• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

TN: 2001 Isabel Sauvignon Blanc

Redwinger

OK, my first post on this site.

2001 Isabel Sauvignon Blanc, Marlborough (NZ)

This Marlborough SB producer is consistently one of my favs from Kiwi-land. It had been awhile since we tried the 2001 and since the first 80 degree weather has visited the heartland, the time seemed right to give it a go while sitting on the deck.

The wine is now a golden color reflecting some sign of its' age. The profile of grapefruit and grass that I recalled in its' younger days is still there, but just in a smaller doses. For the first hour the profile was distinctly melon-ish which I found refreshing. Then suddenly the profile changed to tart green apples with a sour-ish finish that was somewhat annoying to this taster. Still plenty of acidity left, but I'm planning on drinking up my last 2 bottles of this very soon.

Redwinger

"I'm trying to think but nothing happens"

I had an Isabel Sauvignon Blanc a year ago and I believe it was a 2001. We were extremely impressed and I also recall the 'grapefruit' notes with fondness.

Thanks for your tasting notes on this wine. I definately would have considered buying this vintage again but now may be more wary.

Do you or others know if this is surprising or not; ie for a Sauvignon Blanc to change that quickly?

A rough rule of thumb for me has been to drink S. Blancs sooner rather than later, but I'd be interested to hear more from others on this topic as I am a big fan of New Zealand/Marlborough Sauvignon Blancs.

If you have comments on other Isabel S. Blanc vintages that would be great too.

Also, welcome to egullet redwinger! :smile:

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

NZ SB's are not intended to age, yes some people may enjoy a little development, but they are primary fruited wines for the near term.

the grapes for Isabel SB were formerly sold entirely on contract to Cloudy Bay, and once the contract expired these guys went on the own.

I like it's lean, green pea pod profile, rather than some that are a little too ripe for me.

A meal without wine is... well, erm, what is that like?