• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Restaurants Between DFW & Lake Charles

irodguy

Thinking about an excursion from Dallas to South Louisiana and then probably back up into Arkansas. So I am looking for suggestions.

I know of a few from travels years ago.

Tunks just outside Alexandria (is it still there?)

Prejeans in Lafayette.

Other suggestions? Or suggestions on other places to hit. Not planning on doing New Orleans on this trip, that's for sometime next year.

Never trust a skinny chef

Do you have a set route that you have to travel, or is this trip being dictated by food? I have forwarded this to Davebr as he can probably help you out alot more than I can on the East Texas/West Louisiana/Shreveport thing.

Brooks

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Thinking about an excursion from Dallas to South Louisiana and then probably back up into Arkansas.  So I am looking for suggestions.

What kind of food are you looking for??

Gorganzola, Provolone, Don't even get me started on this microphone.---MCA Beastie Boys

Food wise Cajun to Creole. Route would probably cut across the lake towards Alexandria and then some other back roads down would be fine. Then once on 10 cut back towards Houston then back home through San Antonio.

Rodney,

Just a little east of Shreveport (20 miles) take the Dixie Inn exit and turn left. The Crawfish Hole #2 is 1/3 mile down on the right. They have awesome crawfish pies, ettouffe, ect..

Move over Masabi, in Bossier City there is the Lucky Palace. It is in the lobby of the Ramada at the Isle of Capri exit. Dont be put off by the outside. Ask for Lim and tell him you are friends with Dave and you want what he eats.

Of course there is my place Bella Fresca. Dinner only, closed Sunday, and an eclectic menu.

For Lafayette: Skip Prejeans, I love Catahoula in Grand Cateau, Nash's in Broussard, Poor Boy's Riverside Inn, Poche's in Breaux Bridge, and any of the 5 places in Abbyville.

Lake Charles: Cafe Margeaux has a Master of Wine for an owner(one of like 50 people in the USA) and the food is good.

Will you be taking the Ferrari, Fiat, or Masarati?????

Gorganzola, Provolone, Don't even get me started on this microphone.---MCA Beastie Boys

Rodney,

Just a little east of Shreveport (20 miles) take the Dixie Inn exit and turn left.  The Crawfish Hole #2 is 1/3 mile down on the right.  They have awesome crawfish pies, ettouffe, ect..

Move over Masabi, in Bossier City there is the Lucky Palace.  It is in the lobby of the Ramada at the Isle of Capri exit.  Dont be put off by the outside.  Ask for Lim and tell him you are friends with Dave and you want what he eats.

Of course there is my place Bella Fresca. Dinner only, closed Sunday, and an eclectic menu.

For Lafayette: Skip Prejeans, I love Catahoula in Grand Cateau, Nash's in Broussard, Poor Boy's Riverside Inn, Poche's in Breaux Bridge, and any of the 5 places in Abbyville.

Lake Charles: Cafe Margeaux has a Master of Wine for an owner(one of like 50 people in the USA) and the food is good.

Will you be taking the Ferrari, Fiat, or Masarati?????

Actually taking the FIAT :wink: 22 MPG instead of 9 MPG :laugh: . Probably meeting up with some FIAT folks in San Antonio on the way back.

So are there any other "interesting" places I should consider stopping @?

So are there any other "interesting" places I should consider stopping @?

Sure, In Shreveport, if you like soul food there is a place called Fuller's. It is smack dab in the middle of a neighborhood. Hell, it is an old lady's house(very "interesting"). She cooks Short ribs, Liver, pork chops, greens, black eyed peas, pig tail and pig knukles, ect... That woman can cook her ASS off!

None of the places in Shreveport can successfully cover all the bases with creole food. Herby K's is an old institution that has great gumbo. I really enjoy the Chef's fried seafood platter at Smith's Cross Lake Inn. Both places are "throwbacks" so they are cool to visit.

In Maurice, between lafayette and abbyville, Soops is very "interesting". The food is very good. Absolutely no decorations anywhere. The people make up all of the atmosphere. My buddy ordered some red wine and the waitress said "You want it hot or cold, cher". Best $2 I ever spent in my life.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

On the way stop in Longview (TX) and try Cafe Barons. It is a small place in a bookstore that is amazing.

In Shreveport, the Blind Tiger is one of the best places for drinks and snacks.

If you are coming back through Arkansas and hit Little Rock you have a lot of great choices. One of my favorites is Cajun Warf. Save room for desert!

"Instead of orange juice, I'm going to use the juice from the inside of the orange."- The Brilliant Sandra Lee

http://www.matthewnehrlingmba.com