• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Oh my!

Florida Jim

With veggie burgers and chips:

1993 Lopez de Heredia, Vina Tondonia Rosado:

When the current release rose is eleven years old, you know its going to be idiosyncratic/

Brilliant, reddish-copper/

Nose of wax, onion skin, strawberry, sherry and each element integrated with the other; seems somewhat tight/

The mouthfeel is wonderful; it’s like satin across the palate; more open as flavors of strawberry liquor, wood spice, sherry, orange zest, and mineral are backed by bright acidity, intense, concentrated, good balance but despite only 12% alcohol, there is a distinct liquor-esque taste to it, good complexity/

Long, long mouthwatering finish.

Unlike anything I have ever had before. Diane says it doesn’t even taste like wine; more like something you mix with vodka to come up with some arcane mixed-drink; she hates it. I can imagine this wine as accompaniment to succulent lobster bisque or to any dish that includes a component of onions . . . a whole new world of possibilities opens; I love it. A wine that people will hate or love; I doubt anyone will say it’s just okay.

Glorious stuff, IMO. Imported by Polaner Selections.

A tip of the cap to Manuel for the suggestion.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com