• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Jazz Restaurants in Vancouver

There are few decent places for great jazz in this town. It's a shame, as we currently host quite an outstanding jazz program at Cap College, you would think these young students would start ripping up the town.

Jazz Cellar - west broadway. By far the best for jazz in the city. Food is ok and ambience is great. One downfall is that there is no dancefloor, but once I think I saw someone trying the horizontal mambo on one of the banquettes.

Capones - Hamilton st. Yaletown. Dinner, dancing, patio and italian food. You can't not like this place but I'm not sure who the entertainment is these days. Call ahead.

Frederico's Supper Club - Commercial Dr. This is where serious rug-busters go. I've never eaten there, but it should be worth the trip anyway.

To sum up. Jazz Cellar will have the best jazz, Frederico's the best dancing, with Capones having the best food. 3 way tie with no clear winner, I guess you'll have to hit all three!

ps. Carnegies has turned into Bogarts Chop House. I don't think they do music anymore.

I'm no expert on the restaurant industry, but I know a thing or two about drug abuse ...

-Daddy-A (Kitchen Troll)

I don't think the lack of a great jazz club is exclusive to Vancouver. In the US they have pride in what is their unique musical style, jazz. That being said it is slowly dying. All the great jazz musicians are long gone and have been replaced with artists like David Sanborn, Kenny G. or the slightly better bunch like Chic Corea and Stanley Clarke.

Let's face it the intellectuals that supported the bop era that spawned the greatest artists like Miles Davis, John Coltrane and Thelonious Monk are now more interested in bands like The Violent Femmes, The Shin's etc. Believe me if people were truly interested in supporting the jazz and great food thing we would have jazz bars.

David Cooper

"I'm no friggin genius". Rob Dibble

http://www.starlinebyirion.com/

• 3 weeks later...

You are right about The Cellar being a great jazz joint, but if you are looking for any conversation during dinner then I'd suggest somewhere else - talking is forbidden during the lengthy sets, and the place is small enough to prevent you from braking that rule.

Other places that have Jazz are Mo Butta in Gastown (www.mobutta.net) and O'Douls on Robson (www.odoulsrestaurant.com).

• 1 month later...

Just happened on this thread via another: aaaaaaah!!! Thank you, thank you!

We will be in Vancouver in a couple of weeks, staying with friends who are also jazz fans, so now I can suggest some places to go! :cool: