• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

WTN: Cirò DOC Rosso, Linardi, 1999

Alberto

Cirò Rosso comes form gaglioppo grape grown on the hills around the town of Cirò in Calabria.

Pale, translucent ruby/garnet with brick edge. Leather, mixed brown spices, incense and bitter cherries on the nose, all carried into a straight-forward palate marked by crisp tannins. Although relatively light-bodied shows good pace in the mouth. Robust, slightly nutty finish with again a light earthy bitterness. Austere but enjoyable and surely tasting of Southern Italy.

Cheers,

Alberto

Edited by Alberto (log)

Thanks for cluing me in on another Ciro producer, Alberto. I've been drinking Librandi wines for years, and have also enjoyed Odoardi and Fattoria San Francesco. I went to Linardi's website, and their gaglioppo imbianco, Galio, looks like something I'll search for. I hope it makes it to California.

Kriss Reed

Long Beach, CA

I went to Linardi's website, and their gaglioppo imbianco, Galio, looks like something I'll search for.

Oh my!

You have have grown me curious about that wine, so I visited their website (which I knew already but never read it in deep) and discovered that in my note I used the same descriptors they used for their reds! :cool: It's the first time. Serendipity? :huh:

Alberto