• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Savory clams

Hello,

Does anyone out there know anything about savoury clams? They are round-ish, delicate and succulent. The shell is a cream colour with the outer regions more of a blue. I was introduced to them for the first time last week. Chef Jeff Keenliside at the New Marriott in Victoria is using them to make a clam chowder (a la minute).

I managed to order them through a fish store a few days later and will order more on Monday.

My God! Where have I been? (You don't have to answer that question).

Are they indigenous to the coast? How come nobody uses them? Apparently they are available all year round. And they are slightly cheaper than manilla clams.

What's going on?

s

You are getting sleepy. On the count of ten, you will go to GI and buy two pounds of Savoury Clams. You will go home and steam them in white wine, butter, garlic and herbs. You will have a revelatory experience and have to return the next day to buy more. This time you will steam them in a sauce made from organic tomatoes with basil, garlic and onions.

You will now be obsessed about other recipes to use with the regular supply of Savoury Clams that you MUST purchase for you and your friends.

You are an now addict. God have mercy on your soul.

Some interesting info on the Savoury Clam:

• Known in Europe as the Mahogany Clam: the Latin name is Nuttallia Obscurata.

• The name was changed to Savoury Clam, not because of the Pie Company, rather purely for the marketing of the bivalve.

• Originally from Asia, introduced to Canada in the late 1980’s in the ballast water of ocean liners.

• It prefers to grow where other clams don’t: fresh water seeps, loose sand, pebble and cobble.

• Found in the Strait of Georgia and Puget Sound

Favourite Grilled Clam Recipe:

5 lbs fresh Savoury clams, cleaned

8 medium Vancouver Island nugget potatoes

4 whole Corn on the cob (cut into quarters)

½ lbs leeks, julienne

2 lbs shallots, cleaned1 cup chopped fresh parsley

¼ cup chopped fresh basil leaves

1 cup Cedar Creek Chardonnay

2 whole Lemon, juice and zest

½ cup Extra Virgin Olive oil

1 teaspoon black pepper, coarsely ground

½ teaspoon salt

2 teaspoons fresh garlic, crushed

To taste Tabasco sauce

3 bay leaves

5 whole lobsters (1 lbs each), split

¼ cup Butter, cut into pieces

3 whole French Baguette

Heat Alderwood charcoal grill until coals are ash white. Layer all ingredients in order listed except lobster, butter and bread in 16-1/2 x 12 x 2-1/2-inch roasting pan; use an old pan  this is messy! Cover; place pan on grill. Grill 15 minutes. Add lobster; continue cooking, covered, until potatoes cooked. Whisk in butter, taste and adjust seasoning accordingly.

Chef/Owner/Teacher

Thanks Chef! I love the vision of them hitching a free ride on an ocean liner.

I'm going to attempt my own version of clam chowder when my 2#'s of clams come in on Monday.

Is that your recipe listed? Its a shoe-in for our annual Spring unearthing of my grill. I like her to get a good workout.

Feeds 12 to 15?

Thanks again,

Shelora

Thanks Chef! I love the vision of them hitching a free ride on an ocean liner.

I'm going to attempt my own version of clam chowder when my 2#'s of clams come in on Monday.

Is that your recipe listed? Its a shoe-in for our annual Spring unearthing of my grill. I like her to get a good workout.

Feeds 12 to 15?

Thanks again,

Shelora

I do not remember the origin of the recipe; it has been floating around in my repertoire for the last five years. It is so easy...and the final product has never failed to please! It is GREAT.

Enjoy and post us some pictures of your endeavour with the clams...

Chef/Owner/Teacher

I know who's in charge of next summers YVR/E-mullet Clam Bake down at Spanish Banks.

I second that motion. All those in favour...

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg