• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dessert names and descriptions

Wendy DeBord

I feel like I've hit a brick wall when it comes to giving a name or title to a dessert. I have 18 new desserts a month to title (no constant dessert menu, changes weekly)and I just can't find the words anymore. Both a title and a new breif description. Last week in frustration I desided to title something "study in_________", my poor chef thought I was nuts at first....but he agreed to it in the end. I can't think of any other way to label..............so I'm hoping one of you have had a similar problem and have some advice on how to title and or write fresh descriptions year in and year out?

It's rare that I make something the same exact way twice. Actaully I only do that on request and thats a problem because I don't recall a week or two later exactly what I did.

Example;

This week I might do a- 1. peanut butter cake with a layer of semi sweet mousse, layer of peanut butter ganche, frost with whipped cream.

Next time I approach this combination I do- 2. chocolate sable, layer of flourless chocolate cake, layer of peanut butter mousse, layer of whip cream and salted roasted peanuts.

Then another time I might do- 3. a chocolate cake, layer of peanut butter, layer of chocolate cheesecake, repeat layers and garnish.

They are all very similar yet they need different titles on the menu so the client who may or may not have tried and like version no. 1 knows this version will be different. I am somewhat lucky in that on weekends they display desserts to aid in the description. This has become a really tedious chore and I've lost my ability to 'want to' describe in writing my desserts. I don't want to become a factory and produce the same items each time.....I want to play with combos.....but I don't want to confuse or under describe an item either. SOOOOOooo thats where I came up with "study of________" or 'study in______" .........so even if your not a pc and you buy desserts what can I do to title a dessert and not confuse you? How would you react to desserts titled "study in_______"? Anyone have something fresh to help me think and respark my titleing?

When certain items come in season we almost always do a composition using that ingredient so there has been times when we have used the title "study of____" as a headliner and then a brief discription of that dessert underneath. Or when we think something is going to be a hard sell we give it a little extra discription in the title. For example, I did a chilled strawberry and rhubarb consumme with a frozen lime souffle. So we titled it WOW! Strawberries and Rhubarb

Strawberry and rhubarb consumme

Lime Soufflee Glace

Fresh seasonal berries and fruit

I also did a variation on lemon for the spring and titled it "Spring Lemon Fever".

We are a very fine dining restaurant but we still try to make it interesting for the guests when it comes to the dessert menu. I do not have a dessert cart, so I leave it to the servers and menu descriptions to sell the desserts. All of our desserts are plated, we do not do cakes and tortes. Maybe for your peanut cake you could title it "Oh nuts !" and just do a brief description, (i.e. peanut butter cake, peanut butter ganache, chocolate mousse). In the discriptions, I always try to start with either the main ingredient or the ingredient that would most appeal to the general public. I hope this helps.

Perhaps you could take a note from Chanel and number your desserts. For example, your different chocolate and peanut butter desserts could be called:

Fantasy No. 1 (or 2 or 3) in Chocolate and Peanut Butter. Same thing with "Study" only I like the use of that word with a single ingredient, presented in three different forms.

Write your combinations down in a daily notebook so you don't forget what you did. It would be a good place to make notes, also, as in how many you sold or what coments were received or your impressions of the best combinations.

There may be customers who like the idea of never having the same dessert twice, but if I fell in love with one I would certainly be disappointed if it were never available again.

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

SOOOOOooo thats where I came up with in______" .........so even if your not a pc and you buy desserts what can I do to title a dessert and not confuse you? How would you react to desserts titled "study in_______"?

It would make me wonder if I were getting dessert or someone's student art project. Why not just say "Peanut butter cake", with a description underneath? Chocolate cake is still basically chocolate cake regardless of what the fillings or toppings are. Does it need a title?

"I think it's a matter of principle that one should always try to avoid eating one's friends."--Doctor Dolittle

blog: The Institute for Impure Science

What if you tagged your dessert names to correlate with something going on in your life or kitchen the day you made it? For instance, say you made a peanut butter cake on a Friday, you could call it Care-Free Friday Peanut Butter Cake. Or if you invented it on a Monday, you could call it "Case of the Mondays Cake".

That would be a little goofy, but it would be fun. Or to take a more straight-forward approach, your names could correlate with the season. Not necessarily the exact seasonal ingredient, but a feeling or mood or event associated with that particular season.

You'd still have to write down your variations, though. I've been experimenting with lots of different desserts and while I think I can remember what I did, I find that is NOT the case.

I like desserts with "Study In ______" but it's one of those things you should only do once or twice.

I vote for simplicity in naming, too. I really don't want a dessert to have some fancy name I don't understand; the only thing I really care about is how it tastes (and a nice visual presentation is a good bonus). I don't particularly like the "Study in x" title for desserts. If I want a study, I look for drawings an artist did in preparation for a painting or sculpture or open my etude books. When I'm in a restaurant, I want a fully realized dessert, and if you want an opinion on something you're studying, please offer a small taste as a freebie and ask for feedback. I realize it doesn't always work that way, and specials are sometimes new desserts the pastry chef is still working on, but "Study in..." just would seem to me to call attention to the dessert being a work in progress, rather than something you've mastered. So by all means, serve your experiments but don't call them experiments, by any other name. :smile:

Just my 2 cents, and you know those ain't worth much nowadays. :laugh:

Michael aka "Pan"

Oh, one other thought, Sinclair:

If you change a dessert slightly and a customer doesn't notice it and orders it, you could get some useful feedback:

(1) The customer could complain s/he liked the dessert better the other way

(2) S/he could say it's better the new way

(3) S/he could say s/he noticed the change and liked it both ways

Michael aka "Pan"

I agree with those in support of simplicity. Honestly, I might not even notice a dessert's title, it's the description I'm interested in. Even if the dessert was fantastic, I'm probably not going to remember what it was called, just what was in it and how it was presented/prepared.

Perhaps you could come up with some generic categories and change the dessert(s) in that category. i.e. Seasonal Fruit, Something Chocolate, Frozen Creations, etc. Category titles could answer the (unvoiced) question - "what are you in the mood for?"

I agree, I do take a very simplistic approach to naming and describing desserts. I think thats important in the setting that I work in.

Perhaps I need to give more background so you understand why this is hard for me..........

I work at a country club, it's not fine dining-never will be. They do alot of business, some members eat there several times a week. They want a mix of restaurant foods (steaks, pastas), family meal items (meatloaf, spagetti) and some finer dining items (although I can't even think of an example at this moment).

Occasionally I'll make something that creates a stir/buzz and then I'm asked to keep it on the menu. I keep it on the menu until sales die down (couple months), then I'll typically have it on a large banquet and then I'll make extra and put it on that weeks menu. But theres only a couple desserts that are in this catagory so far (members can always request a dessert and some do). In time I hope to convert them over into plated desserts, but I've really just begun there. Their exposure to desserts is extremely limited. Right now I'm just working on building their trust in my products. I'm working on standard items and flavors they are familar with and showing them that baked goods can be good, consistantly good.

I haven't heard any negative feed back yet. They are still discovering that they have a pc on staff and everything is being made in house now. Most of members don't know this yet regardless of publicity the management has given me.

Study in__ isn't a work in progress, it's 'a study of' these flavor combinations (so my wording is incorrect). I should go with 'study of_'.

It will never be perfected it's not leading up to something. Each version is perfected, each is different. If it was a experiement then I'd name it experiment in _.

I'm having a hard time explaining myself, sorry. It's just that I've given sooooo many countless desserts the same name and the same description over time. That's fine when your not dealing with the same people day in and day out. I've just currently become a full time pc for them. How many times a week do you eat at your favorite restaurant-there is no comparision to a country club setting where there are repeat diners every night.

What happens when I make one variation and the member doesn't like it-from then on they won't re-order that item. But I want them to know this one is different from that one they didn't like. So I can't keep repeating the same names. Yet, I do need to be conservative and not use too playful of names.

And how many ways can you restate the same flavor combos with-out repeating? Thats my brick wall. Chocolate peanut butter cake, peanut butter and chocolate cake, chocolate cake with peanut butter mousse, etc....... So I'm reworking these items, but in a members memory they aren't going to remember which version it was that they disliked, just that it was chocolate and peanut butter, RIGHT?

They don't know the difference between a almond daqiouse, an almond pound cake or an almond sponge cake so I can't give them specific names to distingush differences. Maybe I should though...........? Maybe I should be working on this now to have a more educated client?

Yek, it's such a simple thing, yet it's become too complicated. Is it in my head? Should I just forget about trying to distinguish between similar items and let the members figure it out?

Wendy--I think it's important that you "name" your desserts in a way that reflects you--they're something you created and theoretically they're personal and individual. That is if your chef gives his support. How you name them, how you create and then write the menu, is part of how you create your brand, establish your identity, attract the critics and build the trust in that brand. Eventually you'll have to compromise from the ideal and word things so that they sell--but we're in a customer service business so that's no big deal.

Steve Klc

Pastry chef-Restaurant Consultant

Oyamel : Zaytinya : Cafe Atlantico : Jaleo

chef@pastryarts.com

Study in__ isn't a work in progress, it's 'a study of' these flavor combinations (so my wording is incorrect). I should go with 'study of_'.

I can't speak for your customers, but to me, that wording is worse. If you're doing a study of a combination of ingredients, it sounds to me like you're trying to see if they work together and aren't sure. While we all study all our lives, I just think using "study" in a dessert title sounds student-like.

The point isn't really that you are or are not experimenting, though I have to wonder whether anything is ever _really_ perfected - I certainly don't think about my music performances that way. But that aside, my main point is, how do your titles sound to a customer? You've got my 2 cents. Now, see if you can find out what your customers think. Would comment cards be too tacky?

By the way, I would think it should definitely reassure you that you haven't gotten any negative feedback. Are the desserts selling well?

Michael aka "Pan"

If you're doing a study of a combination of ingredients, it sounds to me like you're trying to see if they work together and aren't sure. While we all study all our lives, I just think using "study" in a

The point isn't really that you are or are not experimenting, though I have to wonder whether anything is ever _really_ perfected - I certainly don't think about my music performances that way.

I'm more then happy not to call them a study of_ or a study in_. That's pretty much why I started this thread..........I'm brain dead on this matter. I can't figure out how to distingish 'this' from 'that' when they are so closely related. How do I help my client recall a memorable/repeatable dessert if I do something so similar that they will become confused? Not repeat flavor combos? Well I do because each time it's different, each time it's done with different components-and if your into desserts it's fun to explore the same topic from different approaches.

"anything is ever_really_perfected" well in spight of me saying so earilier I was just trying to point out that it's not a student study-it was a completed taste combo. "Perfected" god no! I'm with you on that point.

Naming desserts doesn't reflect me at all. I'm not a person who likes to put names to things, period. I never named a painting I did either. Although I enjoy how other people tie words to items......it feels very uncomfortable, unnatural for me to do this. I wish I had a style that reflects me-but it's a blank so far. I like to talk/communicate-but I don't particularly like words.

So I'm still banging my head against the wall.

P.S. Yes, desserts are selling well, the attention is sort of becoming embarassing. Everyone wants to meet me, I'm uncomfortable-I'm really a hermit-I like positive feed back-but behind my back, I don't like the spot light.

I say just tell the punters what they are. Don't even give 'em a title. Number them or something, and put in a nice description so that it's right there.

Or better still, put them in a case with a list of the major flavour players, and have the waitstaff invite customers to come and look. I prefer that anyway. I like to SEE my choices... the consistency of the fillings, the colour of the cake part, the layers... before I order. And I'll order more adventurously if I happen to get a sudden crush on something oddly attractive behind the glass, too.

Since you are dealing with almost exclusively repeat business, I like the idea of having categories of desserts and then changing the items within the category daily/weekly/seasonally. Some people will always want a fruit dessert, some always chocolate. So having a rotation within the categories sounds great to me. I'm sure you are only using this as an example, but just in case, I feel like I have to say don't have your chocolate always be combined with peanut butter. :raz:

Hmm, so your categories and some desserts could be:

Raw Fruit - Various Fruit Salads (keep them seasonal with just two or three fruits in the salad, so that there is variety throughout the year), Strawberries (or other seasonal berries) with or without whipped cream or zabaglione

Other Fruit - tarts, pies, compotes, crumbles

Chocolate - mousse, cakes, tortes, one pure chocolate flavor, one in combination (peanut butter or fruit)

Cheesecake - various toppings or flavors

Frozen - always ice cream and sorbet (do you do homemade?), and another frozen dessert

Obviously, my examples are not as ambitious as you describe, adjust to your circumstances. But the point is that the regular members will be satisfied in knowing that there will always be a dessert available in a category they like (my dad never met a cheesecake he didn't like and the dieters can always order a fruit salad or a sorbet), while even the chocoholics won't get bored because the chocolate dessert isn't always the same every time.

One more point, how often is the business repeated? Are the members required to spend a certain amount in the dining room every month? Are you preparing desserts for the golf lunch room as well as the fine dining room? Is there a separate fine dining room? I know my parents tend to go around the same time each month, and that there are many more people at the last weekend of the month vs. the first because members have to spend a certain amount every month or they pay it anyway. The point of this being, don't keep the desserts on a rotation that will have them being served during the same weekend each month. Instead have a 3, 5 or 7 week rotation.

I like that method Rachel, it does make the most sense for what I do. I'll give them catagories and then forget 'naming' any specific item.....just give them a description. I'll have to talk with my chef and design something pratical along those lines-I think he'll be williing. THANK-YOU, everyone, -this is a relief and so obvious I'm embarrased I didn't think of it sooner. (I'm good at missing the most obvious answers!)

Answers: I don't have a menu or cyle of desserts I rotate. Every week is new, different....no repeats unless requested. Yes, they have to spend so much every month. We have alot of people doing catering off their monthly tab also. So I have a fair amount of b-day cakes and such going out the back door. I do prepare desserts for all events, all rooms including outside-for golf events, breakfast, lunch and dinner... plus 1/2 way house. It's all repeat business, that's why I don't repeat desserts unless requested. Besides I own so damn many baking books I have fun working thru them all. I'm sure we have a certain percentage of members that do eat more toward the end of the month! But we have very good food for a club and they eat here constantly including take-out dinners through-out the week.

P.S. Yes, the peanut butter and chocolate cake was JUST and example!

Chef

I always find it helpful to categorize the desserts, in whatever manner you find conducive to your service

for example

cheese and honey

in this way you can always have a "cheese and honey" dessert, where the components can change daily.

These categories do not have to be fixed, for example you can utilize a roster of 24 "types" of desserts of which you serve 7 at a time.

Also, you can date the desserts, either seasonally or yearly, for example

Chocolate tart 2000,

this allows you to change a dessert without being repetitive or cannibalizing your own sales.

Another interesting approach is a title, or phrase,

White album

A walk through the garden

With minimum description underneath, the title can give you flexibility month to month.

Either way, for me the key to control is categorization and systemization of information.

Best of luck

If you are looking for word play, feel free to email me, I have time

P.S. Yes, desserts are selling well, the attention is sort of becoming embarassing. Everyone wants to meet me, I'm uncomfortable-I'm really a hermit-I like positive feed back-but behind my back, I don't like the spot light.

Congratulations, and get used to the spotlight! All of us who perform for the public need to be as comfortable as possible in shmoozing and gracefully accepting compliments.

Michael aka "Pan"

Ah well, I've gotten tripped up again yesterday. My mistake of not keeping exact records might be coming back to haunt me. Yesterday someone requested a dessert I did a while ago.........and of course I don't remember exactly what I did. I'm guilty of not being very formal in this position (being a part time empoyee), now it's time to get my act together (since they hired me full time).

I started thinking of catagories and it's very simple- basicly going off my recipe file. ....but geeze I've got ALOT of catagories. The only constant I have to follow is having 1 chocolate dessert on the menu.

This weeks menu:

1. Assorted cookie basket

2. Frozen vanilla bean souffle

3. Oreo crumb chocolate torte

4. Exotic curd fruit tart

So I break that into these catagories:

Cookies

Souffle

Chocolate

Tart

But then I revert to being dumb.........or a horrible writer I should say.

Cookies

Wendys assorted cookies of the day.

Souffle'

A frozen vanilla bean souffle' served on caramel and chocolate sauces. Roasted salted pecans and cookie tuile accompany.

Chocolate

Multi layered torte. Chocolate cookie base, flourless chocolate cake, vanilla cheesecake, chocolate cookie top, whipped cream and dusted with oreo cookies.

Tart

Sweet cookie crust filled with an exotic fruit curd. Finished with pineapple, kiwi, coconut and manderin oranges.

NOW see I HATE HATE how I describe items! Even though I'm now listing a catagory I still have the same poorly written descriptions-it puts me back to square one-hating writing descriptions. I can't figure out the 'linking' words and how to write them gracefully and naturally. Linking words: with, finished with, accompanied by, etc.....

How do I tell them how the dessert is completed? Do I just stick with the main item? But then the finishing components make or break the item. I have to make it sound simplier, less "gourmet".........if I just tell them a frozen vanilla bean souffle they won't sell, but if I tell them it's similar but lighter then ice cream and it's got ice cream sauces and toasted nuts-well THAT sells it to this clientele.

Help..........jeeze I still don't get it.........................feeling really dumb/frustrated........

Wendy,

Dessert is my specialty. Or should I say dessert-picking-from-menus-for-my-consumption is my specialty? And the dessert description can play a large part of this. “Wendy’s assorted cookies of the day” has a very rote feeling to it. If I am a looking at a menu of your offerings and this is listed, sorry but I am not going to pick this one. In my opinion, it shows a lack of excitement about the dessert at the venue. As a customer, I have no idea who writes these things up but I find them, generally, to be a good indicator of how well-liked a particular dessert item is by the staff. If you can’t find some way to describe a dessert that makes me want to have it, it doesn’t matter how good the item really is, I’ll probably never order it and find out. I shouldn’t say never because there are exceptions to every rule and if the cookies were on a buffet and I didn’t want to commit to particular dessert, I might try one.

A good description should involve more than just a mere recitation of the ingredients list. While I’m not suggesting you write a paragraph describing each dessert, you should keep in mind there is a certain element of seduction going on in dessert selection that I don’t think happens so much when a person is ordering their entrée. Most people are there for the entrée but not everyone has dessert. At a minimum, you might look at each composition and think about how you would describe it visually and then add a few taste clues.

FWIW, I have no background in restaurants but I’ve taken the liberty of reworking some of your items in a way that would interest me:

Cookie Basket

Wendy’s assorted home-made cookies of the day.

Frozen Vanilla Bean Soufflé

A light frozen parfait of vanilla-infused cream served on a swirl of caramel and chocolate sauces. The soufflé is topped with a sprinkling of fresh-roasted salted pecans and accompanied by a wafer-thin almond tuile.

Chocolate and Vanilla Torte

A flourless chocolate cake topped with a layer of rich vanilla cheesecake and sandwiched between a pair of double chocolate cookies. Whipped cream and a light dusting of Oreo cookies provides a finishing touch.

Seasonal Fruit Tart

An arrangement of seasonal fruits individually served in a sweet cookie crust with a layer of almond cream.

“They don't know the difference between a almond daqiouse, an almond pound cake or an almond sponge cake so I can't give them specific names to distingush differences. Maybe I should though...........? Maybe I should be working on this now to have a more educated client?”

The best way to do this by using a sort of code in your descriptions. For instance, Daquoise = Crunchy but Light, Sponge = Light, Pound = Rich, etc.

All the best,

N.

"The main thing to remember about Italian food is that when you put your groceries in the car, the quality of your dinner has already been decided." – Mario Batali

Hi Wendy,

I understand your frustration! I enjoy writing but when it comes to anything artistic, like plating or decorating I can never ever get it to come out the way I imagine and it really puts a damper on the whole experience! I think the thing to do is just to take a step back and realize that as long as it tastes good it all turns out in the end.

Some suggestions for your copy would be to use more action words and adjectives, to try to get people interested instead of worrying about getting every ingredient in- make sure to highlight what makes them unique but let the servers descibe them in detail if needed.

For example:

Cookie Basket

choose your favorites from a variety of cookies (chewy oatmeal, classic chocolate chip..) baked fresh daily.

Frozen Vanilla Bean Soufflé

Enjoy an ice-cold vanilla parfait resting on a swirl of chocolate and caramel, complimented by a wafer-thin almond tuile.

It is definitely harder than it looks!

Good luck.

1. Assorted cookie basket

2. Frozen vanilla bean souffle

3. Oreo crumb chocolate torte

4. Exotic curd fruit tart

Name 'em just like that. I would order ANY of those items in a heartbeat. Hell, I might just order them all. :biggrin:

Don Moore

Nashville, TN

Peace on Earth

oh you guys...........you all make it look so simple. I just can't find the right words like you all can. I can't do this, plain and simple I just don't have this ability. It's very frustrating for me. Right this second you have me thinking I should scrap this whole thing and just focus on what I do have some ability in.........and focus on my presentation tray..............I've got to think on this........find away for a person who doesn't write well to get around this.

Is there any source (book/magazine) that shows tons of desserts menus, so I could "steal" phrases and descriptions?

May I offer a different perspective on this issue?

Try to think of it from the diner's point of view.

Answer: Why do people go out to eat at a restaurant, country club, etc. and what do they want to do while there?

Customers pay to have the convenience of someone cooking and cleaning up for them, to try foods that they could not make for themselves, to enjoy a nice surrounding environment and enjoy the company of their friends, collegues and loved ones and to celebrate special occassions.

Not included in this mix is getting educated, studying or reading huge volumes of text. They just want an enjoyable time and the pleasure of eating good tasting food.

When I go out to eat, I just want a reasonably short description of what to expect on the plate, not every single ingredient. I also make restaurant choices based on what they do well and what I've enjoyed there before. It's a bummer to go to a favorite place because I was in the mood for their vegetarian lasagne (or whatever) and find they have now added roasted green peppers and shiitake mushrooms to it. I think, "Yuck! I came here to get lasagne with fresh spinach and creminis because that's the one I like! Now they go and change it just because the cook was bored with the recipe that day." The same goes for desserts.

Lack of consistency is the downfall of many a terrific establishment. Your goal , especially in a place that depends on repeat business, is to know what your customers want and expect and deliver it. That's not to say you can't mix it up a bit and add a few surprises here and there. That's what keeps the work interesting for you and the experience a joy for your clients. Keep your descriptions simple and use words that evoke pleasurable experineces-creamy milk chocolate-deep rich chocolate-toasted macadamias-s'more pie-zingy lemon-sweet & salty peanuts or the like.

"Exotic curd" sounds gross--could be like primordial soup.