• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

WTN: 1997 Quintarelli Primofiore Rosso Veronese

Brad Ballinger

1997 Quintarelli "Primofiore" Rosso Veronese, Vino di Tavola. There's corvina in here, I'm pretty sure. But there is also most definitely cabernet sauvignon. I'm not sure of the proportions or what else is in the blend. Initially, this wine had a lower acid level and concentration than the Valpollicelli and Ca' del Merlo wines I've had from Quintarelli. And those have been from older vintages. But this wine is forward and seems to be made for drinking now. The fruit was bright, spicy, and had a good hunk o' earth in it. With some aeration, it lost a little initial flabbiness, and took on that "snap," that I've found in other Q wines. It doesn't have the complexity to match with every dish, but it paired nicely with pizza. Still, for only an additional third of the cost, I probably prefer Valpolicella.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

Sometimes in Veneto they say Cabernet and mean Franc. I have found a lot of the Q stuff to be pricey and disappointing and I agree with you for a quarter of the price sometimes a nice Valp does the trick just fine. I will see if I can find the cepage on this one for the forum.

over it