• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chateau d'Ampuis 1995 & 1997

Andre

Just in case you are in a bad mood, here is a couple of remedies:

CÔTE-RÔTIE "Château d 'Ampuis"

One of the flag ships of Guigal grapes taken from very old vines from six different vineyards:

La Garde “Côte Blonde "

Le Clos ‘Côte Blonde "

La Grande Plantée " Côte Blonde "

La Pommière " Côte Brune "

Le Pavillon Rouge " Côte Brune "

Le Moulin " Côte Brune "

Wines are agred apx. 36 months in oak. The 1995 is 100% Syrah while the 97 might contain a very small percentage of viognier.

Chateau d’Ampuis Cote-Rotie, E.Guigal 1995

Deep red, moving from very dark to brick red towards the rim.

Takes several minutes to open up in the glass revealing a massive nose of dark red fruits, herbs, cedar wood and a mildly peppery finish.

The mouth reveals plenty of soft chewy tannins, balanced acidity with a subtle pepper and allspice finish. The wine develops in the mouth to reveal dried fruits, tobacco, ,cedar wood, dark chocolate with a long smooth spicy finish.

This mouth filling wine does not need any food and the tasting proceeded until the bottle was over. Thrilling but at its peak – no further cellaring recommended although the producer recommends 20 years. Tasted February 13th, 2004.

Chateau d’Ampuis, Cote-Rotie. E.Guigal 1997.

Dark intense deep color towards a lighter red at the rim.

The wine started to open up after 5-6 minutes in the Bordeaux glass. An extremely appealing perfectly balanced nose shifting from fresh raspberries and blueberries to toasted wood, grilled sausages and some cat wee-wee.

In the mouth the wine was smooth, chewy and full-bodied with an exciting balance between the tannins, flavors and acidity. Full bodied and extremely appealing.

20 minute later the nose projected concentrated red berry syrup, sweet molasses, dried apricots and prunes with well situated and perfectly balanced oak in the back. At this stage the nose resembled a top quality hot climate ripe cabernet Sauvignon. The oake and spiciness became more dominant in the mouth and sweet berries complimented this breath -taking picture.

The wine continued to evolve for as long as the bottle was enjoyed.

One of the best full-bodied Cote-du-Rhones to be enjoyed now. Drink now – 2007.

Andre Suidan

I was taught to finish what I order.

Life taught me to order what I enjoy.

The art of living taught me to take my time and enjoy.