• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The finish

Florida Jim

2001 Knoll, Riesling Durnsteiner Schutt Smaragd:

Initial fresh air and floral scents mingle with citrus skins, light honey and baked-pear aromas, some hints of spice and stone; full bodied with a viscous texture, integrated palate and velvet mouthfeel, flavors follow the nose and add a saline-flint note, solid acids, extraordinary depth and complexity; and, a truly magnificent finish – it carries the viscosity of the palate through as well as its structure and complexity. Powerful though still refined; delineated yet harmonious; not at peak but, even so, most impressive and enjoyable at both intellectual and sensual levels. Very special wine!

Aside:

I have an old and dear friend who has been into wine for decades and, to paraphrase, has tasted it all. His palate is more acute than mine and, certainly, more experienced. He tells me that what he looks for in good wine (it must be enjoyable first) is the finish; “you know when you taste a wine if it’s good, but the finish tells you how good it can be.”

Right or wrong, who knows? But I bet he’d like this wine.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com