• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

94 Flowers, Pinot CMR

Florida Jim

1994 Flowers, Pinot Noir Camp Meeting Ridge:

For most of its life, this was fiercely tannic and so drying as to make leaving it in the cellar an easy choice.

Now, at ten years of age, that tannic bite has completely receded and has left soft, somewhat simple, fruit with a little too much oak to match my preference but not too much to pour it out. It reminds me of some of the Burgundy’s of Laurent; a nice, smooth texture to the fruit, little complexity and too much wood for me.

For those not as averse to wood, there is a spiciness that it lends to the juice and you may find the wine more complex for that reason. Even better, the wine does not dry out on the finish, which may say more about my oak sensitivity than the actual use of new barrels.

In any event, the $55, delivered, price tag is evidence of my poor judgment in buying a wine on emotion and not on track record. When I think of what $55, would have bought ten years ago . . .

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com

<<In any event, the $55, delivered, price tag is evidence of my poor judgment in buying a wine on emotion and not on track record. When I think of what $55, would have bought ten years ago . . .

Best, Jim

>>

Jim,

I sympathize with the above statement. 8-10 years ago they were the new up and coming PN and Chard superstar due to their relationship with Kistler and their vineyard location. They produce very nice wines but there are always better values around the corner. Oh well, lessons learned.....

Phil

I have never met a miserly wine lover