• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Let's talk about grinders

HungryChris

I hear so much talk about hoagies, Itialian sandwiches, subs, torpedoes etc, etc. Let's get it out in the open...there is nothing that can come close to the grinder! I'm talking about that olive oil and salt and pepper with the thinly sliced iceburg lettuce and tomato, salami, provalone cheese on an Italian bread roll that makes you want to go home to, no matter where you live now! My favorite is from Bennedito's in Groton, CT. Every time I am there during lunch, I try to have one.

For me, it's the regular salami that makes it happen. The first thing my brother does when he comes in from Chicago is have a grinder. Those of us that know what it is, know what we like! What about you? Where is your favorite grinder made?

Cheers,

HC

I hear so much talk about hoagies, Itialian sandwiches, subs, torpedoes etc, etc. Let's get it out in the open...there is nothing that can come close to the grinder! I'm talking about that olive oil and salt and pepper with the thinly sliced iceburg lettuce and tomato, salami, provalone cheese on an Italian bread roll that makes you want to go home to, no matter where you live now! My favorite is from Bennedito's in Groton, CT. Every time I am there during lunch, I try to have one.

For me, it's the regular salami that makes it happen. The first thing my brother does when he comes in from Chicago is have a grinder. Those of us that know what it is, know what we like! What about you? Where is your favorite grinder made?

Cheers,

HC

Here in Hoagie Land, I believe a "grinder" refers to a HOT sandwich like meatballs or Eggplant Parmesan, that has spent a little time crisping up in an oven and having the cheese get all melty on top. Interesting that it's the same thing as a hoagie in New England.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

get thee to vergillios in gloucester, ma on main street, on the ocean side, just past the bookstore, out of this world, on their out of this world bread.

dinner at the franklin for casual, young, great food, quick service(sister restaurant to the franklin cafe boston in south end), or for outstanding upscale, tiny restaurant using local, try nick speros' 197 east main, and top don't miss gloucester stage(israel horowitz' theatre).

to the seagulls!

:rolleyes: hands down best basic grinder in the world is made in a little bakery called iulianos in manchester connecticut. their grinder rolls are sooooooooo good and the grinder is just made of quality genoa,,,provolone and excellant pan roasted peppers. mede in advance,,room temp,,,,mmmmmmmmmmm. took them from ice fishing to flights to europe you can not go wrong! please go out of your way to enjoy one!

I like the Franklin Grinder Shop, on Franklin Avenue in Hartford's South End. Not to age myself, but I've been going there for more than 30 years. It is family-owned, and offers extraordinary price for value received. Since they also make pizza and serve beer, I'm not sure that it can be called "classic", but it is worth the trip. It is less than five minutes off of the Airport Road/Brainard St. exit of I-91.

This is the last straw! We need pictures here! I got to get a digital camera. Anyone who knows what a good grinder looks like will recognize the tell tale oil stains on the paper. Without that, you are just talking about food. Grinders are so much more than that!