• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cata 1.81

asola

Went to Cata 1.81 last Saturday. I knew what to expect from reading here but still there was some disappointment.

First of all, it's uncomfortable. A stool is allright in a tapas place where you'll be moving in a half hour, not for a two-hour dinner. Service was below par as well, explanations weren't clear, they were slow and you had to fight to get their attention, which wasn't nice since it was half empty.

Wine, that can be had by the glass, which is not that common in Barcelona, was perfectly served and priced, plus the wine list is very good.

My first tapa was an omelet with truffle, edible but nothing great. Then a chunk of smoked salmon with mango, nice if unoriginal. Next came a so called fajita that was in fact a Peking duck (do you call it like this?) roll, tasty and surprisingly smooth, the best tapa all night. Finally a play on American burger with mini burgers, mini buns and mini potato crisps. Nice idea, average food. Finally the dessert, a nut-shaped chocolate mousse, was very average. I drank a glass of Rueda white, nice, and another of Sierra Cantabria crianza from Rioja, excellent. It cost 30 €.

I'd say it's neither here nor there. If you want Catalan tapas go to a more typical place, if you want modern, I'd try Comerç 24 (where I haven't been yet).

Indeed, I think you can't compare the more simple cooking at Cata 1.81 with the more complex cooking of Comerç 24.

IMHO Cata 1.81 is by far the cheapest modern tapas restaurant you can get in BCN. A 7 course menu costs 20 €, another menu with more luxurious ingredients costs 30 €.

The degustation menu at Comerç 24 costs 42 €. Indeed, it is more interesting, but it is at least about 30 % more expensive.

I haven't tried Comerç 24 so I can't compare, but the 7-course menu for 23€ was hardly a bargain: it's not 7 courses each but 7 courses to split, and they are very small to begin with.

OK, you are right: at Comerç 24 I had 20 tapas and four desserts for 42 €, so that is even cheaper; but they were quite small as well.

At Cata 1.81 I had 7 courses plus two desserts for 20 €, indeed quite small.

The most expensive tapas (foie gras) at Cata 1.81 was 7,25 €; at Comerç 24, the most exepensive was 16 €.

My total check at Comerç 24, including wine was 90 € p.p.

At Cata 1.81, with less wine, I paid 30 € p.p.

At Cata 1.81 I had 7 courses plus two desserts for 20 €, indeed quite small.

We understood that it was 7 courses for two -that is, 7 courses plus two desserts for 46€-. Our fault, maybe, but then when I asked if that wouldn't be too little, they didn't explain, just shrugged, and then we ordered just 4 courses each, so they could have noticed our misunderstanding.