• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

VIPs

mascarpone

I once had lunch with Joe Namath at that restaurant that was associated with mobsters in the early 1970's. My boss had played for the other high school as a quarterback. That was before the pantyhouse.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::biggrin:

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

Several of our clients get a lot of celebs on a regular basis. Believe it or not, The Comfort Diners attract a ton - Harrison Ford & Calista Flockhart; Mike Nichols & Diane Sawyer; Ethan Hawke; Michael J. Fox; Don King ... I guess everyone likes comfort/diner food. And Beacon on 56th Street attracts 'em, too. We were there one night when Sarah Ferguson and her retinue came in; the room was electric. Also at Beacon: Woody Allen; Natalie Portman ...

I guess it is difficult to determine what VIPs actually eat when they are spotted . I know my reaction was...

1) Wait a second...that person looks familiar. Let me get a closer look without blatantly staring at them.

2) I think that must be so-and-so, is it really? If so they look different in person. Can I be sure? I will sneak another glace.

Thus the tendency is to look mostly at the VIP rather than at their food.

Did any one see what VIPs ate?

Oh, how could I forget Fresco? I used to have a lot of business lunches there and I swear, not once did I go and not see someone famous.

Often, though, it's NYC-style celebrities particularly news anchors who are friends of Roseanna Scotto & family.

My favorite spotting there though? Florence Henderson!!!!

Abe Vigoda (still alive and kickin'!!) at Grace's Market, UES.

I would have expected to see him at Le Bernardin or some other restaurant that serves a lot of FISH.. :biggrin::raz:

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"-Neil Young

"I think I hear a dingo eating your baby"-Bart Simpson