• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Due vini

Florida Jim

1999 Fontanavecchia, Vigna Cataratte Riserva:

After recently having this producer’s Grave Morae (surely the most abysmal wine I have tasted this year), I had low expectations. And this started off somewhat slick and glossy on the nose and palate with some noticeable oak. However, as it opened (which it never did completely) this wine showed more rustic with deeper flavors, substantial structure, somewhat grainy (but not drying) tannins and good persistence. The kind of wine to have with game, roasted meets or strong cheeses. We had it with pasta with gorgonzola and it was very nice, indeed.

2001 Alario Claudio, Docetto di Diano d’Alba Costa Fiore:

Diane made grilled sandwiches on olive bread with pesto, tomato, fresh mozzarella and sautéed Portobello’s and this wine was perfect accompaniment. Powerfully scented with rich, somewhat tart fruit and substantial tannin, concentration sufficient to balance the structure and no overt wood. I doubt that Dolcetto will ever be my first choice but there is no denying that this combination improved both the wine and food.

Thanks Nathan.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com