• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Red Dog Café in Rock Creek / Silver Spring

Malawry

Forget what I said about a new fine dining restaurant in Silver Spring. Looks like we have something more casual going into the shopping center where Parkway Deli is instead. Grand opening Feb 14. Having tasted Chef Janis's food before I am sure everything they turn out will be excellent, but I am bummed they didn't move into some space in the downtown area.

Red Dog Cafe

• 2 months later...
Forget what I said about a new fine dining restaurant in Silver Spring. Looks like we have something more casual going into the shopping center where Parkway Deli is instead. Grand opening Feb 14. Having tasted Chef Janis's food before I am sure everything they turn out will be excellent, but I am bummed they didn't move into some space in the downtown area.

Red Dog Cafe

Update on the new Red Dog Cafe...The space looks pretty much ready to go, and a sign outside announces a March 2004 opening. Yesterday there was a troop of folks inside with the chef in what seemed to be a tasting/tour. With the red garage door entrance and outdoor seating, this place is sure to be popular in the neighborhood. I hope it will be a nice alternative to Parkway Deli!

As the Red Dog opening seems to be coming up soon, we should arrange an outing.

It may not be inspiring enough to bring people up from elsewhere around DC, but there are more than enough SS/TP people around here so that we could probably get at least a few of us together.

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

It may not be inspiring enough to bring people up from elsewhere around DC, but there are more than enough SS/TP people around here so that we could probably get at least a few of us together.

I'd even be willing to cross the border from Rockville. :wink:

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

I'd even be willing to cross the border from Rockville. :wink:

And I could be convinced to leave DC to check this out.

Red Dog Cafe opened Monday! As it is around the corner, we ventured over last night to try the pizza from the wood-fired oven (what could be better on a cold misty night?!). After waiting a few minutes for a table (the 20ish tables were full, quite impressive for a first week) we were seated. Being the second day in business there are some kinks to work out, mainly that they were not serving any dishes containing bread because they ran out of dough...Problem with this is that 2/3 of the menu has bread in some form (pizza, sandwiches, flatbreads, etc)!

Limited choices nonetheless, we stayed to order a pulled-duck salad, mac & cheese, mussles, coffee and a lemonade that turned out to be lemon juice with apple juice, no sugar added (yikes). We probably should have boogied on over to the Parkway Deli to give the Red Dog a bit more time to come together, but we gave it a shot. Our order was lost, then found. The dishes came quite late and were...ok. Duck salad had a good flavor but a rushed presentation. The Mac & cheese was quite plain, and the mussles seemed to be in need of white wine (perhaps waiting on the liquor license that is due to arrive in May). Total bill came to $37.00 for four people ordering three dishes.

The kitchen is visible to diners, and certainly gave the impression that organization is needed. Despite what seemed like 6 waiters for the 20 tables, prepared plates sat waiting for their waiters to notice and and orders were forgotten. Customers sat without food or drink while staff attended to what seemed like friends who were there to support the new venture.

The menu is promising and I am ready to go back and try the pizza. This is a spot with great potential and is a nice option to have in the neighborhood. With a bit of practice I am hoping that they will get their service together. Egulleters may want to wait a month or so, maybe planning the outing for May when the liquor license comes through and we can enjoy a glass of wine while we wait.

Has anybody else ventured over?

Red Dog Cafe opened Monday! As it is around the corner, we ventured over last night to try the pizza from the wood-fired oven (what could be better on a cold misty night?!). After waiting a few minutes for a table (the 20ish tables were full, quite impressive for a first week) we were seated. Being the second day in business there are some kinks to work out, mainly that they were not serving any dishes containing bread because they ran out of dough...Problem with this is that 2/3 of the menu has bread in some form (pizza, sandwiches, flatbreads, etc)!

Limited choices nonetheless, we stayed to order a pulled-duck salad, mac & cheese, mussles, coffee and a lemonade that turned out to be lemon juice with apple juice, no sugar added (yikes). We probably should have boogied on over to the Parkway Deli to give the Red Dog a bit more time to come together, but we gave it a shot. Our order was lost, then found. The dishes came quite late and were...ok. Duck salad had a good flavor but a rushed presentation. The Mac & cheese was quite plain, and the mussles seemed to be in need of white wine (perhaps waiting on the liquor license that is due to arrive in May). Total bill came to $37.00 for four people ordering three dishes.

The kitchen is visible to diners, and certainly gave the impression that organization is needed. Despite what seemed like 6 waiters for the 20 tables, prepared plates sat waiting for their waiters to notice and and orders were forgotten. Customers sat without food or drink while staff attended to what seemed like friends who were there to support the new venture.

The menu is promising and I am ready to go back and try the pizza. This is a spot with great potential and is a nice option to have in the neighborhood. With a bit of practice I am hoping that they will get their service together. Egulleters may want to wait a month or so, maybe planning the outing for May when the liquor license comes through and we can enjoy a glass of wine while we wait.

Has anybody else ventured over?

Mrs. P,

Thanks for the update. The menu sounds a little more extensive than I thought it was going to be from their (rather limited) web site.

No liquor license yet? Ouch. Holding off until they get one sounds like a good idea.

Might try to sneak in for lunch this weekend to try the 'za.

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

I was between errands on the East-West Highway today, so I made a side trip to Red Dog Cafe for lunch, partly because that Grubb St. shopping center has long been on my list of things I've heard a lot about but never actually managed to find. Sort of like compassionate conservatism.

Anyway, it's a casual space done up in a DIY Cosi motif, but everything is functional and comfortable. They seem to be off to a good start in the neighborhood too as, without resorting to excessive alliteration, there were a lot of local ladies lunching. Being just about full in their first week of operation, the kitchen and wait staff were struggling a bit, but were trying cheerfully to get into the groove. I got the Asparagus soup and the Pulled Pork Ripieghi -- which arrived in reverse order amid some confusion. The pork was not really "pulled" in the traditional sense, rather braised (I'd guess) and chunked, but was tasty and succulent. It came with a Piedmont (who knew?) BBQ sauce that I liked for its pronounced vinegary kick and was folded inside an interesting disc of half inch-thick, spongy flatbread. An unusual sandwich I'd happily try again, maybe in its lemon chicken incarnation next time. You get a choice of sides and I can vouch for the coleslaw, which was fresh and crisp. The big mug of soup was thick and satisfying, if a little bland to my taste. Total cost: $12. My guess is it'll quickly become a standby for folks in the neighborhood and a worthwhile occasional stopoff for anyone else passing through the area or headed for the bright lights of the New! Improved! Downtown! Silver! Spring!

"Mine goes off like a rocket." -- Tom Sietsema, Washington Post, Feb. 16.

• 3 weeks later...

Just had a business meeting at the Red Dog Cafe. Friendly little place, with an open kitchen and attractive red walls. We sat on the patio, so I didn't get to see much action. I had the mixed green salad with braised duck, lardons and port-wine grapes for my dinner--exactly the sort of thing I like to eat on a warm night. The duck was richly flavored and generous, but the bacon lardons were too small for my tastes...I like bigger batons, not little Chow Mein-noodle-like bacon bits. The decaf coffee I had afterwards wasn't hot enough, which was a disappointment. The menu parrots the coffees as a point of pride for the place. The service seemed friendly but a little absent-minded, which is mostly what I'd expected. No beer or wine, and because I was there for a meeting I was unable to ask if they were planned for the future.

For Silver Spring, it's a wonderful phenomenon, IMO. I'll be going back and exploring more of the menu.

A little delayed, but wanted to report on the dinner at Red Dog Friday night. Just me and Mrs JPW.

The space is pretty, bright almoest Provencal colors in a long narrow space with a pack of 10 tables up front, then about 10 more along the left side wall and the coffee/juice bar and open kitchen along the right side wall with brick oven in the back. All in all, a very friendly looking and welcoming place. The patio is about 10 tables on a pad in the parking lot.

Service problems were openly obvious from the start. For the approximately 30 tables, they had 3 waitors, 1 not very energetic busboy, and John the owner trying to help out. No hostess. Several groups just walked out. They really need to work on their staffing levels. Hopefully, over the next month or so they will be able to iron out some of the opening month problems.

Mrs JPW had the "trio of snackbreads" and the "baby mixed greens" salad. In addition to eating her food, I tried the sausage and pepperoni pizza. The most successful of the 3 was easily the trio of snackbreads. Just slightly sweet pieces of bread with slight toppings (for the sausage and onion and chicken and raddichio a little too slight). The caramelized tom with herbs was the best. The baby mixed greens salad was very solid although the goat cheese at times got lost in all the sweet ingredients. The pizza was probably closest to California-style. Thicker crust than true Neapolitan, not quite as loaded as NYC pie. Sauce was OK, cheese was very good, toppings were good although it could have used a better sausage-pep balance. I'd put it on the same level as Sette's pies but not near 2 Amys. Mrs JPW closed with a nicely done apple crisp.

I had some really good iced tea and a decent glass of espresso. Liquor license is expected May 20. Huge menu of various fruit and veggie juice concoctions in addition to coffee "drinks".

Despite the service problems (our waitress was trying her hardest, but when you get 5 tables sat in the space of 5 minutes you're just screwed) it was a pleasurable experience since we were in no hurry, especially for the price. There are some hints of a very good restaurant developing if they do well in correcting some of the opening month problems. A place that is sorely needed and welcome in SS. Like Malawry, I saw plenty of dishes that look to be worth investigating in the future.

Joe W

I went back to Red Dog for dinner with my partner and a friend tonight. We sat in the dining room (too cold to be outside). I enjoyed the rich red walls and the brick oven...the space feels quite warm. This time Chef Janis saw me and seemed to recognize me so I chatted with her for a moment before making my way to my table. She's ever-cheerful, a really warm person, and her restaurant reflects her personality.

This time I ordered the cedar plank salmon-topped salad...spinach and baby arugula, shaved fennel, and shallot-sherry vinaigrette (I asked for a switch from the citrus vinaigrette that came with it; I'm allergic to many forms of citrus). The salmon was cold, had crisp edges, and was flaked and scattered across the salad..they deboned it, which made the salad easy to eat. My husband selected the chicken under a brick , which comes with one of four or five sides. (He picked the house salad.) He received a generous half a bird, with crisp skin and juicy flesh. And our friend ordered the mushroom pizza...I had a taste and enjoyed a bit of crispy char from the floor of the big oven in the back. I only sampled a bite (and it wasn't of outer crust where the true colors of a pizza shine) but it seemed about on a par with what you get at Matchbox.

That salad was only $9.95, by the way, and the half-chicken something like $12. I'm really loving that this place is so close to my home and expect I'll be appearing there with some regularity. Extra bonus visits once they get their wine program up and running.

Thanks for the update Malawry. I haven't been back since opening week but it sounds like they are coming together! It seems to be pretty busy whenever I pass by, so I'll be making a stop there soon. Do you happen to know if they are they still aiming to have the liquor license by the end of May? That mushroom-gorgonzola pizza sounds really good! :rolleyes:

I'm not sure...I didn't ask about the license. I'll try to find out when I go back...I am trailing on Mother's Day. :wacko:

Just an fyi--don't try to swing by for a late lunch, early dinner, like I tried to do today--they're closed real-food-wise between 3 and 5PM. Open for espresso, juice, muffins and the like only.

Remember not to be spontaneous when you find yourself at IKEA, to read the website more closely next time or call ahead for hours of operation.

Steve Klc

Pastry chef-Restaurant Consultant

Oyamel : Zaytinya : Cafe Atlantico : Jaleo

chef@pastryarts.com

Had lunch today at reddog. First of all, it will be a shame when they finally get their beverage license approved, because this will take away from people ordering their monster-outstanding fruit-juice drinks such as lemonade with orange, melon with rind, and a melange of fruits. All three were great, and almost certainly more valuable than the upcoming Samuel Adams on tap, but whaddya gonna do?

The patio is welcoming and casual to the point of nonchalance. I got the same duck breast salad as Malawry did, with lardons, big ol' grapes, mixed greens, all served up with house-made focaccia. My friends got a couple of sandwiches (p.s. why don't people get hungry in the desert? because of the sandwiches there). One was mozzarella with radicchio on the same focaccia I had in my salad; and the other was chicken with lemon in a yogurt sauce, wrapped in a flaky, puffy bread that was baked. Everyone enjoyed their lunch, not because of the food, which is merely adequate despite good intentions; no, it's the overall impression of the restaurant, the wonderful fruit drinks, the outdoor seating in beautiful spring weather, the potential to serve beer and wine, the friendly servers that are more worried about a genuine smile than they are being efficient (is that not refreshing?).

This is why I loved my lunch today at Red Dog Café, and this is why I'll enjoy going back, not to mention the Silver Spring Farmers Co-Op next door: an all-organic store with terrific produce, and seemingly containing 80% of the things I go to Whole Foods for. This merits the attention of every serious food lover in the area looking to shop for groceries and caring about how they buy them.

Summary: Red Dog Café will not win accolades for its food, but it will be popular, and I suspect it will be well-reviewed by critics who realize that food isn't everything when it comes to having a great meal. And keep in mind: the food isn't bad at all; furthermore the pizza looked pretty good; not necessarily "fine," but really tasty, enjoyable and good.

Allow me to finish by saying one thing non-controversial: Red Dog Café is an obvious asset to its neighborhood, and even though I live far away from it, I'm really happy that it's there. Does that make sense?

Cheers,

Rocks.

We are quite lucky to have Red Dog in Silver Spring. I don't really think this restaurant would be as noteworthy if it was located downtown. I'm delighted to have something this nice close to home.

Don, the Takoma Park Silver Spring Co-op opened the Grubb Road store a couple of years ago. (I belong to the flagship at the intersection of Ethan Allen and Carroll in downtown Takoma.) The stores are not all-organic but they are a fabulous resource nonetheless, carrying all kinds of treats including Eco Farms greens, Firefly cheeses, and Spring Mill breads. Check out the Takoma store if you haven't been there...their produce selection is better than the Silver Spring one, plus with more floorspace they carry more of everything else too. Until recently only the Silver Spring store carried meat and fish, but now Takoma carries it too (though it's almost exclusively frozen or canned...so I still go to Whole Paycheck sometimes for my fresh meat).

I hadn't heard of this restaurant until I was browsing the forum recently--as a new member, and a longtime resident of SS, I'm glad to see any addition of non-chain creative cooking come to town! Based on what I've read to date...especially reading about a fellow foodie (Malawry) with food allergies... I'm encouraged to try it out!

• 2 weeks later...

Mrs JPW and I stopped by Red Dog again Thursday night early.

Again the food was very good, but the service stinks like ammoniated Reblochan (I don't even know what that smells like , but it's great to say). No more than 5 tables in the place = no excuse. Granted, it was early (just before 6) and people were still setting up, but someone really needs to have an eye on the door at all times. Our waitress seemed terminally confused. After waiting for about 10 minutes for my fresh RedDog Lemonade (with fresh extracted apple juice) I asked her where it was, and she said "Oh, they've been cleaning the extractor, it should only be a few more minutes." Would have been nice to know that before.

A couple of side salads, a margherita pizza for me, and the chicken riphigi (aka open faced pita sammie) for Mrs JPW. With the oven not being overcrowded, the pizza turned out spectacularly. Just the right flavor in the crust, excellent toppings, maybe could have used another few seconds in the oven, but very satisfactory. The chicken was a tiny bit dry, but overall very good for a $9 plate.

The liquor license looks set for next week. I had hoped to ask about the incipent beer and wine lists, but unfortunately we had to get moving before I had a chance to talk to anyone about it.

I really like the food in the place, but the service continues to need some help.

Joe W

I should have read the Todd Kilman article for tips on what to order at Red Dog last night. He mentioned skipping the entrees and pizzas, and that would have been good advice for us since that was exactly what we ordered! I have to agree with DonRocks and JPW that the service is still an issue for this neighborhood spot, with long delays in ordering, drinks, and such. Pleasant people though. Our experience with the food differed greatly from JPW's, and we were sad that the dishes we selected did not show much improvement from our first visit back in March.

Last night we ordered the asparagus soup ($4), the trio of flatbreads ($8), and pizza with basil, ham, and gorgonzola (~$13). The asparagus puree had a few spears of asparagus and a tiny drop of an herb cream in the center, but the puree itself was surprisingly bland. The trio of faltbreads came out as doughy balls with overcooked toppings. Perhaps thinner dough and some sort of sauce tying together the toppings would help. The pizza was the best selection, with fresh and flavorful toppings, though there was an excess of cheese and the dough was quite soft.

We agreed that we really want the Red Dog to do well in the neighborhood, but perhaps for the time being we should count on it as a coffee house instead. Some desserts at the next table over looked well executed, so we might try that next time.

Hey, Mrs. P--I was there last night, too! My esteemed spouse is working on new flooring for our kitchen, so we went out rather than cooking as we normally do on weeknights. This time I had the ribs from the entrees menu, with slaw. The ribs are meaty and tender but not as juicy as I'd hoped they'd be, with a thick ketchupy sauce on them. It's a huge portion. The slaw is very simple, barely more than cabbage and salt. It'd be too minimalist as a foil for most things but against the richly flavored ribs I found it satisfying.