• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Nibbles

Florida Jim

With grilled chicken and sautéed wild mushrooms:

1999 Lafarge, Volnay Vendage Selectionnees:

Aromatically tight but also penetrating with strong black cherry scents and some earth tones, primary; tannic on the palate with good depth, concentration and flavors that follow the nose, slightly clipped at mid-palate; drying but flavorful finish. Hard to say what the future holds; the tannins are substantial. Good with the dish.

With mixed grilled of seafood:

2000 J.P. Droin, Chablis Vaudesir:

Almost painful in intensity with stony, citrus and lemon skin scents and a light floral overlay; focused flavors follow the nose with very bright acids; mouthwatering finish. This bottle was less evolved than another of the same tasted recently. Excellent with the dish.

With assorted cheeses and trout spread on crackers:

2002 Donnhoff, Riesling Qba:

Not too sweet, 9.5% alcohol and unmistakably Nahe riesling. Lovely wine with or without food.

With homemade pizzas:

1993 Rockland, Petite Sirah:

Beginning some secondary development, has shed virtually all of its oak and has a stone-fruit driven palate. One of the better renditions of this grape I have tasted.

With assorted cheeses:

1998 Paradigm, Cabernet Sauvignon:

Well, I’ll be damned! Delicious wine without overt oak, lots of juicy fruit but no over-extraction, doesn’t feel like it went through a milk shake maker (or the technical equivalent), has good cut and is bright across the palate, has some complexity, and, it is very well-balanced. I am shocked and amazed. So this is a bad vintage . . .

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com