• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wow

Florida Jim

1999 Belle Pente, Pinot Noir Willamette Valley:

Very impressive.

Although still showing young, this has gained grand cru density, good integration and some complexity over its years in the cellar. The concentration here is really outstanding and never drifted off into any extractive quality. At release, I remember this being more of an elegant, fresh wine with some nice earth tones that I would have with chicken dishes or salmon. Now, it is showing very deep fruit and a richness and structure befitting pairing it with heartier fare.

Quite a transformation, IMO, and worth trying a bottle if you happen to have one.

Aside: I do not expect Oregon pinots to make this kind of transformation in the cellar; I do expect great Burgundies to. So maybe this wine could be considered atypical. Or maybe, because Oregon is such a relatively young wine producing area, this is a glimpse of what it can become in time. Wouldn’t that be great!

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com