramen, but well worth the visit.

David Cooper

• 10 months later...
Shao Lin noodle house, 1/2 block west of cambie on broadway. south side. Damn fine soup and noodles.

this thread is a little dated, but I was hoping for some pho reccomendations. I have a pho passion, and I just moved from northern virginia where pho shops are a dime a dozen and they are amazing.

I'm living on the UBC campus so places close to there are preferred. But I will travel great distances for great pho!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wanna say something. I'm gonna put it out there; if you like it, you can take it, if you don't, send it right back. I want to be on you.

Kim Phong

On Coop's recommendation I made it there today. Interesting place, I seemed to be the only one who used the front door. I had the rare beef with tendon and flank, spiced it up and proceeded to sniffle my through the meal. It was very good, actually seasoned. Have been to others in Chinatown with zero flavor. The mini temples in the room added a nice touch. Spent the afternoon reading about a small restaurant/café on commercial doing inconceivable trade on a Sunday. Knowing the after affects I’m sure this can only be a windfall for food based businesses in the immediate area.

D.Hawksworth

Kim Phong - On Coop's recommendation I made it there today. Interesting place, I seemed to be the only one who used the front door. I had the rare beef with tendon and flank, spiced it up and proceeded to sniffle my through the meal. It was very good, actually seasoned.

That's too funny ... I was there the same day also based on Coop's rec (don't let it go to your head :wink: ). I had the same Pho' as well as what I thought were Spring Rolls. They tasted strangely like pork ... though I'm not sure if it was pork in the roll or in the fat used to fry them. They were OK ... but the Pho' was awesome.

I too used the front door, and felt very conspicuous doing so. :huh:

Arne

My personal favourite, which happens to be another of Coop's recommendations, is Pho Thy, on Victoria at 39th. The pho is excellent, and the spring rolls are superb. I think it's the spring rolls that keep me coming back.

I've also been curious to try a "Vietnamese sub", which I've seen at a number of places. What are they like?

I know a man who gave up smoking, drinking, sex, and rich food. He was healthy right up to the day he killed himself. - Johnny Carson