• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Inn at Erlowest

docsconz

I'm not sure; we were at an event last night at the Glen Sanders. Angelo didn't sit still long enough to ask him that question. I suspect, however, that they are possibly doing a restaurant lease type of deal like at the Hall of Springs and the Lodge. Will try to find out.

Mark A. Bauman

IMO, it's a nice place to go to a wedding, course, meeting, etc. Their food for functions is much better than most similar places. For dinner, the atmosphere is better than the food. Not bad, but the menu sounds better than the reality on the plate. Good service, pretty place.

Mark A. Bauman

• 1 year later...

I used to cook in Albany, and for that matter, in Lake George, and I am listening with very keen ears to hear how Dales move up to the Inn will affect the business structure up there. I have a long term interest in moving back to the area and opening something a bit more unique and upscale than anything that I feel is there right now, and I wonder if there really is a market there for it now. Everyone is talking about this renaissance that the capital region is undergoing and now its time to see if there is a market to support something like this. I certainly hope so, because it would be special to see more places come up in the area. Certainly, the proximity is too perfect, with a reasonably short distance to the hudson valleys farms, vermont's products and even some from quebec, upstate new york has the potential to draw a 'foodie' clientele....

we shall see...

greg

"When you love your land

You want to make it known to as many people as possible.

And to make it rich.

Gastronomy is a magnificent way to do all that.

I used to cook in Albany, and for that matter, in Lake George, and I am listening with very keen ears to hear how Dales move up to the Inn will affect the business structure up there.  I have a long term interest in moving back to the area and opening something a bit more unique and upscale than anything that I feel is there right now, and I wonder if there really is a market there for it now.  Everyone is talking about this renaissance that the capital region is undergoing and now its time to see if there is a market to support something like this.  I certainly hope so, because it would be special to see more places come up in the area.  Certainly, the proximity is too perfect, with a reasonably short distance to the hudson valleys farms, vermont's products and even some from quebec, upstate new york has the potential to draw a 'foodie' clientele....

we shall see...

greg

There are a lot of factors that go in to a successful restaurant. I@E had a lot going for it including great food when it first opened. What it appeared not to have was patience to stay the course and build a good reputation. Whether they have more patience now remains to be seen. I wouldn't base a conclusion as to what the capitol district is ready for on this restaurant's success or especially its failure.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz