• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pirogies: where?

Jason Perlow

Since leaving the Morristown area, I've been craving for a place in Bergen County where they make home made peirogis.  I cant seem to find a place.

In Cedar Knolls, theres a Ukranian church on RT 10 that makes incredible pirogi as well as kielbasa and donuts during the holiday months on the weekends made by little old ladies in the church kitchen -- you gotta get there real early, before noon to be able to get some, because they run out quick.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

In Bayonne there are many Polish delis. Try the place on 36th  and Broadway. It is on the corner. And there is one on 32nd and Broadway right next to a bakery. Both are great. Go early in the day as they sell out fast. Sorry--I don't have the names. I'll try to get them if you think you will be in that area.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

• 2 weeks later...

Jay:  Isn't there a little place down the street from me in Sharon Plaza (in the southern part of Fort Lee) that might have them?  I've never been in there, but it looks like its either Russian or Polish owned.  I'm talking about that place between the bagel store and the pharmacy.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"