• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

WTN: Cygnus, Tasca d'Almerita 2000.

Andre

One wine show:

Nero d’Avola – Cabernet Sauvignon Cygnus 2000 by Tasca D’Almerita.

A wine maker friend was paying me a visit after a too long interval. After an update on the last vintage focusing on some of the diseases that strike the mature grapes [and the big question of how to deal with them without “extra” flavors in the wine, hunger struck.

I opened a bottle of the Cygnus 2000 while serving fresh tomato soup spiced with shredded Kholenjan, anis seeds and cumin.

By the time I served the second course the wine was starting to evolve in the glass:

An Excellent combination of the two grapes. A deep red ruby toward amber color. The nose is not very aromatic at the beginning but 10 minutes in the glass reveal mashed red dried prunes and black cherry liquor. The medium bodied velvety texture is dominated by dried prune syrup, with soft spices and already mature tannins. The 300 l. French oak barrels are skillfully blended in.

A brilliant job by the winemaker where the Nero d'Avola serves as the body and the ripe Cabernet provides most flavors.

The cheese quiche served with it, had a rich assorted cheese, nutmeg and allspice aroma that did not match the sweet aroma of the wine. In the mouth the wine and quiche blended in perfectly. The soft texture of the quiche was in perfect harmony with the soft texture of the wine.

The entrecote that was served as the main dish was a perfect match for the Cygnus. Aged medium rare with a little sauce based on deglazing with pinotage [ Swartland unoaked RSA ] with the addition of a bit of onion, garlic juice and mustard seeds.

Great matching with both dishes and a highly recommended wine.

Andre Suidan

I was taught to finish what I order.

Life taught me to order what I enjoy.

The art of living taught me to take my time and enjoy.

I think Nero D'Avola may turn into "the next big thing". It is a grape and wine varietal that is really just starting to get attention. I got turned on to it last year in Sicily. It is good :wub:

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

A very good point John.

The Nero d'Avola may provide the textute and body while other more dominant grapes may provide the flavor.

It may be regarded as the semillion in the white bordeaux blends.

Andre Suidan

I was taught to finish what I order.

Life taught me to order what I enjoy.

The art of living taught me to take my time and enjoy.