• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Café Mille Luci, Ridgewood

menton1

This authentic European café has beenat this spot for over 25 years, and predates the coffee culture of Starbucks and the like. They always had Segafredo Italian coffee for the espresso, home made cannolis, great Italian pastry, and a terrific European atmosphere. Sadly, when I passed by the other day it was closed and empty inside. The only gripe I ever had about this place was it had an Italian name but used the French spelling of "Café". (In Italy, it's spelled'"Caffé".)

Does anyone have more details as to whether the closing is permanent? Is this the end of an era?

are you sure "cafe" isn't used in italy?  referring to the place, rather than the coffee.

There is no word in Italian spelled "Cafe"

There is a word spelled "Caffe"

There are scores and scores of little places called "Caffé _____" on their awnings and windows ubiquitous throughout Italy.

Caffé Florian, Venezia

Caffé Rivoire, Firenze

Caffé Greco, Roma

and so forth....

Edited by menton1 (log)

you'd better get on the phone and tell this place.

I don't know what you are trying to prove-- there still is no word in Italian spelled "Cafe". You might check with someone who is from Italy or an Italian dictionary.

By the way, this place you have a link for also spells the word "Restaurant" which is also not an Italian word-- (Ristorante) !! They are probably using English spellings to appeal to tourists.

Edited by menton1 (log)

Ever been in this cafffee?  Is it closed forever?

i'm assuming this is the place on south maple right off of Ridgewood ave? if so, i wish you had posted about it *before* it closed, as i've been curious. :angry::biggrin:

That's it--

You had 25 years to try it, though....

Ever been in this cafffee?  Is it closed forever?

i'm assuming this is the place on south maple right off of Ridgewood ave? if so, i wish you had posted about it *before* it closed, as i've been curious. :angry::biggrin:

That's it--

You had 25 years to try it, though....

although i was hardly interested in italian treats at 10.