• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

WTN: 2000 Beckmen Grenache

Redwinger

2000 Beckmen Grenache, Purisima Mountain

I haven't opened one of these in quite a while, so I decided to see how they are doing. Everything is just fine.

Bright strawberry aromas which carry forward to the palate. Some eathy notes and a nice long pepper and spice finish bolstered by some soft tannins. A bit oak, but it is just part of the overall package and does not dominate at all. I don't recall the price on this, but something under $25 seems familiar.

We liked it a lot

I've not had a lot of wine from this vineyard, but regardless of producer, each bottle I've been fortunate to taste has been a joy to drink.

Best,

Curly

"I'm trying to think but nothing happens"

I'm sitting on an '01 at the moment. When I purchased it at the winery earlier this year, they suggested I lay it down for a couple of years. I believe it paid somewhere in the range of $25-30 for it.

Any early reports?

Liam

Eat it, eat it

If it's gettin' cold, reheat it

Have a big dinner, have a light snack

If you don't like it, you can't send it back

Just eat it -- Weird Al Yankovic

I'm sitting on an '01 at the moment. When I purchased it at the winery earlier this year, they suggested I lay it down for a couple of years. I believe it paid somewhere in the range of $25-30 for it.

Any early reports?

I've not tasted the 2001 Beckmen Grenache, but an acquantaince, with a palate I trust, prefers the '01 to the '00 vintage. He also claims it to be drinking nicely now, so if you have multiplke bottles, you just might want to pop the cock on one of them. If you do, please post a note.

Bill

"I'm trying to think but nothing happens"

When I was working in Los Angeles, I had the absolute delight of being invited to a private luncheon at Beckmen's home in Los Olivos. We had done a full tasting of all their offerings at the time (2002) and then a lovely paired luncheon in their home. Here are my notes from that adventure:

2000 Marsanne ~ Initial smell of muscat with peach and tropical tones. The first taste was tangy but softened to a light fruit. Believed to turn honey and/or nutty over age.

2000 Sauvignon Blanc ~ Diverse smell - citrus and apricot. Not the grassy smell I am used to with some SB''s. Clear, crisp on the tongue.

2000 Chardonnay ~ Full tasting with soft, tropical tones. Smells of butterscotch. Crisp but mellow. Light for a Chard. Hint of coconut.

2000 Grenache Rosé ~ Light, fluorescent salmon in color. Smelled of cotton candy. Tasted big and round, full of creamy texture. Finished dry.

2000 Grenach Purisima Mountain ~ Color of a Pyrope Garnet. Smelled of a light candy but tasted dry, berry/jammy with a chocolate finish.

1999 Cuvee le Bec ~ Blend: 53% Grenache, 22% Mourvedre, 25% Syrah. Aromatic upfront but hits the mouth with acid. Dry and tannic but ripens and ends fruity. Recommend age to soften.

1999 Purisima Mountain Syrah ~ Very dark burgundy in color. Smelled a bit of burnt wood. Deep, soft, round, and silky.

1999 Cabernet Sauvignon ~ Dark, rich color and structure. Smells of herbs and cassis. The stand-out of the tasting with a longer finish.

1999 Atelier ~ Blend: 63% CabFranc, 37% Merlot. Amazing California Bordeaux grape that hits the nose with chili pepper. Very spicy smell and hits the tongue with sharp chilis. Slightly cloudy in color. I just kept writing, "chilis, chilis, chilis."

tasted through the Beckmen line up in Seattle this summer. all were wonderful, but the Purisima grenache was a standout indeed.

i'm somehow recalling the retail as higher than that, but Wine Searcher tells me $30 at the high end. all the better. too bad no one in WA seems to want to stock it.