• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

L'Affriole

Cheeselady

:angry: We were in Paris last week and had made restaurant reservations in advance at several places, one of them being L'Affriole. When we arrived we were told that we couldn't be seated because the restaurant was "complet" for the evening. However, we were shown our name on the seating chart and it was acknowledged that we had made a reservation. We were treated very rudely and were given no reason for not being seated. Has anyone else had a bad experience there?

If you do a search for l'Affriole here, you'll find several negative comments ranging from 2002 to 2004. I think they concern the food more than the service, although I think I remember concerns about both.

Edited by ann (log)

Yes, I was in the area once and made a reservation in person for the next night. When I arrived I was told they did not have a table for me. I guessed this was a case of a single customer being bumped for a full table.

Not surprising. I've already said as much in other posts.

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog

• 2 weeks later...

I ate at L'affriole twice in October and can only say nice things about it. It must have been an off day with the moons aligned wrong.

I even loved the fact that you REALLY had to squeeze into your table. Met quite a few interesting people and one jackass (a Guy from England,) made a rude political remark to my 10 year old daughter, but his partner (French) apologized for him. But even that made the evening interesting.

But back to L'Affriole, I know there are alot of restaurants worth trying in Paris but if you ever run out, give them another chance!

Paris is a mood...a longing you didn't know you had, until it was answered.

-An American in Paris

Met quite a few interesting people and one jackass (a Guy from England,) made a rude political remark to my 10 year old daughter, but his partner (French) apologized for him.

The French seem to get such bad press here and are so often pictured as ill mannered, while the English are more often set on a pedestal in terms of behavior. I have found the French an extremely well mannered people. Unfortunately, their code of public behavior is far too formal and complex to be appreciated by a sort of casual back slapping group of Americans who don't understand the rules. Of course there are paragons of civilized behavior on both sides of the Channel and boors as well. In your case I suppose it was no more than the luck of the draw, but as this is the France forum, we'll take cheer in the fact that it was a Frenchman who was socially conscious.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

I love the French people and honestly lately I kind of like thier politics (but I will save that for another forum). How can any country whose people enjoy life and food and wine as much as they do be all bad? No way!

Paris is a mood...a longing you didn't know you had, until it was answered.

-An American in Paris