• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Origin French Thai opens in Morristown

JohnnyH

I've never been to the original venue in Somerville, but Origin just opened a new place on South Street in Morristown, about a block before the green. We had dinner there last night -- excellent.

Origin French Thai

I'll gratefully add another to the (short) list of good restaurants in the area.

"All humans are out of their f*cking minds -- every single one of them."

-- Albert Ellis

I had lunch there yesterday which is very inexpensive and comes with soup or salad and a small Thai eggroll. Most lunch items were $8. Started with an excellent mushroom/leek soup. We shared a tofu and Chinese vegetable stir fry that came with a scoop of white rice; Chinese chicken salad; and a spicy noodle dish. Food was just as outstanding as the Somerville location.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Can you give us a landmark/area on South Street? The address doesn't mean much...

Thanks!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Great. Thanks, Rosie!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

I spoke to a friend his morning who lives in Morristown; when I mentioned that OFT had opened, she said "Wow...finally!" Seems that the woman who cuts her hair (also in Morristown) had just been telling her about the very tough time the owners of OFT had in dealing with the town. Seems that the Town doesn't make it easy on new business owners, but that luckily, the owners of OFT were able to afford everything thrown their way. No wonder Morristown can't fully get over the hump... :hmmm:

Caveat: Trust me, I know what Morristown was vs. what it is now--I grew up out there--but any time I'm there for dinner, I'm still saddened to see how dead the town is in general. I really hope OFT does well!

I spoke to a friend his morning who lives in Morristown; when I mentioned that OFT had opened, she said "Wow...finally!"  Seems that the woman who cuts her hair (also in Morristown) had just been telling her about the very tough time the owners of OFT had in dealing with the town.  Seems that the Town doesn't make it easy on new business owners, but that luckily, the owners of OFT were able to afford everything thrown their way.  No wonder Morristown can't fully get over the hump... :hmmm:

Caveat: Trust me, I know what Morristown was vs. what it is now--I grew up out there--but any time I'm there for dinner, I'm still saddened to see how dead the town is in general.  I really hope OFT does well!

I can't speak for what Morristown was, but having lived here now for the better part of six months I feel qualified to make a statement or two about what it is. It amazes me what the good people of Morristown are willing to settle for with regard to food. I have been turning over rocks since December trying to put together a list of a few reliably decent places to eat; that's just what I've come up with -- a few. Origin French Thai is a godsend. It joins Orzo -- a relatively new Italian place also near the center of Morristown -- as a place I can eat with something more than just resignation and a set of low expectations.

Now if someone out here could just manage to get a burger right...

"All humans are out of their f*cking minds -- every single one of them."

-- Albert Ellis

• 5 weeks later...

Does anyone know the phone number for Origin in Morristown? The number on their web site doesn't work and I'm trying to make reservations for tonight. Thanks!

• 3 months later...

Was at Origin last friday night for dinner and it was fabulous. We walked in without a resevrvation around 7:15 and managed to get a table, but the palce filled up quickly and there was a line at the door when we left. The food was beautifully prepared and bursting with flavor. The service was attentive and we will return soon, but this time I will make sure I reserve.

Been for lunch 5 times, love it. Went for dinner with my wife. It seemed like it wasn't even the same place. Tasteless salads, dry duck, extremely dry grilled "prime" steak. No chance that is prime meat.

I wrote a longer write up 5 minutes ago, but when I hit reply, my computer crashed. It was much more informative than this.