• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Any Nice Places for Tasting/Chef's Menus?

mhberk

I have a friend's wedding coming up and wanted to get him a gift certificate to a restaurant where he can get a tasting menu. I was thinking of something under $100 a person (not including wine) and along the lines of Vidalia, Maestro, etc. Does anyone have any suggestions or experiences that they would like to share with me?

(Sitting for lamb chops)

Lamb: Ple-e-e-se Li-i-i-sa I thought you lo-o-o-oved me, lo-o-o-oved me

Marge: Whats Wrong Lisa? Cant get enough lamb chops?

Lisa: I can't eat this, I can't eat a poor little lamb.

Homer: Lisa get a hold yourself, that is lamb, not A lamb.

In addition to the usual suspects, there are two new places that have opened up in the last few weeks that offer tasting menus - Restaurant Eve in Alexandria and Yannick Cam's new place, Le Paradou - both of which have gotten favorable mentions already on here.

Based on personal experience - maybe my favorite meal last year was at Citronelle. Their tasting menu is $125, but the $85 prix fixe was very nice and included several courses plus a cheese course for a $15 supplement.

Bill Russell

• 3 weeks later...

I had a delicious meal at Ardeo last week. The tasting menu with wine pairings was $54. It started with an amuse of cold english pea soup with caviar. Could have eaten a whole bowl full. The app. was a soft shell crab ontop of tomato bread salad. The crab was expertly fried and it's juices seeped into the bread. Main course was lamb and whipped potatoes. We licked the plate clean. Dessert was an expresso chocolate mouse thing, which was good but I have had better there.

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

tosca on f street: you will not complain.

obelisk on p in dupont: nor there.

palena: surely you jest!?!

there is no love sincerer than the love of food

- george bernard shaw

i feel like love is in the kitchen with a culinary eye, think she's making something special and i'm smart enough to try

- interpol

Bistro Bis in the Hill area has a wonderful chefs menu for about $60. The portions are very generous. The quality great. I am not sure if they will pair it with wine, as we brought our own bottles. :smile:

Paris is a mood...a longing you didn't know you had, until it was answered.

-An American in Paris