• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Who Has the Best Sushi in the DC Area?

tobism

Name the best place to have Japanese food or sushi in the Metro DC area, then tell us why it's your favorite.

A great place I've been to recently is Arigato Sushi in Fairfax. Moderately priced, but some of the freshest, tastiest sushi I've ever had! The decor is tasteful, but nothing to write home about. Service is decent, sushi chefs are awesome for a neighborhood sushi restaurant. My other favorites are Tako Grill and Matuba and Bethesda.

In my opinion, the best sushi is at Kanpai in Rosslyn, which is affiliated with Bonsai in Shirlington. Very fresh fish, and freshly grated wasabi, which is vastly superior to the reconstituted green paste that most places use.

Also I like Kaz Sushi Bistro, but I don't like the uni at Kaz because it doesn't taste fresh enough. The uni at Bonsai and Kanpai, by contrast, is delicious.

Murasaki on Wisconsin near Tenley metro is okay in a pinch, but not very authentic. The nigiri sushi is super-sized, which I guess appeals to American appetites, but is really unwieldy.

Aji Nippon in Bethesda. (Across the street from Bruce's Variety)

It makes Tako look like McD's. The fish is always very fresh and they have hard dishes to find like Ikura Oroshi (Salmon roe and radish). I have dined there many times when I was the only nonJapanese person there. It's decoration reminds me of Sushi Ko before the renovation.

This is my ultimate sushi place.

Kaz would be first, but due to location and price I rarely get there.

For takeout I go to Hinata in Bethesda on St. Elmo's.

Edited by hillvalley (log)

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

Sushi Ko on Wisconsin Ave, next door to Good Guys, is reputed to have the best sushi in the area.

must. keep. joke. to. self.

:laugh:

Ho My!

That's hilarious!!

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

Kaz. Have anything that has foie gras on it, in it, or beside it.

Can't wait until summer for gazpacho with tuna sashimi.

Firefly Restaurant

Washington, DC

Not the body of a man from earth, not the face of the one you love

Kaz would be first, but due to location and price I rarely get there

My sentiments exactly.

Sushi-Ko is pretty good, too. I haven't been to Sushi Taro in years.

The place I've eaten at most frequently is Yuraku in Germantown. Not the best fish, but definitely adequate. Plus, I had a piece of cooked salmon cheek that was probably one of the tastiest things I ate in 2003.

I used to like Matuba in Bethesda when I lived around there. How's that place these days? When I visited, sushi there was always great.

The prices are good, especially at lunch...

Also a big fan of the sushi at Spices, even though that's not really a Japanese place. Kaz and Sushi-Ko in order for high praise, but they can get a little expensive

(if that matters).

Re: Good Guys vs. Sushi

By that rationale, shouldn't there be a good sushi place next to Camelot (I mean, Cumalot) a lot on M Street? :huh:

Sushi Ko on Wisconsin Ave, next door to Good Guys, is reputed to have the best sushi in the area.

Between this and the Royal Palace sub-thread in the "New Spots" thread, this forum is getting a whole lot more interesting.

:raz:

I really like the Tako Grill in Bethesda-particularly for the warm salmon roll and the sake list.

I prefer Sushi Taro on P & 17th for atmosphere.

Neither of these places is near a skin joint, however

Creative minds have always been known to survive any kind of bad training.

Anna Freud

Does anyone have recommendations for places that offer particularly good vegetarian sushi? I miss the many offerings in Berkeley and SF, where I lived before here, but I'm hoping I've just been looking in the wrong places.

"went together easy, but I did not like the taste of the bacon and orange tang together"

I second the Makoto recommendation. It's more well-known for its kaiseki menu, but the quality of their fish is really top notch--the best I've had in DC.

For vegetarian sushi, I think Kaz has the best selection that I've seen here. It also doesn't hurt to sit at the bar and ask for things that aren't on the menu (like natto--most places have it, but don't advertise it).

YAMAZATO

6303 Little River Tnpk., Alexandria, VA 22312

Phone: 703-914-8877Phone: 703-914-8877

(395 S from DC, take exit 3b, turn left at the first traffic light, right into a building office complex, park on the left-hand side of the lot)

Try the "fresh" specials written on the whiteboard. The chef is creative but does not, imho, go overboard. Sushi and sashimi are good. The other items are okay, but I would not make a special point of going there for tempura etc. The lunch special (11am-3pm?) is good value for sushi/sashimi meals (I don't think the ala carte prices are lower).

I agree that Kaz Sushi had the best listing of veggie sushi in the area. The menu lists them, but the web site shows: Japanese Egg Plant, Grilled Portobello Mushroom, Asparagus and Roasted Bell Pepper Roll, and Sun-Dried Tomato and Portobello Mushroom Roll. Ask to have the menu faxed to you (as it offers to do).

But the best thing to do is to sit at any sushi bar and ask for things not on the menu and specify that the sushi can only contain vegetables. If the guy cannot respond with stuff you like, move on to the next restaurant. You shouldn't feel embarassed to stop the "experiment" early if the first one or two orders aren't satisfactory. It's inexpensive because you won't have spent more than a few dollars for two orders ala carte (order miso soup and a seaweed salad before finishing if you don't want to appear to be rejecting the veggie choices s/he has been offering). A good chef should be able to respond. But note that if you find someone you like, other people in the same restaurant or the guy/gal who covers on days off will probably not be able to satisfy your needs because you are not ordering from the menu.

In the past, I used to ask for sweet shrimp at the sushi bar (even if not listed on the menu) when it was not served in most places. So I found the restaurants that took the trouble to stock it. Many would promise that it was available "sometimes" but I quickly would find the places in a new city that actually served ama ebi.

I don't order vegetarian dishes :rolleyes: so I don't have any other specific recommendations, but I assume you wouldn't be satisfied with sushi made entirely from raw vegetables. Therefore the chef needs to be ready to cook them on the spot (look for restaurants that offer lots of grilled vegetables like the robatayaki at Tako Grill) or have them pickled (tsukemono sushi?). I predict that places that you will be returning to will have already put some thought into how to accomodate your desires before you first dine there.

Between this and the Royal Palace sub-thread in the "New Spots" thread, this forum is getting a whole lot more interesting.

:raz:

I wonder why Good Guys gets all the pub. Across the street, near Austin Grill, is JP's. No one ever mentions it...

Has anyone been to the new sushi place across from Two Amy's? I think it's called Sushi Sushi.

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

I wonder why Good Guys gets all the pub.  Across the street, near Austin Grill, is JP's.  No one ever mentions it...

Good Guys is the more famous. Lots of bachelor parties there, lots of diplomatic plates. Good Guys also is on a more convenient side of the street. And how do you know?

Edited by mnebergall (log)