• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dresden

zakuska

I will be spending the month of October in Dresden. Any dining or other culinary recommendations in the city or the surrounding area would be greatly appreciated. I'm having dinner at Caroussel in the Hotel Bülow Residenz when I arrive, but that's it so far. Thanks in advance.

"She was a recluse," he said. "Her idea of a good time was to sauté mushrooms at midnight with a brandy and watch Dracula."

Last May I spent a long week-end in Dresden and went to the following restaurants with a local couple interested in good cuisines [my personal notes between brackets]:

Caroussel * [15/20]

Alte Meister, Café [11.5/20]

Alte Meister, Restaurant [12.5/20]

Gambotti [11.5/20]

Lesage [13.5/20]

Rue, La [12/20]

Caroussel of course is good. Most surprising, quite modern and best quality for the price was Lesage, in the very modern and worthwhile visiting, transparant factory of VW.

Alte Meister (in the museum of art, near the Semper Opera), the food and ambiance in the evening [restuarant] are much different as in the afternoons [café].

By the way, except for Caroussel, Dresden is not expensive at all and quite pleasant to visit.

Paul, thanks very much for the recommendations -- I will report back when I return to NY in November!

James

"She was a recluse," he said. "Her idea of a good time was to sauté mushrooms at midnight with a brandy and watch Dracula."

• 3 years later...

Does anyone have any up to date recommendations for Dresden restaurants? We will be visiting next weekend.

Is Caroussel still a good bet? I have looked at their menu on line and it looks good.

Any recommendations for mid-range places will also be gratefully received.

Thanks in anticipation.