• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

WTN: 2002 Donnafugata Anthilia

Brad Ballinger

2002 Donnafugata Anthilia, Sicilia. This is a blend of 50% ansonica and 50% catarratto, tank fermented. It has a nose of peach blossoms, citrus blossoms, melons, and a bit of rain fallen on gravel. There's a fairly soft mouthfeel with some acidity, but not a lot. There's an herbal and mineral quality to the flavor profile, which primarily features melon, Meyer lemons, and white stone fruit. The finish is very clean and shows more peach and melon. The mineral in the wine is less steely and more rocky, if that makes any sense. The label indicates that "Donnafugata" means "fleeing woman." More literally, I think it mean fugitive woman. Not that that has anything to do with the wine, though unless drinking it brings to mind the allure of such a woman. I'd love this wine with some soft-shelled crab, but I had it primarily on its own and with Easter leftovers.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero