• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sampler

Florida Jim

2000 D’Aupilhac, Montpeyroux:

Engaging aromatics with plums, tar, and a sauvage note with hints of spice and red fruit; medium bodied and well integrated with ripe flavors that follow the nose with clarity, concentrated, moderate complexity; medium finish. Good wine with character and sensual appeal. Worth re-buying.

2002 Fevre, Chablis Champs Royaux:

Straight-forward, varietally correct Chablis, with ripe flavors and very little complexity. Drink now. Adequate but nothing more. No re-buy.

2002 LaPierre, Morgon:

I have four bottles of this left and I think I’ll just hold them. Current tastes are of a simply, slightly charred gamay with little to interest me. There are so many other cru Beaujolais in this price range or less that are superior. No re-buy.

2002 Coudert Clos de la Roilette, Fleurie Cuvee Tardive:

Like this one, for example. A rich, velvety wine with real weight in the mouth, huge concentration and excellent persistence. It may be years before this is fully ready, but they will be very good years along the way. It’s no longer available but if it were, I’d buy another case.

2000 Elyse, Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley:

Nice, medium weight, not overly woody cabernet that, if it cost $20, I’d buy again. It doesn’t and I won’t.

1998 Les Pallieres, Gigondas:

Clearly of its place with a salty mineral component on both the nose and palate to accent the slightly rustic black fruit and spice tones, a worsted texture, concentrated, balanced and persistent. Delicious with or without food. Someone else’s bring so the price is unknown; if reasonable, re-buy.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com