• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Park City, Utah

I've never been to Park City before, but happily find myself heading out there to ski in early December. Assuming that I don't break a leg (I haven't been on skis in over 10 years), does anyone have recommendations for great food in the area? Cheap, or not, fancy, or not, doesn't matter to me. As long as it tastes good, I'm happy.

Thanks!!

Alicia -- Welcome to eGullet! I can recommend The Tree Room at Sun Dance. It's only a short drive from Park City, even in driving snow. The menu changes, of course, but we had Grilled Trout with Leeks, Mushrooms and Toasted Pumkin Seed Vinaigrette; Herb Crusted Rack of Lamb with Lamb Sausage, White Bean Puree and Roasted Garlic; and Grilled Rib Eye with a Zinfandel Butter and Horseradish Mashed Potatoes. There was a Roasted Beet, Arugula and Orange with Shallot Vinaigrette; and Mixed Baby Greens with a Smoked Green Apple Vinaigrette. There was more and everything was wonderful. Call ahead for reservations.

Also, there was a decent Sushi place on the main drag in Park City.

Also, there was a decent Sushi place on the main drag in Park City.

I don't know if we're thinking about the same place, but I think I ate sushi at this place on the main downtown street every night. Can't remember the name.

I had a really, really good miso black cod there.

Alicia,

The Tree Room at Sundance is probably the best restaurant within reach of Park City, but they have a new Executive Chef , so I would expect the menu to change rather soon ( by Thanksgiving) The new chef is very creative ( he was chef/partner at a place in downtown Salt Lake City that has closed ) so if you go there expect some innovative choices. :smile:

Take care,

Jason

Innovation is good! I can really get into interesting food options. A recent favorite was a between-course (can't remember the official term for that) wasabi-green apple sorbet served with a few drops of banana-infused olive oil. It was delicious! Bizarre, but delicious all the same. We will definitely try the Tree Room. Thanks again!

Oh - and I regularly get together for sushi with the friends that I'm skiing with, so we'll definitely have to hit the sushi place.

Great - its 9:30 in the morning, and now I'm hungry - does that ever happen to anyone else while they're on this site?

What about breakfast places? Any ideas there?

• 5 months later...

I am tagging along with my wife to a conference in Park City this summer. I would love to find out about great ( and especially) inexpensive places to eat. I'll be on my own during the day but dinner spots too since I usually avoid hotel food. Thanks in advance.

• 6 months later...

I'm going skiing with my family and three other families (so a total of about 20 people) in Park City right after Christmas. We've been skiing as a group for several years now, and they're all nice people, but really crappy organizers when it comes to dining plans. So I'm going to push things along a bit this year and make plans in advance, thereby avoiding long waits and indecision and general chaos.

I really despise herd dining, particularly when it involves children, but at least if I can find decent food it won't be quite so bad.

So, reasonably good food that's not nosebleed expensive served in a restaurant that will tolerate children (no babies, and the youngest child is 10, so not really too dreadful). Fairly adventurous palates, even the children, so ethnic would be fine.

Can you pee in the ocean?

I'm going skiing with my family and three other families (so a total of about 20 people) in Park City right after Christmas. We've been skiing as a group for several years now, and they're all nice people, but really crappy organizers when it comes to dining plans. So I'm going to push things along a bit this year and make plans in advance, thereby avoiding long waits and indecision and general chaos.

I really despise herd dining, particularly when it involves children, but at least if I can find decent food it won't be quite so bad.

So, reasonably good food that's not nosebleed expensive served in a restaurant that will tolerate children (no babies, and the youngest child is 10, so not really too dreadful). Fairly adventurous palates, even the children, so ethnic would be fine.

There is a fun brew pub at the top of the main drag in Park City called Waschau (sp?) Brew Pub. Food is fun, quite good and it's not pricey. When we were there in August there were large family groups with kids. I would call and reserve though it's a very popular place.

• 5 weeks later...

A summary of our dining experiences in Park City, with some very specific recommendations. I couldn't get anybody to agree to planning ahead, of course.

First night we had burgers at a place at Park City Resort, the Corner something or other---no planning ahead, of course, and restaurants mobbed, so this was our only option. Very bedraggled surroundings, friendly and laid-back staff (you order at the counter and they bring it to you), burgers surprisingly good. Okay if that's what you're looking for.

Next night was the only one I managed to actually plan, and even that was only done that morning. We went to Taste of Saigon, a nominally Vietnamese restaurant that's been dumbed down significantly, but still reasonably tasty, healthy, and inexpensive (by ski resort standards) food.

Next night husband and I went out alone to a really excellent place, Renee's. Not right on Main Street, and not particularly meat-centered, so not particularly busy. Cool space, with large central round bar (full liquor license), live music (but no smoking, so pretty much perfect). Service friendly and competent, food excellent (insalata caprese, risotto with sausage and grilled vegetables, and grilled banana for me), and price points very low: nothing over $15, most of the menu under $11. Decent wine selection.

Some others went to Wasatch Brew Pub and waited a while for reportedly okay food.

Later in the week they ordered in Chinese from some place called Wabo (I think). Worst Chinese food I've ever eaten---bland, greasy, crappy ingredients.

We made fajitas for the group one evening. Very good if I do say so myself (I'm the primary cook sort of person), though the people doing the shopping either didn't understand the sort of meat that fajitas require, or the meat department at Albertson's was really bad. I'm guessing the former.

Last night we returned to Renee's (having invited another couple, who then decided that they needed to bring their daughter along---if I'd wanted to dine with teenagers I'd have invited my own along) for another outstanding meal.

Can you pee in the ocean?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

We blow through Provo from time to time and usually have time for one meal only. This Labor Day weekend we'll have time for 3 or 4, and a car to get there. We'll also have a gang of people who may have wildly different ideas about what to eat than we do, but there it is.

Given a choice, where should we choose to eat in Provo? We like Mexican, especially if we can find real, hole-in-the-wall-honest-Mexican food. (There's a great place like that in Ogden, but that's the wrong end of the basin.) We like good steak, basic cowboy food, Italian, Asian. Seafood...well, we love it but would be skeptical of eating it in Provo.

Where should we go?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

There's a surprisingly good Indian restaurant there. I see a listing for Bombay House--can't remember if that's the name but as it's the only one there it probably is. It's on University Avenue.

At least it was good four or five years ago. If you go there, let me know what you think.

Oh, they have a website:

http://www.bombayhouse.com/index.html

Edited by Terrasanct (log)

• 6 months later...

We'll be heading to SLC/Park City for a weekend trip in the next few weeks, and I'm interested in visiting a fun, maybe off-the-beaten-path SLC restaurant (maybe a smaller, more intimate but doesn't have to be fancy, just great food place) and then need some ideas for where to eat in Park City. Please help! thanks

• 1 month later...
We'll be heading to SLC/Park City for a weekend trip in the next few weeks, and I'm interested in visiting a fun, maybe off-the-beaten-path SLC restaurant (maybe a smaller, more intimate but doesn't have to be fancy, just great food place) and then need some ideas for where to eat in Park City. Please help! thanks

Well, the Stein Erickson Lodge is excellent. It is a bit tricky to find but it is very well respected. Raymond Lammers is the executive pastry chef and has achieved a number of awards -- including competing in the National Pastry Competition.

You might also want to try Chimayo which is a southwestern style restraunt. The food there is excellent. I always chuckle though because I grew up not far from the real Chimayo and I regularly go there to buy my chili. The food at the restraunt is a bit different than that served in the local area. But the food is excellent none-the-less.

Right up the street from Chimayo is an Italian place. I forgot the name but it is on the same side of the street and they have a little brick patio in front. The food there is really good. I like their pork tenderloin though I often have to take it home because I get full on their incredible bread.

Hope this helps,

-Art

Amano Artisan Chocolate

http://www.amanochocolate.com/

I second the Stein Erikson lodge. It was a really great meal and desert was definately amazing. We were a 6 top, and all got a different desert and not a miss among them.

The view is amazing as well. It is somewhat pricey, but no more pricey than anything you will find on Main Street, and is a much higher quality of food.

I would stay away from the new wine bar that opened up in town. (PM me if you want the name). When we were there in March skiing, we stopped in for a nightcap and although they did the best they could sprucing up their basement space, it still looks like someone built a bar in their basement and stuck a couple of buddahs around.

They do have an amazing number of wines by the glass ranging from 8 bucks up to 40 bucks a glass, but I am still scratching my head how they can keep all those bottles fresh once opened.. I am sure they don't get a huge calling on a $40 glass of bordeaux so I would be weary of ordering it unless you see them opening the bottle, getting the last glass in that could be interesting.

We did order a few glasses of wine (3 total) and were overcharged for all 3 resulting in inflating the tab from 29 to almost 74. They quickly corrected it, but it was quite an overcharge.

We only had one round because the table we were at was right next to the live music that started right after we were seated, and while that wasn't to bad -- we decided we had to leave when the original poetry works inbetween original songs started. :blink:

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

I don't make it up to Park City that often so I'm not too sure of the food up there. However if you do make it down to salt lake there are a few places I would reccomend.

Fresco: nice, small, northern italian. good food, great setting

Red Iguana: some of the best mexican food I have had anywhere. a must see. The mole is freaking brilliant.

Metropolitan: (I'm a little biased cause I cook there). We just rolled out a new spring menu that has some delicious things. :)

• 9 months later...
  • 3 months later...

:huh: Any updates here? Himself and I will be out there the last week in June with a car so anything outside of Park City is also appreciated.

Can you get NM style chile (green and/or red) flavor food commonly in Utah?

I'm open to most any suggestions, even meat and taters. Maureen