• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Male & Female Beers

Just reading your bios, makes me crave a beer... But not just any beer... I have my favorites and my husband has his... Both very different in our tastes. Would you say there are certain beers preferred by one gender over the other?

Taste is definitely personal but I don't really think there is a gender bias, contrary to popular belief. (I sometimes get annoyed when a server suggests to me that I would like the fruity, light beer.)

I believe women may be actually be more adventurous in tasting. I recently read about a study that indicated women in general perceive more subtle flavors and aromas.

"There's a whole lotta things I ain't never done, but I ain't never had too much fun" Commander Cody

Here are some beer styles that I think make good "training" beers and examples you might be able to find of each. I hesitate to suggest a specific beer as I don't know what is available in your market.

Belgian Wit (or white) Beer: Wit Beer Choices

Saison/Bière de Garde: Saison/Bière de Garde Choices

Alt Beer: Alt Choices

Kölsch: Kölsch Beers

Hefewiezen: Hefewiezen Choices

Scottish Ale: Scottish Ale Choices

Pale Lager: Pale Lager Choices

Those should keep you busy for a while!

givemebeer.gif

"There's a whole lotta things I ain't never done, but I ain't never had too much fun" Commander Cody

What are some good, different beers to try so I can start breaking away from Corona, Molson, Heineken...?

I weaned her off of that awful Heineken with Paulaner Hefeweissbier and Blue Moon Belgian White, now she likes Spaten Münchner Hell, you might try those.. .

Edited by Samhill (log)