• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bouillabaisse

Bux

Steve, I have to stop reading your posts. Every time I read one I have to run into my kitchen and find something good to eat. Frais de bois. The best thing ever.

In answer to your question asking if I am still drinking good wine. Well, at age 68 I can assure you that I drink only good wine or non at all. Would love to meet you for dinner one evening. Let's set a date and place.

Concerning soupe de poisons I actually prefer the one where they take the cooked fish, force it through a fine sieve (sp) and then add this fish mush to the broth. It makes the broth much thicker and I enjoy the additional taste. My wife and friends on the other hand enjoy the more traditional clear broth. I have ordered soupe de poisons often in this country and I am always sorry that I did. Just plain does not compare with anything you get in the south of France. What is your take? If you have found a really good one in these parts please let me know.

Hank

Henry - Just like a good Bouillabaisse, a good Soupe de Poissons is dependant on Rascasse. That's where it gets it's flavors from. I'm with you by the way, I like the thinner but flavorful broth as opposed to one where the fish has been pureed into the broth. And you can't get a good Soupe de Poissons here. Occassionaly, you can get a good Zuppa di Pesce, with a robust broth spiked with hot pepper, but it's not the same, or as good I might add as a Soupe de Poissons, a unique invention if I ever saw one. We will work on a date.