• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Frank's Waterside - North Bergen

Susan

The following story was on the New Jersey Monthly site Table Hopping With Rosie 2/18. I thought the food/atmosphere/service were fabulous. Can't wait to go back. Place can get noisy.

You can’t get any closer to the water than at Frank’s Waterside, located on the banks of the Hudson River at 7800 B River Road, North Bergen. The million-dollar view from the dramatic floor to ceiling windows includes panoramic sights of the New York skyline from the George Washington Bridge to the Statue of Liberty. An illuminated waterwall separates the bar/lounge from the main dining room and cherry red leather banquettes, tables with black leather and chrome chairs, and blue ceiling beams all create a dramatic ambiance. During the warm weather, Frank’s Waterside will offer outdoor seating and a pier for boats as well as ferry service from NYC is planned for the future. This establishment is under the direction of executive chef/partner Sam Mickail, formerly of the Highlawn Pavilion. One of the owners is Senator Frank Lautenberg who is the “Frank” in Frank’s Waterside.

Start your dinner with one of the “Retro Cocktails” such as The Hudson Sludge made with frozen Bailey’s, Kahlua, Chambord, and whipped cream or a Garden State Iced Tea produced with Grey Goose, Bacardi, Tanqueray, Herradura tequila, and Cointreau. An extensive choice of wines ranging from $20 to $72 are available with many choices in the $20 to $30 range. A small select list has bottles such as Amarone, Betrani, 1996 for $112.

Some of the appetizers offered on the current menu are: ahi tuna tasting; shellfish sampler; shrimp in a chimichurri sauce; a bucket of clams in a plum tomato and garlic broth; a bucket of mussels in a Chardonnay and sweet garlic sauce; and a classic Caesar salad. Frank’s Waterside specializes in fish which can be prepared grilled, broiled, or blackened with homemade olive oil marinade. Some of the signature dishes include swordfish steak “au poivre” with a cognac cream sauce; jumbo lump crab cakes with house slaw and basil aioli; and tilapia fish and chips with Frank’s fries and tartar sauce. Landlubbers can opt for the custom cut prime sirloin steaks charbroiled with compound butter or the garlic roasted Amish chicken with a fresh thyme sauce. Most entrees range in price from $14 to $22 with the steak costing from $24 for 12 ounces to $40 for 20 ounces. Sides such as lobster mashed potatoes, sauteed spinach, Frank’s fries, and sweet potato chips are also available. Of course you shouldn’t miss dessert especially the very light mascarpone cheesecake, lemon mousse served in a martini glass and topped with meringue, or the warm chocolate truffle torte.

Frank’s Waterside is open Tuesday through Thursday and Sunday from 5 to 10 PM and Friday and Saturday 5 to 11 PM. They will be opening for lunch in the early spring. A banquet room is available for corporate and private events. For information or reservations call 201-861-0700.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

• 1 month later...

oh dear. what a mediocre place. great view, though.

i've been wanting to get here since i first heard of it. after canceling 3 reservations, i finally got there last night. quite a disappointment.

we had the assorted shellfish for 2. oysters were served too warm for my taste. one was sans liquor, and liquor is my favorite thing. :hmmm: the shrimp were not as large and crisp as i might expect from a high-end place. they were a bit flaccid. the prawn tail, or whatever it was, was obviously frozen and tasted the same. i should have known going in. the lump crabmeat served in the martini glass (with the shrimp served on it) was quite good. the cocktail sauce was pretty good, with grated fresh horseradish. a nice touch. for 14 pp, i guess i shouldn't have expected much.

i had no choice but to compare the ahi tuna tasting to a similar offering a chakra. chakra wins hands down. the seared tuna was great. aggressively peppered. the tuna tartare didn't have much flavor and didn't seem all that fresh. i expect sushimi quality tuna in a completely raw dish, and i'm not convinced this was it. the small "roll" was pretty horrible. the rice was all mushed and packed too tightly, and there was no way of eating it as it was too big. after digging out the piece of tuna i realized that i just didn't care anymore.

seared dry scallops were excellent. as good a scallop dish as i've ever had. a rich dish for sure, as there was obviously a compontent of butter in the sauce. really super though.

the last course was the softshell crabs special. they came out with creamy guac and seaweed salad of all things. i really don't think the guac and the seaweed salad had any business being on the same plate, least of all if they were mixing together. the soft shell crabs were battered in what seemed to be pancake mix...with syrup. the batter was so sweet that it almost rendered the crabs inedible. i likened the batter to a beignet. beignets are good, but on on softshell crabs.

service was friendly, fun, and laid-back.

with a bottle of wine this meal was about 130 before tip.

i don't see myself returning, although it might be nice for drinks and a snack if you're not too concerned with eating well.

Were they busy?

not particularly. this was early, about 7 o'clock. i suppose when i left at 8.15 or so the place was going pretty well.

the outdoor patio will no doubt be a big draw. especially if they get a bar set up out there. i could see myself spending a few hours out there for sure. there are few better views of NYC (although this is a bit uptown).

This place annoys me. I've never eaten here and I'm sure the view is great but I find it a bit sarcastic when a Senator, such as Mr Lautenberg, before voted out of the senate and then brought back with the help of Gov. McGreedey and with the good fortune of having Sen. Toricelli screw up his easy re-election fronts a restaurant at about the same time of re-entering the race at maximum newspaper coverage.

Sen. Lautenberg ahas never been a friend of the restaurant business and while in the senate passed legislature on a regular basis to stifle the Mom & Pop stores such as mine and grant breaks to major food companies that have pad his re-election coffures, which he can use in office.

I don't want to be found of making slanderous coments and am only expressing a opinion from a business prospective. Does make you wonder...........

Still gotta perform in the kitchen though...... right Tommy.

A

Edited by Lreda (log)

• 1 month later...

frank's manages to pull in a "very good" from david c. in tomorrow's NYT. this is probably the most i've ever disagreed with his assessment. i wasn't even sure the actual review read like a "very good", but that discussion is being beaten around elsewhere.