• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dining in Albuquerque

A friend and I are driving down from S.Fe to sit our National Board exams in acupuncture this weekend, and we'd like to enjoy a great dinner afterwards, preferably something we can't get in Santa Fe, and good enough to drive back to Albuquerque for. We'll be a couple of exhausted girls looking for a casual but awesome dining experience. Any fabulous unusual ethnic eats in ABQ?

Any fabulous unusual ethnic eats in ABQ?

Tora Bora House Afghan Cuisisne is a good bet locatedat 6219 Montgomery NE 830-6991.

Anapurna Ayurvedic Cuisine has a branch on Yale that is open for dinner. It's excellent .

Teaja is a good Korean place located in the strip mall next to Smiths on Lomas and San Pedro.

Cau House Vietnamese on Zuni near San Mateo is also good.

Good luck on your boards.

These sound great, Scott, even for someone not taking their boards! I'll keep them in mind.

Verjuice, how did your boards go? Did you remember to breathe??

"Portion control" implies you are actually going to have portions! ~ Susan G

Thanks for the suggestions; I didn't actually get them until I got back to Santa Fe, but we ended up hopping around a bit anyway. We had both been to Anapurna before, but yesterday we headed straight for wine and appetizers at Zinc just around the corner from our testing center (we both needed a drink). Later, we split a few entrees at Thai Orchid further up central, then hit Tora Bora House for appetizers, and on the way out of town, stopped at Pars for takeout for our hungry friends in Santa Fe.

What we both really wanted was good sushi, but we got too many conflicting recommendations from the locals we asked, so we tossed the idea.

As for the nationals, thanks for asking: I'll find out in a few weeks!

Edited by Verjuice (log)

What we both really wanted was good sushi, but we got too many conflicting recommendations from the locals we asked, so we tossed the idea.

I've had really good sushi at Japanese Kitchen. (I've been there ~ 3-4 times).

Japanese Kitchen

In the Park Square, Albuquerque

Near Winrock Mall.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

I drive way out of the way to get sushi at Nodas' Japanese Cuisine ("waay" out on Southern Boulevard in Rio Rancho). Excellent quality and lovely people. He also does an amazing chefs table (4 guest minimum) for either $50 or $100. I also like Minato And Japanese Kitchen in town for sushi.

Sounds like you had a great grazing party. I also really like Zinc and Orchid Thai as well.

I really like the sushi at Taka Sushi on San Pedro at Kathryn.......while the constant TV presence does nothing for me, the fish is jewel-toned and lovingly prepared. The owner/chef, Ike, is a wizened old man who radiates benevolence. Outstanding seaweed salad.

I'm a canning clean freak because there's no sorry large enough to cover the, "Oops! I gave you botulism" regrets.

• 3 months later...

My wife and I are driving from Denver to Phoenix for a few days, stopping in Albq on Tues. June 15, and Sun. June 20. We are going to stay at the Hampden Inn North on the north side (exit 231) on I-25. We are looking for someplace close with decent food. We don't need gourmet or expensive, just good food at a reasonable price. Any ideas will be appreciated. Thanks

colestove

A favorite New Mexican restaurant is right near where you'll be staying (one exit away)--Casa de Benavidez. They have a great carne adovada with red chile--and I also had some of the best natillas there for dessert. As mentioned in the quote below, they have a wonderfully landscaped patio dining area which could be nice and refreshing after a long drive.

"Casa de Benavidez - Locals recommend this spot for an elegant New Mexican dining experience. The carne adovada is a favorite menu item, and the patio is a beautiful place to sit in the summer. Monday-Saturday for breakfast, lunch and dinner, Sunday for breakfast and lunch. $$. Most major credit cards. 8032 4th St. N.W., Albuquerque. Phone 505-898-3311."

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

Here are a few other places that are not quite as close by but not far away either:

La Crepe Michelle (in Old Town) fantastic french bistro place; lovely ambiance in adobe bldg in old town; has other items besides crepes too.

Tomasitas: Large N. Mexcian style restaurant; if you need another place to satiate your green chile fix. Has a large, pretty, outside dining area with lots of greenery as well. I think the food is better at Casa Benevides but it is pretty good here too.

Route 66 Diner: Diner food with a nice 50's retro feel; not fancy. Great shakes, egg creams, etc. in addition to N. Mex. diner favorites

Seasons: Most 'upscale' of the places I've mentioned but still relatively casual with entrees at $15-20. Nice cocktails, salads. They specialize in grilled meats, but also typically have a few nice fish entrees. If you come early for a margarita, you can sit upstairs in their rooftop cantina and have a splendid view of the sunset or 'pink moment' on the Sandia mountains.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

After a week's vacation driving solo all around New Mexico, I want a great "New Mexican" meal for my last night, which is in Albuquerque...where should I go?

I already searched this forum but didn't find much. Any thoughts? I'd take recommendations on other types of cuisine as well. Thanks.

Try Cafe Bodega on Montgomery. I love the crabcakes, fontina filled ravioli with duck confit and wild mushrooms in a duck broth. Meats are done in the tandoor oven and fish is flown in from the coast and never overcooked. Bread is made in house and the desserts are great. Can you tell it's my favorite place in Burque.

I'm so sorry. I read your post quickly before going to bed and did not notice the words New and Mexican. Bodega will have a few "touches like a great relleno on the veggie plate or a chile infusion etc. But it's a New American menu.

Caveat: The chile at my favorite places is usually too hot for my out of town friends and family (even my twin brother who loved hot food could not finish several of his meals here).

That said, I'd recommend El Patio (my wife gets hiccups evry time we eat there from the chile). Los Cautes (large portions and according to some too much grease and too much cheese). Be sure go to the old one located at 501B Lomas since there are two locations. Casa Benevides has more ambience and has pretty good food. Mary and Titos' has great red chile and adovado but they close at 8PM. So there you have it. If you have any specific questions feel free to e mail me.

Edited by chow guy (log)

• 2 months later...

does anyone have a good suggestion for homemade quality traditional food in albuquerque?

pinto's has great salsa, but they don't cook their tortillas before they stack the enchiladas and it drives me crazy...they use pre-fab taco shells...

rancho de corrales is hit and miss, the old mansion down in old town (i've forgotten the name)

is lovely but the food is average...

any little hole in the wall traditional new mexican restaurant that you could take your mother to...the mother who taught you how to make tortillas...

i find myself having to go to cafe pascual's in santa fe for good enchiladas...(or make them at home)

thanks...

El Patio (142 Harvard ) in Abuquerque near the University I think fits exactly what you are looking for. It is a small family-owned restaurant with excellent bowls of green and also carne adovada. Always so difficult for me to pick which one to have so I go there at least twice per visit. Modest place with nice "patio dining" when it warm enough; also room inside.

Another place with excellent food that is a little fancier in Abq is

Casa de Benavidez. They have a great carne adovada with red chile--and I also had some of the best natillas there for dessert. They also have a wonderfully landscaped patio dining area and a nice indoor area.

Monday-Saturday for breakfast, lunch and dinner, Sunday for breakfast and lunch. $$. Most major credit cards. 8032 4th St. N.W., Albuquerque. Phone 505-898-3311."

I've been to most of the places you've mentioned, including Tomasitas, and I think the two restaurants above are really tops. One NM restaurant that I haven't been too yet that has a long tradition in Abq is Sadies. We tried to go there once but there was a massive line and the don't take reservations.

Edited by ludja (log)

Oooh boy, a topic I am actually qualified to post on! *grin*

Mary & Tito's - 4th Street near Menaul. Outstanding red. Very homey.

Chilepeno's - Sandia Park, on the left just before the ski area (Crest Road) turnoff. Hopefully the *location* isn't a turn-off, as the food is excellent. Owned by the same family as:

Perea's Tijuana Bar & Grill: North Valley, not positive on the exact location.

Garcia's, downtown (Central & 10th or thereabouts)

Mariachi - NE Heights, Juan Tabo near Candelaria. Little dive of a place, the owner/mistress/waitress can be a bit tepid in her attitude but the food is very down home.

All of the above are inexpensive (less than $10).

....and in Santa Fe, Horseman's Haven. On Cerillos near the autopark, next door to a new Phillips gas station. Hot hot hot green, but very flavorful.

Need more? I'll think of some....

Andrea

http://tenacity.net

"You can't taste the beauty and energy of the Earth in a Twinkie." - Astrid Alauda

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Food Lovers' Guide to Santa Fe, Albuquerque & Taos: OMG I wrote a book. Woo!

Oooh boy, a topic I am actually qualified to post on! *grin*

Mary & Tito's - 4th Street near Menaul. Outstanding red. Very homey.

Chilepeno's - Sandia Park, on the left just before the ski area (Crest Road) turnoff. Hopefully the *location* isn't a turn-off, as the food is excellent. Owned by the same family as:

Perea's Tijuana Bar & Grill: North Valley, not positive on the exact location.

Garcia's, downtown (Central & 10th or thereabouts)

Mariachi - NE Heights, Juan Tabo near Candelaria. Little dive of a place, the owner/mistress/waitress can be a bit tepid in her attitude but the food is very down home.

All of the above are inexpensive (less than $10).

....and in Santa Fe, Horseman's Haven. On Cerillos near the autopark, next door to a new Phillips gas station. Hot hot hot green, but very flavorful.

Need more? I'll think of some....

Andrea

thanks andrea,

i look forward to trying them. all of them.

t.

• 3 weeks later...

my favorite is not in ABQ, but in Espanola. its El Parasol which is a take out spot,

tho they do have a restaurant next door. turn east at the long john silver off the

main road.as the guide michelin would say "worth a journey"

in Espanola. its El Parasol

El Parasol has an outpost on Cerrillos Road in Santa Fe, open Monday through Saturday, take out only. I agree with you that it is good fast food. They make the sauces and chicken themselves [i don't know about the other meats].

Linda

-------------------

"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it."

--- Henry David Thoreau

• 2 months later...

During my last visit to New Mexico I ate some very good New Mexican food at two new places (for me) in Abq--one surprising, one not.

The surprising spot was at the top of Sandia Peak (via the Gondola) in the restaurant up there called "High Finance". We took the ride up for the snowy landscape and views but I was hungary and got a bowl of green chile stew. It was very good! (I had green chile on a couple of other occasions on the trip and it was one of the best). A word of warning though--it's not a New Mexican restaurant--they just happen to have green chile stew on there--also; I haven't eaten anything else there besided Manhattans...

high finance link

The other place is not as surprising a place to find good New Mexican food, although it was my first time there--

"Barelas Coffee House

1502 Fourth SW, 843-7577 · $ · (new mexican)

Meals Served: Breakfast · Lunch

The Best New Mexican Restaurant in Albuquerque, according to our readers, and the place to get the Best Posole, too. You'd better get to Barelas early on Saturday morning if you don't want to have to wait in line for a table. This homey New Mexican joint is popular and though it's much bigger inside than you can tell from the street, regulars pack the place tighter than a tamale. Barelas is known for huevos rancheros and they are tasty here, slathered in particularly good red chile. If the weather's nice, you can ask for a seat on the shady patio."

Barelas Coffeshop link

I got a great bowl of green here; my friend got a great carne adovada enchilada. He's lived in Abq for over 10 years, loves N. Mexican food and proclaimed this the best red he's had...

Edited by ludja (log)

All of the recommendations so far have been good, with one exception. I have eaten dinner at the High Finance, and it is amazingly sub-par for the prices and for the fact that all they had to do was bring the food supplies over via a 30 minute drive.

If the restaurant were in the middle of nowhere and you had to hike in for 2 days, the quality of the food might be expected to be just OK, but the High Finance does not have that excuse. Eat at the bottom of the tram at Santiago's instead. Far, far better fare.

For the record, here is a website with some pretty comprehensive reviews of many many ABQ restaurants: Gil Garduno's reviews

Miss Tenacity / Andrea

"You can't taste the beauty and energy of the Earth in a Twinkie." - Astrid Alauda

All of the recommendations so far have been good, with one exception.  I have eaten dinner at the High Finance, and it is amazingly sub-par for the prices and for the fact that all they had to do was bring the food supplies over via a 30 minute drive.

Thanks for the link misstenacity...

Do you have any other personal faves for new mexican food there?

I should have been clearer re: my rec on High Finance-- the bowl of green is very good! I haven't (and wouldn't recommend eating anything else there!)--other than maybe a cocktail or beer and enjoy the view.

(in other words, one takes the tram ride for the view (not the food); if you're up there and hungary though---try a bowl of the green chile)

Thanks for prompting me to clarify this misstenacity---I wouldn't want someone taking the tram up there for the express purpose of food!

(The view is great--day and night; in the snow or not... :smile: )

Edited by ludja (log)

I will be in Albuquerque in early February. I am interested in inexpensive to moderately priced ethnic restaurants especially but not exclusively Mexican. I am also interested in good breakfast spots. Thank you.

A fabulous site for buckets of info about Albuquerque restaurants is Gil Garduno's site (link to his Duke City page - hover over "duke city dining" icon for a drop-down menu of categories by ethnicity and food type): Gil's ABQ page

Also (shameless plug), the foodblog this week is written in/about Albuquerque.

Ask if you'd like more specific recommendations - I've got tons of them.

Andrea

One fun place you may want to try out for breakfast is The Frontier right on Central Ave across from the University. It's quite a scene, great for people watching, good prices and somewhat of an institution in Abq. (Large breakfast menu, at least all morning; maybe at other times as well).

Edited by gfron1 (log)