• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Brief notes

Florida Jim

1993 Kiona, Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve:

Genuinely ugly juice; heavy with oak and dill, disjointed and a bit hot and any fruit that’s there (and there is some) is completely overwhelmed. Bad wine and getting worse. Airing does not help. No one in our group could drink it.

2001 Falesco, Merlot:

Yummy. Soft, low acid, ripe flavors with not a hint of green and no winemaker theatrics to get in the way. It will never be batter than it is right now. Perfect pizza wine.

2002 Anselmi, San Vincenzo:

A blend of chardonnay and trebbiano di Soave (and maybe more) that shows both grape signatures well. Crisp but round in the mouth, well-flavored with appealing textures, moderate persistence; nothing to shake the earth but thoroughly enjoyable.

2002 Drouhin, Macon-Villages:

For some reason, this wine has appeared in my market in 375’s; a very nice size for my purposes. Better yet, it’s well-made, of its place chardonnay that may have seen wood but you couldn’t prove it by me. Balanced and delicious.

2002 Giacosa, Arneis:

Excellent wine that is bright and lively with medium powerful flavors, clarity and leaves one with an almost rainwater fresh taste in the mouth. A wine that could be a delightful aperitif and just as easily accompany lighter fare, especially seafood. I can not have too much of this in my cellar.

1993 Trimbach, Riesling Cuvee Fredric Emile (magnum):

Sensational! Has smoothed out since last tasting (about 18 months ago) and is now deep and pure with superb balance, some secondary character, excellent complexity and extraordinary length. Opened with a large number of tasters and each raved. A special treat.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com