• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Frog and the Peach

Rosie

We finally returned to The Frog and the Peach, 29 Dennis Street, New Brunswick and I am still gushing over our memorable, exquisite dinner prepared by the very gifted Chef Bruce Lefebvre and his staff. Did you know that this restaurant has been open twenty years? That is quite an accomplishment but no surprise as the service and food have been consistently outstanding since the first day that owners Betsy Alger and Jim Black opened the doors.

We nibbled on a warm roll served with herb butter while reading the creative menu that is so enticing it took us a long time to finally decide which dishes to order. I am impressed that the menu items are marked with a “v” (no meat or fish) and “o” (prepared with butter or heavy cream) to help the consumer make an appropriate choice. Also, stated on the menu was that “items are available with alternate, lower fat preparation as requested.” This willingness to please customers is appreciated and The Frog and the Peach is to be commended for going the extra mile.

We started off with a special spicy cranberry bean and escarole soup; pumpkin gnocchi with parsnips, toasted pumpkin seeds and sage brown butter; spinach salad with bacon, black olives vinaigrette, oven dried tomatoes and crispy red onions; and black pepper crepes with butternut squash confit, spiced pecans, and 24 year aged balsamic vinegar. At this point in our meal we were all swooning.

Entrees were a spectacular special of black sea bass with a red wine sauce; an outrageously wonderful duck breast with Black Mission figs, corn, tamarind glazed duck confit and sweet potatoes in a toasted coriander sauce; lamb shank which was gobbled up; and organic breast of chicken with roasted garlic spatzle, braised escarole, sun-dried cranberries and truffle-Madeira pan sauce. I cook alot of chicken at home but this chicken was nothing like any chicken dish that has made it to my kitchen table. I think at this point in our meal we stopped talking to each other as we were “lovin” the food so much.

When the desserts by pastry chef Rashad Bryant were tasted, we all sighed with pleasure. Do try the innovative sweet potato cheesecake (the pumpkin was layered under the cheesecake) with toasted almond, apricot chutney and mascarpone sauce. Not to be missed either is the apple strudel with hazelnut ice cream sitting on a corn flan. It was so fabulous that we were fighting over each spoonful. Also—what can I say about the chocolate tasting plate except it was a perfect ending to a faultless meal. And our waiter Richard was attentive to every need and charming without being obtrusive. He even heard everyone wishing me a Happy Birthday and QUITELY brought over a scoop of sorbet with a candle. Thank-you Richard. We left The Frog and the Peach with smiles on our faces and promises to each other to return to this superb restaurant sooner than a special occasion. Phone: 732-846-3216.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

• 1 month later...

We have a fantastic meal at the Frog and the Peach! I can tell you right now this place is going down as one of my favorites for 2004.

She had the grilled shrimp salad ($15). The shrimp, served over greens, were not overcooked and very tasty. For a meal she had the seared sea scallops with truffled carrot and leek purees, crispy pancetta and julienne mushroom salad with buttermilk truffle vinaigrette ($27) - outstanding.

I had the oysters with champagne and kiwi ($15) - very fresh and tasty. For a meal I had the root vegetable crusted lamb loin with goat cheese potato gratin, Julienne squash and parsley pesto ($34). The lamb was cooked to order and all the stuff paired together great!

She got the chocolate cake, which oozed with molted chocolate when broken. It was paired with vanilla ice cream ($10). I had the chocolate sampler ($11). I second Rosie, as it "was a perfect ending to a faultless meal."

What a great night, meal and B-Day gift. I'm drooling to go back! Thanks for the kick-off, Rosie.

:Dave

PS: is it true the former executive chef of the Frog and the Peach chef went to Lincroft Inn?

:D

Frog & Peach is very convenient (one long block) to the State Theater at New Brunswick and the George Street Playhouse. Both theaters have debuted work later presented on Broadway.

For NJ Transit train riders from NY, the restaurant is about five blocks from the station, just past the theaters.

Sample Menus are available on the website: Frog & Peach

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

A film will shot on February 24 from 5 to 8 PM at the Frog and the Peach, New Brunswick that will be shown on Continental Airlines during May or June as part of a "Best of" series. If you would like to be part of the action stop by the restaurant for a drink at the bar or for dinner that day and you might be captured on the film. For reservations call 732-846-3216.

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

• 5 months later...

Proprietors Jim Black and Betsy Alger, General Manager Nadia Musacchio and Executive Chef Bruce Lefebvre can be commended for the superb twenty-first birthday gala at The Frog and the Peach, New Brunswick on August 16, 2004. The evening started with passed hors d’oeuvres, champagne and wine. The following menu was served:

Oyster with a relish sauce

Arugula and Hunterdon County goat cheese with walnut oil and champagne vinegar (Villa Maria 2002 Sauvignon Blanc, Marlborough, New Zealand)

Summer herb crusted rack of lamb with smoked eggplant stuffed zucchini blossom, sweet pepper confit and balsamic lamb jus (Benziger 2001 Cabernet Sauvignon, Sonoma, California)

Peach parfait and almond cake with melba sauce (Coppo 2002 Moncalvina Moscato D’Asti, Piedmont, Italy)

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Proprietors Jim Black and Betsy Alger, General Manager Nadia Musacchio and Executive Chef Bruce Lefebvre can be commended for the superb twenty-first birthday gala at The Frog and the Peach, New Brunswick on April 16, 2004.

April?

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

Sounds like someone had a little too much wine last night! :laugh: Also sounds like she had a great meal!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Proprietors Jim Black and Betsy Alger, General Manager Nadia Musacchio and Executive Chef Bruce Lefebvre can be commended for the superb twenty-first birthday gala at The Frog and the Peach, New Brunswick on April 16, 2004.

April?

:wink: I fixed that to read August. Getting more senior moments these days.

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

• 9 months later...

Has anyone been recently? It's on the (increasing! ack!) list of restaurants we're thinking about for our anniversary. Thanks! :)

Joanna G. Hurley

"Civilization means food and literature all round." -Aldous Huxley

I'm far away, but would LOVE to try this wonderful-sounding restaurant someday. Yet I cannot help deja vu-ing back to a Dudley Moore/another comedian doing a back and forth bit about the restaurant that they started: The Frog and the Peach. They served two dishes only: Frog a la Peche and Peche a la Frog.

In each case, one was stuffed with the other with a lovely sauce. :blink:

Has anyone been recently? It's on the (increasing! ack!) list of restaurants we're thinking about for our anniversary.  Thanks! :)

It's hard for me to get back to the restaurants I love as I am always scouting new places. But I have always had exceptional dinners at The Frog and the Peach and highly recommend this restaurant.

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Funny you should ask...I just saw friends who dine at a lot of high-end restaurants pretty consistently (i.e. Ryland Inn every 2-3 months); they told me that they had dinner at The Frog and the Peach on Friday and were smacking themselves wondering why it had been over a year since their last visit. Although I didn't get to ask what they had, they just raved about the food and of course, the service. This was all unsolicited, btw!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Had lunch yesterday.

Nice green salad with hints of finely shredded/chopped and lightly candied ginger (I think), monk fish medallions with potatoes, bacon, herbs and a lovely fish scented sauce.

And then Chef Bruce Lefebvre sent out a complimentary cheese course that was a world tour of beautifully ripened cow, goat and sheep products. (I guess the wines I plied him with at a benefit tasting last Thursday worked.)

As always, the F & the P is one of the most consistently great restaurants in the state.

Kudos to Betsy and Jim, GM Jim Mullen, Chef Lefebvre and the entire staff for continuing to create great food in Central NJ.

All of the above, imho.

Phil

I have never met a miserly wine lover

Had lunch yesterday.

As always, the F & the P is one of the most consistently great restaurants in the state.

Kudos to Betsy and Jim, GM Jim Mullen, Chef Lefebvre and the entire staff for continuing to create great food in Central NJ.

Phil

This thread conviced me to take my family to TF&TP after my daughter's HS graduation from Pingry this Sunday.

Thank you.

Cirilo

"There is something uncanny in the noiseless rush of the cyclist, as he comes into view, passes by, and disappears."

Popular Science, 1891

Had lunch yesterday.

Phil

This thread conviced me to take my family to TF&TP after my daughter's HS graduation from Pingry this Sunday.

Thank you.

Cirilo

If you dont mind me asking, who's your daughter? I graduated from Pingry last year and am now home for the summer. It's good to see local posters on this board.

• 2 weeks later...
Cirlo--Be sure to give us a report and congratulations to the graduate.

Maybe because it was a Sunday or the size of my party, not all of us had a great time last week, some were disappointed but overall it was a positive experience.

The food was generally very good and here are a few of the noteworthy dishes. The Tuna Sashimi appetizer in Cucumber Salad, Lemongrass Broth, Tobiko appetizer was wonderful. The same can be said about the Seared Sea Scallops with Spring Succotash, Gaufrette Potato and the Moroccan Spiced Lamb Loin. I agree that the service is friendly and dependable as previously noted on this thread.

I believe TF & TP is still a very good restaurant but it is no longer the destination restaurant it used to be, at least for me. I used to go there more often in the early 90's and did not mind driving close to an hour but I do not think I will be going back soon. It's not that it has slipped but rather there are so many other great restaurants in the Westfield and Montclair corridor and most are within 20 minutes drive from my home. No need to mention names, you know who they are.

Cirilo

"There is something uncanny in the noiseless rush of the cyclist, as he comes into view, passes by, and disappears."

Popular Science, 1891

• 6 months later...

As I have stated up thread I thought the Frog and the Peach was a great place.. After Friday night's horror, I dont see myself ever returning.. Not just because of the horrible service, waiter, and experience, but because there are just better options food wise, in the area..

We arrived for our 830 reservation 10 minutes late.. Which I called ahead to tell the restaurant..My party of four arrived together and we were quickly given the we are better then you attitude.. With an empty restaurant we were forced to stand in the door way while they completely ignored us.. Finally, there were ready to seat us.. They walk us through the restaurant, up the stairs and at a table in the back..

Our waiter, who might have been the most affected person I have ever met, was just so impressed with himself. I have had many of waiters, I must say, this guy was one of the worst.. A waiter, especially at this level, is not there to impress you, he is not there to make you feel stupid, he is not there to be the center of attention.. His job is to enhance the meal, not control it.. This guy was rude, obnoxious, and incompetent..

Before the meal, my mother and girlfriend had mentioned they were freezing.. And my mother is a women who keeps her house 62 degrees on the nose in winter and summer.. We brought it to the attention of our waiter who quickly dismissed it. Its not cold, someone just opened a door in the front and you felt a draft.. Huh? Your restaurant has a door that opens into another room and then another door that opens into the restaurant.. He walks away..

Ten minutes later, my father is forced to go downstairs and ask the manager this time.. The manager comes up and confirms the fact that its cold.. I asked this guy as the waiter is standing there too, "Do you guys have a door open in here" Its not just cold, its FREEZING!!!! No, No, there isnt a door anywhere up here.. Really, I said, because I feel a draft coming from behind that curtain, are you sure there isnt a door open.. No, there is no door...

So we order.. I will have the duck please.. Sorry sir, but we are out of duck tonight.. About 15 minutes after we order, the bread comes out.. It was hot, sour dough, nothing special.. Served with herbed butter... About 20 minutes after the bread, actually we were served twice, the salads came out.. I got a venison carpaccio..

The carpaccio was average.. I have had better any other place I have tried it.. I am thinking it must have been pre-sliced and dried out.. The only saving grace of this dish was it gave me the idea to make mustard seeds looks like caviar..

Whatever vegetable was put on top, I think it was purple cabbage, it too was dried out. Almost like it was left in the fridge to long sliced and dried out.. It was difficult and unpleasant to eat..

gallery_15057_2187_305430.jpg

My family wanted to try the truffle gnocchi so we decided to get an entree version for the table after the salads... This too was a mistake.. There was another 20 to 25 minute lull in between them removing the salads and us getting the gnocchi.. The gnocchi was way to dense.. Not light and fluffy but way too heavy.. You cant serve a mash potato stuffed pasta with such a heavy truffle sauce.. The dish was extremely amateurish.. And to add this fried nonsense on top.. I dont need the grease from a deep fryer competing with the truffles..

gallery_15057_2187_682748.jpg

Maybe they made the gnocchi dish so heavy because they knew it was going to take another 25 minutes for the next course.. We wait and wait and wait.. And yes its still freezing.. And for some reason we sat there like morons.. And the waiter is now missing.. No drinks, no water, no nothing.. I wished this guy would leave and now he really isnt coming back.. Dinner arrives and we are now being served by someone not wearing a waiters uniform. Its a young kid who clearly is a bus boy.. Maybe they thought we wouldnt complain to him.. I dont know..

I ordered the pork chop.. It was a little over cooked.. Served with some wheat with bacon thrown in and deep fried collard greens scattered around the plate.. I would not serve this at my house.. On a scale of 1-10.. I would say this dish was a solid 4..

gallery_15057_2187_673603.jpg

My father and girlfriend got a scallop dish.. This was equally unsatisfactory.. The scallops were completely over cooked.. Or as our waiter who reappeared said, they were just slightly "moist".. Moist? What does that mean? Something about that terms is just so unappetizing... There were served on little white rice blocks..Rice that was smushed together to form a block.. With a lemon salad and get this.. Those little pools you see, well thats a curry sauce.. Ugh, it was just so gross.. And the rice adding no flavor, just really added that nice mushy texture that an overcooked scallop is missing.. Basically, my father and girl at the scallops of the rice cub and picked at the salad..

gallery_15057_2187_909985.jpg

For dessert we had a molten chocolate cake with ice cream.. (I have to interupt dessert the same way mine was interupted.. The boy who was sent as our waiter at one point of the evening WALKED THROUGH THE DINING ROOM WITH TWO BIG BAGS OF GARBAGE.. RIGHT PASSED OUR TABLE..) I was thinking they were going to start vacumming.. I make these almost once a week at home.. As well as my own ice cream.. I would expect at one of the Best Restaurants in New Jersey, it would be better then a home chefs.. It was not..

gallery_15057_2187_556427.jpg

The manager came over to ask us how dinner was.. I told him that you sat us in a freezing room and did nothing about it.. The food was sub-par, the service was terrible, and the spacing in between courses was unacceptable.. It was now 3 hours later and we are still having dinner.. He smiled and said, "I know, we are so short handed in the back and actually the guys back there arent that good" Oh really, thanks for pointing out the obvious.. Here the manager just admitted that he is aware that the restaurant is slow and bad.. I told him he should have told us how bad the place was before we had dinner..

The story ends with us waiting another 15 minutes for the valet. I wont even get into the fact that I am spening 75 bucks a person for a lousy dinner and they cant even provide valet service.. At the restaurant Daniel a 100,000 dollars a year is spent on just flowers.. I cant even get my car parked here for free... The best part of the night, as we drive by the restaurant we notice there is a double garage door opened that is leading right up the stairs to where our table was.. They never even checked to see if that door was open.. It turns out, me and my three dining companions are not infact stupid and really can determine when something is cold..

I would never go back here.. The place is a joke and is only keeping its status because Zagats says so.. The place is shamefull..

Edited by Daniel (log)

The manager came over to ask us how dinner was.. I told him that you sat us in a freezing room and did nothing about it.. The food was sub-par, the service was terrible, and the spacing in between courses was unacceptable.. It was now 3 hours later and we are still having dinner..  He smiled and said, "I know, we are so short handed in the back and actually the guys back there arent that good"  Oh really, thanks for pointing out the obvious.. Here the manager just admitted that he is aware that the restaurant is slow and bad.. I told him he should have told us how bad the place was before we had dinner..

The story ends with us waiting another 15 minutes for the valet. I wont even get into the fact that I am spening 75 bucks a person for a lousy dinner and they cant even provide valet service.. At the restaurant Daniel a 100,000 dollars a year is spent on just flowers.. I cant even get my car parked here for free...  The best part of the night, as we drive by the restaurant we notice there is a double garage door opened that is leading right up the stairs to where our table was.. They never even checked to see if that door was open.. It turns out, me and my three dining companions are not infact stupid and really can determine when something is cold..

I would never go back here.. The place is a joke and is only keeping its status because Zagats says so..  The place is shamefull..

You know Daniel I always look forward to your reviews. As I was reading this I was saying to myself that certainly you were going to bring all of these issues to management's attention. But, when I read their reaction to your complaints above, I was actually sitting here with my mouth hanging open. With all of the stellar reports that preceded yours about the food and the service, notwithstanding the Zagats rating, it's baffling that a restaurant would allow every aspect of their establishment to hit the skids, as it were.

Sorry about your group's lousy (and not cheap) dining experience.

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!