• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Joe Franklin's Restaurant

Kim WB

On the coldest day of the year, I brought some teens and myself into NYC for a Broadway show. We had plans to eat at China Club, and then over to the Plymouth Theatre. After an hour plus backup at the Lincoln , we were late and grouchy. I suggested a back up plan, just park near the theatre, go to Grand Szechuean for a quick bite, and then the show. Grumbling teens, frigid weather, inappropriate footwear, lack of hats, ( why do 15 year olds think they are invincible?) and a quickly ticking show clock landed us at Joe Franklin's. I didn't care, just get these little pain in the asses settled, out of the cold, and fed..and get me a stiff drink or two..then onto Boy George and Taboo.

Ok, I can't believe a place like this can be in business. First of all, its prime realestate and its BIG. I understand the concept of Tourist Trap ( though I was the only one in our party who knew who Joe Franklin was) but it was empty. 6 diners at 7 pm. Horrible menu, horrible food..hey, I knew that going in the door. But it was unimaginably horrible! Not even close to Friday's or Houlihans or whatever. All in this big cavernous space.

It really was a reminder of just how bad a restaurant can be. Raviolis still partially frozen. Salmon so grey it was spooky. Choc mousse so plastic it bounced.

And, to anyone interested, ignore the reviews and the gossip. Taboo is simply one of the best casts, best shows ever.

Edited by Kim WB (log)

kim, what happened to the BBQ? jeesh.

Virgils is "reservations strongly suggested"..they hadnothing avail for 4 ppls until 7:30, and even a follow up call at 6 to see if anything opened up, resulted in a "no,we are fully booked". It was cold, Tommy. sooooo coooold...we needed shelter more than food...and I needed a drink more than anything...I got what deserved, I know that. But their Bass Ale was good. The first one was ok, I was still defrosting. By the third one, I was almost thinking how charming my little testosterone charged group of gangly teens was!

I walked by Joe Franklin's about a year ago. All I could think of was that ridiculous impression that Billy Crystal used to do of him (this was back when Crystal himself actually had a career).

I also thought the decor was a monument to bad taste as well. Luckily I didn't have to suffer the food.

I was a bit confused by who this place was intended for as well. Aren't most of Franklin's "fans" dead or something? :wink: This is a man who already acted old in the 1960's.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

i saw joe franklin interviewed a while back.  seems he's at the restaurant several times a week, which is probably unusual for a celeb restaurant.  my grandmother would probably get a kick out of going.  but she's been dead for 10 years.

Jeez. Do they wheel him in or something?

EDIT - Surprisingly, he's only 77. Who knew? I thought he had to be at least 90.

Edited by jhlurie (log)

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Joe Franklin's Memory Lane, brought to you by the same people who bring you Houlihan's and TGIF.  :blink:
...and of course only the finest upscale cuisine.

That's funny!

Okay, I'll bite. Who the hell is Joe Franklin?

He had a crappy regional TV show for 40 years. Which nobody watched unless they were fond of the 1930's.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Wow. Since when did Franklin come up enough to the second half of the 20th century to have even HEARD of Steven Van Zandt? I mean Van Zandt is the 1970's, not the 1930's-1950's. Joe is so HIP now. :smile:

Joe Franklin's Favorite Things

Then again the voice of Chiquita Banana is there too (see that's the food link again... oh, forget it...)

If Joe Franklin didn't exist, somebody would have to invent him. The whole thing is just too funny. When he speaks he says "ladies and gentlemen". He drones. He talks non-stop about memorabilia (and was doing so in the 1950's apparently, for pity's sake). He introduced people as "the great and wonderful" or something hammy like that. And yet I suppose he deserves props in some way for being comfortable in his own time capsule.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

I happen to like much of the music he plays and if he drones on, he does so gently and doesn't bother me the way many other announcers do. I'm not a devoted fan, but if I happen to tune him in, I may listen for a few minutes at a time.

I prefer the Blanco & Blanco show on WNYE-FM, however. They play jazz and popular music from the teens through the 50s or so, but mostly from the 20s and 30s. Such sweet, beautiful music:

Click here and do an "Edit/Find" for "blanco" to find their listing.

And now, I'd better stop talking about music, I suppose. :laugh::raz:

Edited by Pan (log)

Michael aka "Pan"

A bit off-topic, but what the hey:

Taboo was a great show with an extraordinary cast, but I'm curious as to how the fifteen year-olds dealt with the very mature theme?

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

A bit off-topic, but what the hey:

Taboo was a great show with an extraordinary cast, but I'm curious as to how the fifteen year-olds dealt with the very mature theme?

This is a group of theatre kids, all perform regionally, most in heavy duty theatre programs of one sort of another..and you would need to know me to know just how socailly liberal I am with my kids... I mean, they were at their first Gay Lesbian Pride March when they were in snuglis and have been active since. So, the subject matter was something they were familiar with and prepared for. I thought it was tamer than Rent in a lot of ways, and thats the top teen attraction, I think.

And, to keep it on topic, Joe Franklin was there..all alone, at a four top, chatting withthe waitress, she said he eats there all the time, and then seats people who come in post show. It ws kinda sad, actually.

And, to keep it on topic, Joe Franklin was there..all alone, at a four top, chatting withthe waitress, she said he eats there all the time, and then seats people who come in post show. It ws kinda sad, actually.

So Joe likes Frozen Ravoili?

It could be worse for him. At least he somehow convinced someone to give him a fancy place to sit alone and ignored. Many people his age have to be satisfied with cat food for dinner alone at home. He gets the cat food in a place with his name on it, and certainly every 100th person or so who comes in must recognize him, and maybe one out of a thousand might actually want to chat with him. Plus he's got a place to dump all of that memorabilia crap.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"