• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Flor de Caña-Nicaraguan's Brand of Rum

beans

Today, Compañia Licorera de Nicaragua boasts the largest reserve of aged rum in the world, according to a company spokesman, and has embarked on an ambitious campaign to export Flor de Caña to a bigger market worldwide.

The company markets blends of Flor de Caña aged between four and 18 years, along with a lemon-flavored rum and a less expensive rum sold under a different brand name.

"It's the one thing that has gotten out of a very poor country and taken off," said Samuel Fitch, Flor de Caña's area manager for the United States and Canada. "It's one of the few successes the country has had."

The Ledger's article here.

Cheers!

Central America is becoming a hotbed of super premium rum production, with Nicaragua and Guatemala leading the pack in some of the most prized rums in the world (FDC and Ron Zacapa).

I have Flor de Cana's 7 and 12 year old, both are really fine examples of super premium aged rum.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

The 4 & 5 year-olds are on sale here. Their sale prices are usually very reasonable. Recently, 750 ml JW Black was going for less than $20. You just have to order enough bottles so the shipping doesn't eat up your savings. I believe they'll ship just about anywhere. I know they have shipped to NY.

I have no interest in shilling for them.

-- Jeff

"I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members." -- Groucho Marx

• 11 years later...

Interesting article about issues associated with the production of Flor de Caña in Nicaragua, most specifically the impact on the health of sugar cane workers.

Read this on another forum yesterday

Tragic but I'm sure FdC is not the only offender nor is this isolated to rum production except for the cane

Bobby Heugel, who owns Anvil and The Pastry War in Houston, will no longer serve Flor de Caña at his bars. I expect others will follow. It's true that it's almost certain that other spirits producers treat their workers abominably, but we have direct proof in this case.

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

The blame falls on the feet of the government. Atrocities like this flourish under a corrupt government who in this case has much to gain from a flourishing sugar and rum industry. They have done nothing to protect their people from big industry while they profit from the proceeds