• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Upstate/Western NY Korean restos

GordonCooks

There used to be a Seoul House in Colonie, smack dab between Albany and Schenectady. It was great and, to my knowledge, the only Korean place in the Capital District at that time. They served a tea made from corn. Wonderful stuff. They closed about 1994 or so and were replaced by some Russian restaurant that we never went to.

I wonder if they moved to Rochester in '94 and opened up there?

• 3 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
is Westchester upstate enough?

Hoping for Buffalo, Rochester, and Syracuse but thank you.

Tokyo Seoul on Erie Blvd in Syracuse is one of the only places in Syracuse to get Korean. The restaurant, as the name implies is both Japanese and Korean and its divided into 3 sections. One for the big show Teppanyaki style dining, another for a sushi bar and the last section is the Korean BBQ area. My mother and I did the Korean BBQ while we were there (she's never had Korean before so I figured it was a way to get her to dip her toe in). I haven't been back since as I'm out of town most of the time but I'd like to go back to see how their Bibimbap and some of their Korean stews are.

is Westchester upstate enough?

Hoping for Buffalo, Rochester, and Syracuse but thank you.

Tokyo Seoul on Erie Blvd in Syracuse is one of the only places in Syracuse to get Korean. The restaurant, as the name implies is both Japanese and Korean and its divided into 3 sections. One for the big show Teppanyaki style dining, another for a sushi bar and the last section is the Korean BBQ area. My mother and I did the Korean BBQ while we were there (she's never had Korean before so I figured it was a way to get her to dip her toe in). I haven't been back since as I'm out of town most of the time but I'd like to go back to see how their Bibimbap and some of their Korean stews are.

Will give it a try, Thanks

Tokyo Seoul on Erie Blvd in Syracuse is one of the only places in Syracuse to get Korean.  The restaurant, as the name implies is both Japanese and Korean and its divided into 3 sections.  One for the big show Teppanyaki style dining, another for a sushi bar and the last section is the Korean BBQ area.  My mother and I did the Korean BBQ while we were there (she's never had Korean before so I figured it was a way to get her to dip her toe in).  I haven't been back since as I'm out of town most of the time but I'd like to go back to see how their Bibimbap and some of their Korean stews are.

I liked the dolsot bibimbap at Chorong House better than the one at Tokyo Seoul.

1121 E Fayette St

Syracuse, NY 13210

(315) 428-0501

MelissaH

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

I liked the dolsot bibimbap at Chorong House better than the one at Tokyo Seoul.

1121 E Fayette St

Syracuse, NY 13210

(315) 428-0501

MelissaH

Ooh, thanks for the new recommendation. I have a hard time finding places around Syracuse on the net. Not really any good sites out there like I had back when I lived in Boston. And getting recommendations from my family around here for anything new is impossible as a lifetime of living here has pretty much gotten them into very specific eating patterns.

Edited by Stefferdoos (log)

• 3 weeks later...
Hey Gordon, have you tried Young's in Henrietta? (120 Mushroom Blvd.)

And what is it with the semi-hidden locations for Korean restaurants out there?!?

I've done all the locals - none are worth mention. I can throw down better than them and my mom's cooking is twice as good. The Koreans are cooks/business people, not restauranteurs. The best was to describe it as street food redone. Street food is basically all about making every ingredient count and all else is secondary. Most of these places (and lost of other Vietnamese, Thai, etc) will be wherever the rent is cheapest and adorned with a brightly lit Pepsi cooler or soda fountain in the middle of the dining room along with a tv somewhere and a kids table and a pile of newspapers.

• 4 weeks later...