• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bandols

redwinegulper

I recently did a wine tasting of Bandols, the meaty red wine from Southern France. I do not see Bandols talked about often, but I really enjoyed them. Domaine Tempier 2000 was my favorite, huge but smooth as velvet. Second was Ch Pradeaux 1998. Third was DOmaine Gros Nore 2000.

Anybody like Bandols, and what was your experience with them?

Ed

Ed McAniff

A Taster's Journey

I'm going to be at an annual pilgrimage of wine geeks in Toledo at the end of February. Bandol is one of the themes. So I'll report on some after that time.

Like you, I like Tempier (who also makes a Bandol Rose and Bandol Blanc by the way -- both very good). I really prefer the red wine with hearty aromatic dishes.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

Tempier Red and Rose were my absolute favorite wines back in the 80's and early 90's. It was Kermit Lynch's book Adventures on the Wine Roads that got me started. The wines are just too expensive though for what they are. I also found the vintage from the mid 90's were trying to be too serious.

David Cooper

"I'm no friggin genius". Rob Dibble

http://www.starlinebyirion.com/

The tempiers are obviously very good, look for the Migoua single vineyard, it's more perfumed and aromatic, than the Tourtine. The cabassou is pure mouvedre, and is like yeast extract! pure concentration - these live for ever.

Lafron Veyrolle also make a fine wine, look for the 'longue garde' - again pure mourvedre.

Gros Nore is one of my favourites, very new style wine making, and new estate - first vintage was 1998, and they won the award that the annual bandol wine show with the 1999.

Pradeaux is horribly over oaked, generally I think it bad wine.

Domaine Begude make a lovely elegant style, from the highest part of the commune, easy, realy drinker.

Tardieu Laurent make some good Bandol on occasion also.

A meal without wine is... well, erm, what is that like?