• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hybrid 'Candy' Onion

msphoebe

Picked up a couple of Candy onions at the farmer's market. They are wonderfully sweet! When I asked how best to serve/use them, the answer was, anyway you like! Supposed to be great on grilled burgers or sandwiches.

However...I'm looking for a more unique way to showcase these beauties. A quick internet search yielded very little information other than places to buy the seeds or sets.

One entry was a salad description -- "Salad with Roquefort, Candy Onion, and Port".

Now that sounds interesting! Is anyone familiar with this super-sweet onion and have any ideas for ingredients that would play off or complement the flavor?

TIA

I purchased some of these last year at Central Market here in Plano. I used them for:

Sweet onion relish for Pork Loin

French Onion Soup. Yep they worked quite well.

While I have not used this for Onion Salad, I have seen a similiar salad done with Vidalias

Basically Onions and Tomatos with Blue Cheese, Lemon Juice and a hit of oil

Never trust a skinny chef

Forgot to mention doing a onion tart.

Just make a pizza dough

Cook your onions until translucent

Remove most of the liquid from the cooked Onions

Spread on the Pizza dough about 1/4 inch thick

Top with Olives

Never trust a skinny chef

Onion sandwich... Slice onion very thin. Pile onto a good white bread slathered with mayo. Salt and pepper. Drink a cold beer. Nap. There is a sleepy making quality to raw onion that is enhanced by beer. This combination makes for the most satisfying nap.

Please do not waste sweet onions by cooking them. Sweet onions = raw. Stronger onions actually cook up sweeter.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Onion sandwich... Slice onion very thin. Pile onto a good white bread slathered with mayo. Salt and pepper. Drink a cold beer. Nap. There is a sleepy making quality to raw onion that is enhanced by beer. This combination makes for the most satisfying nap.

Please do not waste sweet onions by cooking them. Sweet onions = raw. Stronger onions actually cook up sweeter.

along these lines and learned from a persian restaurant:

lavash. spread butter. large single layers of onion. shoot for around 1.5 inches by 1.5 inches. plus or minus whatever.

thats it. lavash, butter, onions.

dont knock it till you tried it. i imagine it is as good as the onion sandwich described above.

and i imaging you can eat this persian appetizer with beer too.

"Bibimbap shappdy wappdy wap." - Jinmyo

Thanks everyone. Melissa, the link you provided contains a recipe for a green bean and onion salad that sounds right tasty. I will stop by the market this morning and pick up some fresh green beans to give it a try.

Irod, the onion salad with tomatoes and blue cheese sounds right up my alley as well, and I've got plenty of fresh tomatoes and blue cheese. Looks like I'll be eating onions all weekend!

As for the onion sandwich, whether on lavash or white bread...sounds quite interesting. Is this a southern phenomenon? I think these particular onions would be perfect for a sandwich and promise to give it a try one day soon.

The whole idea of sweet onions is that they are best eaten raw. That is their special chemistry. Because of the general chemistry of onions, though, when you cook them, they end up not that much different from any other onion. So the ideas of onion sandwiches, or onion-in-a-salad are the best uses -- anything that uses them raw.

Jean Shepherd used to have a story about his uncle who loved to eat whole onions as if they were apples ("A good onion is like a sexual experience."). Anyone else remember this?

thats it. lavash, butter, onions.

Oh, yes. Such a simple combination, but they are perfect together.

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne