• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

staff meal

get in my belly

i really envy all who can still stand to cook at home . i work two jobs , both in the kitchen . on my days off i eat out at a new restaurant i havent tried yet for the thought of cooking makes me ill . :wacko: when im at work all day this is what i eat e meal , emplyee slop , daily feed bag , family meal , grub , or lovingly refered to as..... ko - me - da way . {spanish for.. dinner, dude}. so for those who can feel me please tell us what you ate at work today some staff meals are the bomb . for those.... recipies would be cool .

:cool::wacko::blink: today was sloppy joes on baggets with cheddar cheese and cold fries with bernaise damn good !

Baked penne twice. Twice because we were supposed to have chicken fingers as well so when I came back for my break the only choice I hade was baked penne again. But it was free!

"He could blanch anything in the fryolator and finish it in the microwave or under the salamander. Talented guy."

lets see there was an old piece of [2 hours old] scnitzel on the cutting board that i heated up and a partly torn tomato wrap . just put a little hummas that wasnt so good on the wrap the scnitzel some bacon lettus and tomato some ranch dressing and dipped it in some portabello juice from the sheet tray on the back table it was suprisingly good .

:wink::raz::laugh:

I am currently on call via an agency that places folks for temporary events, so no regular staff meal for me. But the last one was pretty sumptuous, thanks to the fact that we got sent to a lavish estate to do a private catered event where no expense was spared.

First day's staff lunch:

grilled salmon cakes

sauteed white asparagus

sauteed green beans

homemade cake of some kind

Second day:

some kind of veal stew with veggies

green salad

mixed nuts

pasta salad

tiramisu

...and all the soda and Perugina sparkling water we could throw down our gullets.

Pat

"I... like... FOOD!" -Red Valkyrie, Gauntlet Legends-

Nothing really...I made salad all day and then I worked on the line at night so I had to set up the line when I would usually be going to eat.

Nibbled...potato skin here, bite of prime rib there.

Normally I'd have something like a grilled chicken sandwich, blt, or a bowl of chowder.

tonight no emeal was made due to two people called off and two showed up late ya know the drill so bits of fillet that "fell"off :unsure: who me? :biggrin: and fried redskon potatos two bites of a creamy chicken crepe and then juan says hey benito you hungry way this vato had hooked up a bomb torta with this baggete we have and avocado lettus mayo hot ham sweet mustard provolone and black beans sence eating is not cool at all we ate it in our reach in coolers every time we had to get something out man it was deeeeeelish . :biggrin: then after work i stoped into my local tacarilla and got a steak burrito mmmmmmmmm :cool:

yea those high class gigs are fun last one i was at i ate soo much cheese i thought i would explode oh man the good stinky stuff noone at it sooo i took a togo box crammed full to my girl friend she was in heaven too . im addicted to cheese , i have a problem . its been two hours sence i had my last peice of st. andre :unsure: i may not make it through the night ......cheese :wub: anyway.

Yesterday it was fried fish of some sort with tater tots. Both soggy from sitting in the "box" for about four hours prior to eating. Later on I made myself a black and blue burger with fries that nearly made me sick. Two miller lites for dessert (at home).

"He could blanch anything in the fryolator and finish it in the microwave or under the salamander. Talented guy."

thanx butler im obviosly new and didnt see one so had no idiea. it would be cool to see it though...... think ill just keep posting here gives me a starting point this forum seems so big and i feel so little in it ....... unless its rude to start a new one . :rolleyes: im also new to computers in general this is my first i=one ever .....so any help would be appriciated not thought of as rude on my part thanx .............

thanx petit de choux that is a complement to me i wish i had his money i wouldnt be bustin my ### at two jobs thats fo sho :raz:

today was .first course ..... a glass of juice from the bottom of the 5 gallon bucket of fruit i cut oh my god that $%#@ was the bomb all the fruit is in season now ya know soo ...well you know :biggrin::wub:

second course.peice of toast that fell on the floor {in a not so dirty spot} with homeaid apricot jam .mmmmmmmm

third course . a slice of ham a little cream cheese smeared on it and a pickle rolled up this is one of my favorite line snax :raz:

then finished off the lavish meal with some potato chips dipped in cajun aolie yum :smile:

at the second job some one hooked up spagetti it was like a phycic connection just what i needed garlic toast some fresh parm mmmmmm it was like a real meal eccept i was cramming it down my throught so fast i almost choked while sitting on one of those big pots in the back room while cookes flew around me . i was early by an hour so it was fun to just watch the hurricane happen for once instead of being it :wacko::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::biggrin: then how many steakes you need :sad:

Worked my part-time job tonight, so I ate well. We didn't get many orders for salmon this week so I had last-of-the-old-batch salmon fillet, done precisely as we do it for the customers: brandy-cream sauce; saffron rice with capers, peppers, shallots, & tomatoes; cpl spears of asparagus, broccoli, baby carrots, snap peas.

Oh, and a "spiked" icy lemonade from FOH (we eat after service, I hasten to point out).

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

today 1/4 of a two hour old mush spin swiss omlet that was orderd extra man that pisses me off rush rush rush and oh ya didnt need those three omelets oh ok . anyway some crutons with ranch dressing and a diet pepsi . cus ..... im on a diet :biggrin: . omlets are so much better hot it was like a greasy brick of mushroom cheese :hmmm: nasty . think ill get a toco on my way into the next job. :rolleyes:

yea those high class gigs are fun last one i was at i ate soo much cheese i thought i would explode oh man the good stinky stuff noone at it sooo i took a togo box crammed full to my girl friend she was in heaven too . im addicted to cheese , i have a problem . its been two hours sence i had my last peice of st. andre :unsure: i may not make it through the night ......cheese :wub: anyway.

Ah, that was the other part of that gig I forgot, the cheese! We stuffed ourselves with three different kinds of it, the favorite being this cheese with bits of black truffle all throughout, plus slices of bread and pear.

The ahi tartare leftovers also made up part of Sunday's lunch.

It got pretty sick between all that and the truffled hors deouvres and tastes of caviar.

Pat

"I... like... FOOD!" -Red Valkyrie, Gauntlet Legends-

went to night job and its slow , great , and the meal is ready hell hey , i was hungry too . wet fries . fries half cooked with chilli and and cheese and sour cream and burger and pepers took one bite and grabbed for the saracha i love saracha its like a heated blanket on the coldest night . saracha :wub:

i did i mention i put saracha on my fries :biggrin: well tomarrow ive got off all day soo talk at ya in a day :wink::cool::raz::biggrin:

interesting bit in new york times dining out section today...some restaurant is inviting the public in to PAY!!!! for employee staff meal on thursdays between 4:45 and 6pm. needless to say, i'm sure it isn't the same swill they make from friday to wednesday!

since where i'm working right now is not open, we have the luxury of time in creating our staff meals. it has been pretty amazing as i'm working with a lot of talented cooks. i know that will change quickly once the restaurant is up and running so i'm gaining my weight now and i'll forego family (meal) once we're open.

One hard shell and one soft shell taco. My favorite day of the week. Oh, and then about a million poppers on the line b/c we had "latino night" at the club attached to the hotel.