• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sign in to follow this  
inventolux

Moto Restaurant - Chicago

Say more, Homaro. What exactly are you trying to accomplish? And how do you address critics who see this as merely a prank?

Check out www.disruptivefood.com now. Is this starting to sink in now? It all just makes a little too much sense. I patent only to give those patents away to those in need, those that live outside the walls of the digital age and those that have no idea what its like to go to bed with a full stomach. I will keep these two videos up for 2 days and upload more as we get closer to the launch date.

Enjoy the show!

Edited by inventolux (log)

Future Food - our new television show airing 3/30 @ 9pm cst:

http://planetgreen.discovery.com/tv/future-food/

Hope you enjoy the show! Homaro Cantu

Chef/Owner of Moto Restaurant

www.motorestaurant.com

Well it was kinda annoying that the interviewer decided to interrupt while you were explaining exactly what you have in mind to jump to talking about your show (or was that intentional editing) but I get the general idea of what you're up to. Cool stuff Chef.

Chris: Personally, I'm hoping his feeling on what the critics think of it is the same as the feel I get for his opinion on what critics may think about what he does at his restaurant. I may have it all wrong but a great deal of what I respect about Chef Cantu is that his restaurant seems to be a big middle finger to the critics. He's showing the world that the use of so-called "gimmicks" does not preclude good food if you do it right. He's not jumping on the bandwagon of chefs that once embraced the idea and now proclaim against it just because some critics decided it wasn't cool anymore. If that's not the case, I'm not sure I want to know because that image has been hugely inspirational to me. I'll never be at his level but I'd like to think that, if I was, I would do what I love to do the way I love to do it and the critics could take a leap.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Well it was kinda annoying that the interviewer decided to interrupt while you were explaining exactly what you have in mind to jump to talking about your show (or was that intentional editing) but I get the general idea of what you're up to. Cool stuff Chef.

Chris: Personally, I'm hoping his feeling on what the critics think of it is the same as the feel I get for his opinion on what critics may think about what he does at his restaurant. I may have it all wrong but a great deal of what I respect about Chef Cantu is that his restaurant seems to be a big middle finger to the critics. He's showing the world that the use of so-called "gimmicks" does not preclude good food if you do it right. He's not jumping on the bandwagon of chefs that once embraced the idea and now proclaim against it just because some critics decided it wasn't cool anymore. If that's not the case, I'm not sure I want to know because that image has been hugely inspirational to me. I'll never be at his level but I'd like to think that, if I was, I would do what I love to do the way I love to do it and the critics could take a leap.

Well,

you are on the right track here but the purpose is not give the media the middle finger. It's to create an overwhelmingly positive case for experimental food. Ask yourself this question: The way we cook, is it sustainable in 50, 75 or 150 years from now? Absolutely not. Radical shifts in what we define as sustainable will have to happen if we are to pass on the torch to our great grandchildren. The news clip on Disruptive Food is just the beginning. The ripple effects will be the true test. Think of this as the Freakonomics of food. We certainly have enjoyed the support of egulleters and the media over the years but now its time to ratchet things up to the next level. Many will question and criticize, that is more than welcome and always encouraged. But I will stand by my earlier posts. My technology will speak for itsself.

Cheers,

HC

www.disruptivefood.com

www.motorestaurant.com

Yeah, I should have worded that better. I don't really mean a literal middle finger as in being intentionally rude. What I'm picturing is more of a "this is what I'm doing and you don't have to like it but I'm still going to do it" type of thing. I'm also not thinking of the media in general or those who have questions or even skepticism, I'm thinking more of those who are instantly negative and attacking just to avoid being positive. I realize with the project you are working on a little more diplomacy is required... but we all know it's very possible to politely tell someone to kiss your arse. Anyway, looking forward to seeing more of what you're up to.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Yeah, I should have worded that better. I don't really mean a literal middle finger as in being intentionally rude. What I'm picturing is more of a "this is what I'm doing and you don't have to like it but I'm still going to do it" type of thing. I'm also not thinking of the media in general or those who have questions or even skepticism, I'm thinking more of those who are instantly negative and attacking just to avoid being positive. I realize with the project you are working on a little more diplomacy is required... but we all know it's very possible to politely tell someone to kiss your arse. Anyway, looking forward to seeing more of what you're up to.

Agreed. Sort of like this:

Kinda makes your stomach turn after you watch the entire video. This time around, they wont be banning this form of MF.

HC

www.motorestaurant.com

Now I am not a politician, but this next video clearly shows how the "powers that were" squashed it from the view of the american public to replace it with Aspartame. Gotta love that smack upside the head.

I have been researching and developing this new application for the glycoprotein miraculin for over 3 years.

Side note - some very exciting news coming in this thread in the very near future. Moto 3.0 is about to be unleashed.

www.disruptivefood.com

www.motorestaurant.com

(snip) Ask yourself this question: The way we cook, is it sustainable in 50, 75 or 150 years from now? Absolutely not. Radical shifts in what we define as sustainable will have to happen if we are to pass on the torch to our great grandchildren. (snip) Think of this as the Freakonomics of food. (snip). Many will question and criticize, that is more than welcome and always encouraged. But I will stand by my earlier posts. My technology will speak for itsself.

Cheers,

HC

www.disruptivefood.com

Oh man ... I can't help but think of .... SOLENT GREEN! :biggrin:

(snip) Ask yourself this question: The way we cook, is it sustainable in 50, 75 or 150 years from now? Absolutely not. Radical shifts in what we define as sustainable will have to happen if we are to pass on the torch to our great grandchildren. (snip) Think of this as the Freakonomics of food. (snip). Many will question and criticize, that is more than welcome and always encouraged. But I will stand by my earlier posts. My technology will speak for itsself.

Cheers,

HC

www.disruptivefood.com

Welcome to Moto 3.0. Check it out now on www.disruptivefood.com

Going green has never been this fun.

www.motorestaurant.com

Cheers,

HC

www.disruptivefood.com

Welcome to Moto 3.0. Check it out now on www.disruptivefood.com

Going green has never been this fun.

Todays Disruptive Food page is dedicated to all of my fellow egulleters that have supported Moto over the years. Thank you and enjoy the show. click click click tap tap tap!

www.disruptivefood.com

www.motorestaurant.com

Check us out Live every Tuesday at 9/8 central on Ustream.tv - 1 hour before the airing of Future Food we will be doing live streaming demos demolition and deliciousness:)

Here is the link:

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/future-food

Also Check out this video, some of these ideas may make in the show...

Edited by inventolux (log)

www.motorestaurant.com

Sorry if this is answered elsewhere, but I'm planning on hitting up Moto in a few weeks and I made an 8:30 res - would that be enough time to do the GTM, or do I need to bump up my res time...?

foodpr0n.com 11/01/17: A map of macarons in Toronto // For free or for a fee - bring your bottle! corkagetoronto.com

I'm dining at Moto on Friday, but am stretching the budget a bit to do it. Anyone have any opinions on the relative merits of the longer tasting menu versus the shorter with wine pairing?

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Last night my wife and I enjoyed the Grand Tasting Menu (20 courses in four hours) at Moto: we skipped the wine pairing so as to remain conscious and sorta-kinda on-budget. Overall the meal was very successful, both flavorwise and just from an enjoyability standpoint. The previous evening we dined at TRU, and while that was good, we both felt that Moto was clearly better.

I won't give a play-by-play of the meal since many of the best parts were surprises and I don't want to spoil them, but a few highlights were the "Chicken Noodle Soup" (noodles were made from chicken powder, with a chicken skin chip, more chicken powder on the side, and some kind of very chicken-y sauce underneath: basically pure concentrated essence of chicken-ness), a piece of Capon that was served in a very surprising and delicious way, and a cuban pork sandwich in the form of a cigar (as in, it really, really looked like a smoldering cigar, complete with ash). All told there was only a single dish of the twenty that I didn't care for (an Earl Grey ice cream-based dessert thing that felt disjointed to me), about a half dozen dishes that were just "good", and the rest ranged from "very good" to "wow!"

I should note of course that Moto is clearly not for everyone. When we first sat down there was a couple next to us who clearly hated the place: the woman criticized everything from the food to the silverware, they hated the noise level (it is quite loud in there), and they left in disgust after completing only half of the tasting menu. I thought that was crazy, but to each their own, I guess.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

I should note of course that Moto is clearly not for everyone. When we first sat down there was a couple next to us who clearly hated the place: the woman criticized everything from the food to the silverware, they hated the noise level (it is quite loud in there), and they left in disgust after completing only half of the tasting menu. I thought that was crazy, but to each their own, I guess.

Some people have very specific preferences in regard to their restaurant experience... and some like to pretend they do for the benefit of everybody else in the place. Could have been either type but I tend to find that the more loud squawking and complaining they do, the more likely it is that they're from the second group.

I've finally written up my thoughts on Moto from, what the hell, it's been over a month already. Enjoy.

Fresh off the plane from New York, after recording a mere few hours’ sleep the night before due to (still persistent) difficulties in adjusting to the Australian-American time change, and with a groggy afternoon nap under my belt, I headed into a rather derelict looking industrial sector of Chicago in search of Moto, a restaurant that I had been looking forward to experiencing for some time.

After again arriving quite early due mostly to my paranoia about being late, I wandered around the area for about ten minutes, only to find the new Grant Achatz outpost next door. Finally, 6.15 arrives, and I think to myself that 15 minutes early is getting within the bounds of my own self-respect, so I enter.

I was surprised to learn that instead of the 2 tasting menu choices of 10 and 20 courses, there was now only one, at 15 courses, available. I won’t lie and say that I wasn’t a little disappointed, I had been looking forward to the 20 course since I booked my table, but nevertheless, 15 was a very reasonable compromise.

The first course of the much discussed edible menu, posing as a maki roll, is undoubtedly an interesting concept. However it was one of a few courses over the night that I felt was more form than function, as the flavours were quite understated. Undoubtedly, it would have scored more points with me if I hadn’t expected an edible menu of some sort, but sadly, with the prevalence of discussion boards and blogs, the element of surprise is somewhat muted if you’re part of the online food community.

“Snowman sashimi” is probably my least favourite of the savoury courses. Quite complex in flavour, it just doesn’t seem to harmonise as well as I would expect, and though the sea urchin was delicious the addition of a (yuzu I think?) ‘snowman’ seemed a little too gimmicky for my money.

Essentially a deconstructed vichyssoise, the next course is far more flavourful, packed with contrasting textures and harmonised flavours. Perfectly cooked scallop and olive oil poached fish (halibut from memory) serve as great accents to the potato in both puree and crispy form and, well, there would have to be exceptional circumstances involved before I could ever believe that the humble leek taking a major part in a dish is a bad thing.

“Italian Biosphere” is the next course to arrive; a giant glass sphere filled with smoke, with baby red pepper and cherry tomato, served as part of a dish that is quite possibly the most fun course I’ve ever had the pleasure to eat. A small glass bowl with a pungently aromatic truffle and bread puree sitting upon a miniature spade (intended as a spoon) with toasted breadcrumbs, mushrooms and a few other goodies, along with a miniature rake to fully complete the image of the gardener who’s lost the plot, and is now eating his garden using the tools of his trade. The smoke gently vacating the sphere adds another layer of complexity to the savoury forest flavours of the dish.

Not being American, I didn’t have any nostalgic connection to the course of “Crab and Grits”, so the intended flavour familiarity of the dish was lost on me. Taste wise though, the dish was one of the highlights; a rich, slightly spicy bisque poured tableside over sweet crawfish tails that almost melted on the palate.

“Kentucky Fried Pasta” consisted of chicken that had been freeze dried and turned into tagliatelle, with a rich and very savoury red wine sauce, which then had Australian winter truffles generously microplaned over the top by chef Cantu tableside as he explained the course. This was served with the (in?)famous ‘herb spoon’, which contained thyme, as according to Cantu “Thyme is one of the main herbs that is present in KFC”. The pasta itself has great texture, although there was no more than a ghost-like whisper of chicken flavour. It is a very nice dish even if I couldn’t possibly see how this could be compared in any way to KFC, other than the fact that the dish featured chicken, albeit in a very unfamiliar form. In the first service misstep, the wine for this course only arrived as I was almost finished, with an uneasy, slightly red-faced apology from the waiter.

It was to my great amusement that ten minutes earlier at the adjacent table, I had watched on as the waiter poured the entire contents of the candle that had been on the table over the course they’d just received. The ‘victims’ of this prank, a 30-something couple, almost had their eyes pop out of their head, and looked at the waiter as if he’d gone just a little nuts. The liquid in question was actually sage oil, and was part of a dish known as ‘Cornbread and Capon’. Smoked shredded confit leg and perfectly cooked breast sat atop a cornbread puree, and finely grated bacon added another dimension to the smoky leg meat, and although I thought it would be quite oily, it wasn’t in the slightest, and there was a very slight undercurrent of the herbal sage that played well off the main components.

Cuban cigars three ways are essentially very fancy sandwiches, served in an ash tray with sesame nitrogen ash. There is a riff on Philly cheesesteak, another involving Iberico ham, and one other with contents I cannot recall clearly. With an ultra-realistic look, and extraordinary flavours, this was both delicious and a little disconcerting. The combination of the visual aspect and the flavour combination made this one of the high points.

Roasted, dried, powdered, foamed, re-formed and re-roasted mushrooms come along with pork belly braised in Vietnamese dressing, seared foie gras, sautéed cabbage, mushroom cream, crispy trumpet mushrooms and a Vietnamese caramel. While this would probably be the most complex of the courses so far, the individual elements combined well, with a great balance of flavour and texture. I didn’t quite get the point of the reconstructed mushrooms however; although they looked great sticking up in a line on the plate, they lacked the deep intensity of flavour that would have been present when they were originally roasted. Maybe that was the point, to cut back on the richness a bit.

A palate cleanser to lead in to the desserts; a champagne strawberry soda served in a beaker of sorts, with a nitro poached packing peanut serves its purpose well, leaving the palate refreshed with the balance of sweetness and acidity. The packing peanut didn’t do too much for me though.

Simply called ‘eggs’, the first of the dessert courses contains a spherified mango ‘yolk’ along with Kaffir lime tea. While it was tasty enough, it didn’t live up to any of the previous highs of the meal thus far, which was a bit of a surprise given Ben Roche’s obvious talent, and unfortunately it seemed to be a recurring theme throughout the dessert courses.

‘Pitaya, Longan and Rose’ was another one of those moments. The sweetness and all round flavour of the fruits was nice, but the rosewater meringue really overpowered things, and I was left feeling as though I’d eaten a bag of pot pourri. I’ve never cared for the way rose flavour lingers on the palate for so long; in most cases it just overtakes the other elements, as it did here.

The final full sized dessert course was “Tea time”, and contained several riffs on Earl Grey tea, balanced by chocolate with fresh black and raspberries. Again, it was nice enough, but I just expected something a little different than a dessert that could just as easily have been found in any modern Michelin star restaurant. Maybe it’s my expectations that were a little out of proportion, but since Moto desires to shock and/or stimulate, I expected something that, if not confronting, was at least a little more unusual.

The final bite, known as the “ACME Bomb”, was placed on the table as I watched the fuse burn away. I was half expecting to have to duck for cover as the fuse neared its end, or else be covered in chocolate from the ensuing explosion. It did not explode however, not on the table anyway. Once placed on the tongue and chewed however, the liquid centre (of guava?) did indeed flood the mouth. It was quite a nice end to a thoroughly enjoyable meal, but like a few of the dishes, it seemed to be more about showmanship than anything else.

Service was quite attentive and informative, despite a misstep here and there, and was at times a little on the cheeky side, which I love in this sort of environment. It was also nice to note that, from listening to the descriptions of dishes on other tables as well as my own, that no two descriptions were ever word for word the same, and the explanations seemed to be tailored to the perceived level of interest from the diner.

Wine matches were well thought out, and the pours generous, if occasionally forgotten. I did find it a little perplexing that there was no sparkling water option; and the still water had a strong earthy taste, almost like it was straight from the tap. In a restaurant of this calibre, I found it a little strange, but perhaps that’s more of a reflection of growing up on rainwater, and having a general disdain for the taste of tap water.

In any case, the meal was very enjoyable, although I felt at times the technique took precedence at the expense of taste, whereas at Alinea, the techniques were less obviously showcased, and flavour seemed to take the centre stage more often. I would not hesitate to return though, because at its best, it was stunning.

James.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Porthos
      I picked up enough boneless short ribs to make 3 meals for my Sweetie and me. One meal will be pan-braised tonight. One has been vacuum-sealed and is in the freezer. My question is about seasoning, sealing, freezing, then defrosting and cooking at a later date. I'd like to season and seal the 3rd meal's worth. Can I use a dry rub on the meat, then seal, freeze, and cook at a later date? Does anyone else do this?
    • By newchef
      So I've now found myself at the water's edge of Modernist Cuisine.  Specifically, using sodium citrate for emulsifying all kinds of cheeses.  What I'm after is making an emulsified Parmesan sauce as well as another emulsified cheese sauce (most likely using Cheddar or Colby) that I can freeze and use later.  I'm a single guy and am no stranger of tweaking recipes for freezing but I haven't done it for modernist stuff yet.  I'd love to make a big batch of cheese sauce, freeze it into ice cubes for up to 3 months or so, and then take a few cubes out to thaw on a weeknight and toss with pasta, drizzle over veggies, etc.

I looked at the modernist cuisine FAQ and saw this specific post about the cheese sauce that is "probably" freeze-able because it uses something called carageenan.  Has anyone been able to freeze sauce and keep it frozen for, say, a few months?  And not have to use carageenan?

Thanks!
    • By WackGet
      Recently I picked up a few different types of emulsifiers in bulk powder form when I saw them in passing at a catering wholesaler.

Having never used powdered emulsifiers before in cooking or baking, I figured I'd find pretty comprehensive instructions for their use on the web - but I can't.

I'm not a stranger to food science but nor am I a chemist. I understand that emulsifiers are at least sometimes prepared by pre-mixing them into a (heated?) liquid or fat and then using the resulting solution in the actual recipe, which may explain why a lot of commercial emulsifier mixtures are packages as tubes of gel or paste. I've also checked several industry-level textbooks about emulsifiers and while they are fantastic for in-depth explanations of the chemistry behind each emulsifier, they do not (as you might imagine) provide guidance on how a lowly baker or cook would actually use a powdered form.

So does anyone know how to prepare and use a dry powdered form of any of the following in a real recipe?

Specifically I am most interested in enhancing baked goods and adding stability to sauces, but would also like to know how to use them for other processes such as sausage-making too.
      E471 Mono- and diglycerides of fatty acids E481 Sodium stearoyl lactylate E482 Calcium stearoyl lactylate E472e DATEM (diacetyl tartaric acid ester of mono- and diglycerides)
        Thanks.
    • By mjbarnard
      I cooked two turkey breasts sous vide. This year had access to the Meater+ thermometer probe which I managed to vacuum seal in the bag without difficulty (it is small). Since it works wirelessly I was able to monitor and it records the internal temperatures at the thickest part of the breast.
      I thought the results were interesting. I cooked at 60C for 8 hours. I have always used https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/a-better-way-to-turkey-cook-that-bird-sous-vide-for-the-best-feast-ever which gives long cooking times at lower temperature. I have found that as according to this page https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/11/sous-vide-turkey-breast-crispy-skin-recipe-thanksgiving.html that 55C gives turkey which is just a little too pink for most tastes. Over the last few years have increased the temperature up to 59/60 and I find it perfect - very moist and tender, but pale not pink.
      See attached images. I changed my mind a couple of times and started at 58 then 60 then 59 again, so ignore the slight variations. The thing I found interesting was that the thickest part (of a large breast) reached 55C in around 1 hour 40 mins and target of 59 in 2 hours 30 mins. Now I appreciate that sous vide is a combination of temperature and time or duration, but the data make me think that around 4 hours would be sufficient, as per the seriouseats table. I have previously used the chefsteps 55-58 for their much longer advised times, up to 12 hours and the meat is still quite pink at the end, so I dont believe 55 for 12 hours would effectively be the same.
      From now on I will watching the internal temperatures with interest. This has always been the (relative) unkown for sous vide amateurs. 

• By chefg
      I have to say designing the Alinea kitchen has been one of the most exciting experiences thus far in the opening of this restaurant. I have been fortunate to have been “raised” in some of the best kitchens in the country. When I arrived at the French Laundry in August 1996 the “new kitchen” had just been completed. Often times you would hear the man talk about the good old days of cooking on a residential range with only one refrigerator and warped out sauté pans with wiggly handles. When I started about 50% of the custom stainless steel was in place. The walls smooth with tile and carpet on the floors. I recall the feeling of anxiety when working for fear that I would dirty up the kitchen, not a common concern for most cooks in commercial kitchens.
      The French Laundry kitchen didn’t stop, it continued to evolve over the four years I was there. I vividly remember the addition of the custom fish/canapé stainless unit. Allowing the poissonier to keep his mise en place in beautiful 1/9 pan rails instead of the ice cube filled fish lugs. Each advancement in technology and ergonomics made the kitchen a more efficient and exacting machine.
      When I returned to the Laundry this past July for the 10th anniversary I was shocked that it had metomorphisized once again. The butcher room was now a sea of custom stainless steel low boys, the pot sink area was expanded, the walk-in moved, and an office added to the corner of the kitchen. The kitchen as I left it in June of 2001 was beautiful and extremely functional, of course it is even more so now. It is the relentless pursuit of detail and concise thought that allows the French Laundry kitchen to be one of the best for cooks to execute their craft…..16 hours a day.
      This was good motivation.
      When it came time to design my kitchen I drew on experiences at Trio, TFL and other kitchens I was familiar with to define the positives and negatives of those designs. We were faced with a 21x 44' rectangle. This space would not allow for my original kitchen design idea of four islands postioned throughout the kitchen, but ultimately gave way for the current design which I think is actually better than the original. But most the important aspect in shaping the final design was the cuisine. Due to the nature of food that we produce a typical layout with common equipment standards and dimensions do not work. Here is where the team drew on our experiences from Trio. By looking at the techniques we utilized we came to several conclusions.
      1. A conventional range was not our main heat source. We do need the flat tops and some open burners for applications such as braising and limited stock work. But our overall use of this piece of equipment is somewhat low. Given that we wanted four open burners and two flat tops with two ovens I began to source out a reliable unit. We settled on the Molteni G230.

2. Upon analyzing our other heat source needs we decided to place a large focus on induction. By utilizing portable induction burners we are allowed the flexibility to give as much power as needed to a specific station in the kitchen. Obviously induction’s radiant heat is very low, and this allows us to keep the temperature in the kitchen reasonable, yet the power is quite high. 31,000 BTU's of highly controlable heat. But the main reason for choosing this flexible source of heat is the fact that each chef typically employed at least four different cooking applications on a given night. This huge flux in technique and the realization that the menu would change entirely in 8 weeks time meant that we had to design a kitchen that could evolve on a nightly basis. And last, we are very specific with temperatures; induction makes it easier for us to hold a liquid at a predetermined temperature for long periods of time without fluctuation. They operate between 85 and 500 degrees farenheit. We did a great deal of research on the different producers of induction and favored Cooktek. The fact that they are the only U.S manufacturer of commercial induction cooking equipment and located in Chicago made the decision easier. Their innovative approach to induction may prove to be even more exciting as we are already talking about new product development in the future.

3. a. The complexity of the presentations and a la minute plate-ups of the food require a great deal of surface area devoted to plating. This was one of the most critical factors in determining the basic shape of the kitchen. The size of some of today's popular plates, the amount detail in each composition, coupled with the fact that producing tasting menus vs. ala carte means sometimes large waves of same dish pick ups made it necessary for us to have over 44' of linear plating surface.
      b. Virtually nothing goes vertical above the 36” counter top in the space. All food, plates, equipment, and dry good storage are contained by under counter units. There are a few exceptions such as the infrared salamanders, the three-door refrigerator, and the hood. This allows all the cooks a clear line of communication between each other and the front staff. It allows me an easy sight line to survey the entire kitchen’s progress with a quick glance.
      Given these two points it seemed obvious that we needed to combine the two and create custom pieces that would fulfill both needs. Large spans of plating surfaces with all food and equipment storage below. As you can see we ended up with two 22’ long units. Each function as a pass and under counter storage.
      The building is 21’ wide wall to wall. This allowed us just enough space to create two lines on each exterior wall with their passes forming a 60” corridor for the pick up of plates and finishing of dishes.
      4. We decided to add a station to the kitchen. At Trio we had five including:
      a. pastry
      b. cold garde manger
      c. hot garde manger
      d. fish
      e. meat
      Now that we had more space, and the ability to give each station multiple heat
      sources regardless of their location in the kitchen, we could spread the workload even further. We also realized it doesn’t make much sense to identify each station by classic French Bragade terms. A saucier did not solely cook meat with classic techniques and prepare various traditional stocks and sauces…in fact quite the opposite. This holds true with most of the stations, with the exception of pastry, but even they will have very unconventional techniques, menu placement and involvement in the kitchen systems. We will add a station that will be responsible for a large majority of the one-bite courses both sweet and savory.
      5.Given the size constraints of the building we realized a walk-in would not be possible in the kitchen. If we were to have one it would be in the basement. Having experienced this at Trio we decided to design the kitchen without a walk-in, making up for the space in various lowboy locations and a three-door reach-in. I experienced the walk-in less environment when I worked at Charlie Trotter’s. It is certainly different, but as with most things if done properly it provides a very efficient environment. It works best in situations where fresh products are brought in daily for that days use. And prevents ordering in large quantities. It also provides us with very specific units to house different items. We will utilize the 3-door refrigerator to store the majority of the vegetables and herbs along with some staple mise en place, and items that cannot be made in very small quantities like stocks. Raw meat will have it’s own lowboys as well as fish, dairy, and all frozen products.
      6. At Trio we found ourselves using the salamander a great deal. It is very useful for melting sugar, bringing on transparent qualities in things like fat and cheese, cooking items intensely on only one side, and it is a highly controllable non-direct heat source. Due to the air gap between the foodstuff and the heat elements the cook can control the degree of heat applied to the dish based on the technique he is using. It becomes a very versatile tool in the modern kitchen, so much so that we will install three Sodir infrared salamanders.

Again, this is to insure that all the cooks have access to all of the techniques in the kitchen. As I said before it is important for our cooks to be able to sauté, simmer, poach, fry, grill, salamander, and freeze at the same time and sometimes for the same dish.
      We have a few unusual pieces of equipment in the kitchen; the most is probably a centrifuge. A few months ago Nick and I were driving home from a design meeting and ended up talking about signature dishes and menu repetition. Of course the black truffle explosion came up and he asked if I would have it on the menu at Alinea. I replied a firm no, but shortly thereafter said I would enjoy updating it. We threw around some tongue and cheek ideas like White Truffle Implosion, and Truffle Explosion 2005….I said it was a goal of mine to make a frozen ball with a liquid center….but then dismissed it as nearly impossible. Within a few minutes he said …”I got it…we need a centrifuge” His explanation was simple, place the desired liquid in a spherical mold and place on the centrifuge…place the whole thing in the freezer. Within days he had one in the test kitchen. I guess this is better suited for the kitchen lab topic that we will be starting in a few weeks…
      We are working on a upload of the kitchen blueprints. When those post I plan on going into more detail about certian aspects of the design. Doing so now would be pointless as the viewer does not have a reference point.