• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Da Kine Cafe

Coop

Just want to ask if anyone knows any "buzz" on this place. It seems like a great idea. If your place is struggling why not suplement the take by selling illegal drugs. What's next hookers working at the Fresgo Inn? Hang on that already happened. Only in BC can you have a Mayor who turns a blind eye to a coffee establishment that sells the chronic.

David Cooper

"I'm no friggin genius". Rob Dibble

http://www.starlinebyirion.com/

Nothing Lasts Forever

A bit of gossip from the 'hood says that the first objections came from a neighbouring Chinese Café.The neighbours were so incensed at the 'goings-on' that they dumped grease down DaKine's toilet causing the place to be shut for repairs.

When the place reopened the Café then went to Chinese TV-whose broadcast then brought Da Kine's nefarious activities to the attention of the wider world.

The dumb-as-a-post interview that the owner did-stating that she hoped that the authorities would help her to 'help people' by allowing the sale of drugs-helped to sink the place permanently.

. . . first objections came from a neighbouring Chinese Café. The neighbours were so incensed . . . 

Burning incensed, no doubt.

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

I'm calling bullshit on everyone involved.

First the Vancouver police said that the cafe was doing thity grand a DAY in business. Bull. Even remedial math skills like mine figure that it's impossible. Do the math. 30000 / ten hours a day = 3000 an hour. average transaction? Lets estimate 25 bucks. That's 120 transactions an hour, or someone walking out odf the store every thirty seconds with a twenty five dollar bag of dope in their pocket. You know how much front end staff is required in any business that wants to complete a transaction every thirty seconds? Never mind the fact you're making change for hippies that stopped attending school in grade eight. So, bullshit on the VPD for totally blowing out of proportion how big a problem it was.

And the store was run by obvious Mensa candidates too. Apparently 67,000 dollars was siezed. I guess it's true, constant weed use does make you stupid and lazy. I'm not a drug dealer, but if in the course of my business I came into possesion of seventy grand CASH, I'd probably takea stroll to the bank, or better a safety deposit box. Dumbasses.

I was on the road for the last couple of days and heard this story as it broke on News 1130

I heard $5000 Canadian and $1700.00 US for a total of $6700

Then later it is turned into $67000.00

Could this be mistake by some hevy fingered copy writer at the radio station ?

If these guys have that much money on site , it would a perfect place to rob.

Walk in and take the money

" Dude , why are you harshing on my scene man " would be the response.

Oh and " Hey men, do you want a brownie ! "

A little blown out of proportion I think.

Legalize it and tax the shit out of it !!

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

I

Walk in and take the money

" Dude , why are you harshing on my scene man " would be the response.

So you haven't seen "Lock, Stock & Two Smoking Barrels" then?

And for what it's worth, (and damn this is an embarrassing admission, but you stepped up and admitted you listen to 1130, so as long as we're all sharing,) I heard the sixty seven grand on 'NW, so either they both employ lazy copywriters, or the number came from somewhere else.

I'd say the bigger issue though is we're both listening to AM talk radio.

So you haven't seen "Lock, Stock & Two Smoking Barrels" then?

I have seen it a few times - I love it !

As for the AM radio , the only news fix with the outside world is when I am moving from home to work.

I really find it hard to imagine that much cash on site. This happened halfway through the business day so I think the $6700 is a realistic number.

As you already did the math , it would be hard for so few staff to move so much product every 30 seconds of the day.

Are they charging tax on this ? I wonder who they would submit that to ? :biggrin::biggrin:

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

Look at it this way, if you can gross thirty grand A DAY on some shitty thousand dollar a month eastside storefront, and there's no jail time involved if you're caught, I'm going on the Freedom 36 plan. The way I see it, I can have three mil in tax free cash before Christmas. Guess who's getting that Bentley GT? Or maybe the Aston Martin.

I'm calling bullshit on everyone involved.

I agree ... something doesn't smell right. The VPD take down grow-ops all the time and release info to the press the next day, and only when they hit a biggun'. This smells like a well (sic) calculated media event complete with the obligatory protestors and every frikkin' TV crew in town.

Are we trying to appease our neighbours to the south? (No, not Richmond ... )

Is Mayor Larry trying to look like he's doing something about the crime problem in Vancouver? (Ironic isn't it that about 10 minutes away from Da Kine is a Safe-injection site?)

This is all too much. I think it's cocktail time.

Arne

Are we trying to appease our neighbours to the south? (No, not Richmond ... )

I went through the border this week and had to go inside to immigration ( I have a British passport )

The border guard was nice enough but said the only place in Canada he would like to visit is White Rock. He said we have too much crime " Up there " in Canada.

As I just wanted to be on my way , I did not respond, just nodded like an idiot , thanked him and was on my way.

Where do the get their information? His impression was that Canada was a crime ridden, drug haven. Is that what the World around us sees ? I do not want to get into a big debate us vs. them etc , it was just sad to see that our fair city had such a bad rap. :sad:

It was good to get home. I feel safe here.

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

The border guard was nice enough but said the only place in Canada he would like to visit is White Rock. He said we have too much crime " Up there " in Canada.

Is he nuts? Why just today another old lady criminally mistook the gas pedal for the brake in the parking lot of the Semiahmoo Mall and launched herself through a plate glass window. (most common crime in White Rock).

I know a man who gave up smoking, drinking, sex, and rich food. He was healthy right up to the day he killed himself. - Johnny Carson