• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

dalia's identity crisis

Ravanna

I love dalia, which I buy in bags online. I have always thought they were roasted channa dal, and so they are.

But recently, I'm finding that my beloved "dalia" has other meanings. One cookbook says dalia is a porridge. Another said it was a gram flour. Then last week I food it sold in split form. Now I am confused.

What does the word mean to you?

In my part of Bengal 'gomer dalia' or wheat daliya is the commonest form of dalia, so much so that dalia is synonymous with cracked wheat. It is often usedin a delicious khichri to feed the children and those unable to fast on 'fast' days such as ekadashi or the 11 th days of the waxing and waning moons.

Also, in the period between a death and the shraddha ceremony, rice is only eaten for the noon meal, and a light repast of milk etc. is prescribed for the evening. But children and such get hungry, and then again the dalia khichri comes to to the rescue. I love this preparation so much that i prepare it often, despite its sombre antecedents.

I've always known dalia to whole wheat broken into coarse bits, for making kanchi ( khichdi or gruel)

USed to be our favourite for intemperate summers back home, but I still love the nutty presence of it, when I make a porridge with curd. Goes too well with karela.

I buy "dalia" (meaning roasted Channa dal) at the Indian grocer more than anything else-- people that have tasted my food are pleasantly surprised, then want some of their own. A nut-allergic acquaintance was delighted to find a wonderful peanut substitute. I recently saw them sold in split form.