• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

This and that

Florida Jim

1987 Chat. Montelena, Cabernet Sauvignon:

Not showing well; some chemical overlay on the nose which did not blow off and was distracting; fairly nice on the palate albeit still a little tannic; dry finish. I have had better bottles but frankly, never one that has lived up to its reputation. Price unknown.

2000 Dom. de la Petite Cassagne, Costieres de Nimes:

A delicious Rhone style wine with old world flavors and smells, some complexity and nice balance. Drinking well now and at $9, this is a buy by the case item. Good with and without food.

2001 Dom. Montaude, Minervois:

I think this one is starting to close up. The last two bottles have been more about structure than the first bottles I opened. Also, those last two bottles showed better the second day (re-corked and left on the counter overnight). Still a tasty wine but better with food. ‘Time to put these in the cellar and come back in a year. About $8, discounted.

1993 Vincent Arroyo, Cabernet Sauvignon Res.:

I am not a fan of Cabernet Sauvignon much less those from CA but this is the exception. A warm blackberry, black currant, blueberry mix is accented with light strawberry, dark unsweetened chocolate, a touch of allspice and very light earth tones on both the nose and palate. Excellent concentration, fine tannins, good structure, balance and a medium length finish are all well knit together yet layered. There is even some bottle bouquet and secondary development. At $25 on release, delivered, a delicious wine with or without food that has many years left.

Enjoyed with turkey meat loaf and cauliflower puree with truffle oil – excellent.

2001 Zenato, Lugana “San Benedetto”:

A lovely wine. A nose of apples and a slight grassiness leads to rich, deep flavors in a concentrated, viscous texture. Nice backing acidity that never comes to the foreground and a round, soft mouth-feel that never turns flabby. Quite a mouthful and nice length to boot. Trebbiano di Soave really is different from trebbiano toscano. Good with or without food.

About $10, discounted.

1990 Dom. Pichot, Vouvray Moelleux:

A watery version of a demi-sec showing none of its age and little else to get excited about. Quaffable but just.

About $20, close-out.

2001 Belle Pente, Riesling:

Flowers, apples and minerals on the nose, with clear domestic Riesling flavors on the palate and a malic bite. The 2000 was more my preference with better balance and depth but this was still miles ahead of the aforementioned Vouvray with Indian food.

About $15, delivered.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com